General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, kaerb said:

Yuzu's been coveting Boyang's 4Lz for an age and a half and I'm almost certain BOrser would have cleared it with all the skaters before taking on new charges especially with Yuzu if it's Boyang. I'm so excited about how they'll mutually challenge and push each other ( :

I suspect Orser would have asked Hanyu. Remember, Fernandez was asked by Orser whether he'd be happy to have Hanyu at TCC as well all those years ago. Remember also, that Orser did ask Hanyu about having Medvedeva at TCC. So I would be surprised if Orser didn't at least mention Jin to Hanyu before it was all confirmed.

6 hours ago, Bilge said:

I love the initial reaction he expresses in that clip - that look of slight bewilderment and stunned confusion. :laughing:

Reminds me of the time the compere told the audience that Yuzuru would take (and reply to) questions in English first at a press conference.

:english1:

8 minutes ago, Cerunias said:

I suspect Orser would have asked Hanyu. Remember, Fernandez was asked by Orser whether he'd be happy to have Hanyu at TCC as well all those years ago. Remember also, that Orser did ask Hanyu about having Medvedeva at TCC. So I would be surprised if Orser didn't at least mention Jin to Hanyu before it was all confirmed.

Oh absolutely. The thought of Brian bringing  Boyang in without asking Yuzu never even crossed my mind. After the whole misunderstanding with Yuna and Mao he knows better. 

Looking at the beauty his 4S, which used to be problematic and untamable to him, has become under the good influence of Fernandez, this can only spell good things for the future of his rather stubborn and capricious 4Lz (tho maybe not so much for his 4Lo, which altho slightly more trustworthy, has yet to prove it can coexist well with the 4Lz in a single program). And Hanyu being the bad influence/dirty enabler he is and Jin with the great height he can achieve may trigger the formation of 4Acricketbros4A v4A resulting in the final nail to the coffin of Orser's full head of hair. May it go gentle into that good night.

2 hours ago, Cerunias said:

I love the initial reaction he expresses in that clip - that look of slight bewilderment and stunned confusion. :laughing:

Reminds me of the time the compere told the audience that Yuzuru would take (and reply to) questions in English first.

:english1:

Hahah yeah i love his reactionxD

2 hours ago, Sammie said:

Oh absolutely. The thought of Brian bringing  Boyang in without asking Yuzu never even crossed my mind. After the whole misunderstanding with Yuna and Mao he knows better. 

I think he asked tuzu first too btw what happened between yuna and mao? (Its off topic but a brief info would be nice)

I just watched the opening and closing numbers of Fantasy and an idea came up, although it would send the tabloid speculation through the roof.  With both Zhenya and Yuzu training at the same facility it would be easy for the two of them to put together an exhibition program that included both of them, one that would not include the lifts and throws of regular pairs and ice dancing, but would have them skating synchronously and in other ways that would highlight their brands of artistry (spinning together, Bielmann together, etc) and also incorporate elements of their individual styles.  If they want to defuse the speculative frenzy maybe throw a third person into the mix (Javi?).  The two or three together would guarantee a total sell-out (realizing that Yuzu and Zhenya alone carry the clout to fill the seats).  Moreover it would set a precedent of sorts, where numbers in which popular solo skaters are teamed together in pairs, trios and even maybe quartets or more are performed. 

These would be choreographic challenges that if carried off would bring the audience to their feet.  Opera has long experience in creating ensembles ranging from duets (almost any opera since the Bel Canto era) to septets (Tales of Hoffmann) and even ballet has numbers greater than the standard pas de deux (pas de trois, pas de quatre).  If the pairs and dancers want to get into the act, there might be two or three pairs brought together for a number, with the partners being exchanged during their performance.  There are amazing opportunities for combinations that I'm surprised the ice shows have not realized, although I do realize there would be difficulties in putting together such numbers because of the geographic separation of skaters during the time when training is taking place for the upcoming season.  With Yuzu and Zhenya now that factor is removed and perhaps if Boyang's situation at TCC becomes more permanent he could be incorporated into the mix.  I have a feeling that part of the Chinese strategy for having Boyang go to Toronto is to put him into the international skating mix that extends beyond just the competitions.  They're hoping that TCC will create a Boyang brand just as it has for Yuzu and Javi and will probably do for Zhenya.  It's significant, I think, that she's doing ice shows now, at least doing them outside of Russia (I don't know if she's on the ice show circuit in Russia, or even if there is such a circuit there).

I have a feeling that Yuzu, if he decides to undertake producing ice shows after retirement, may not already be thinking along such lines.  He has the creative imagination to embrace such a concept.  Whatever the case I think Yuzu and Zhenya on the ice together would be sensational, the only reason making them hesitate being the knowledge that the tabloids and even the mainstream press would want to link them romantically rather than professionally.  If they think they can handle the media heat they might just do it.

19 minutes ago, micaelis said:

I just watched the opening and closing numbers of Fantasy and an idea came up, although it would send the tabloid speculation through the roof.  With both Zhenya and Yuzu training at the same facility it would be easy for the two of them to put together an exhibition program that included both of them, one that would not include the lifts and throws of regular pairs and ice dancing, but would have them skating synchronously and in other ways that would highlight their brands of artistry (spinning together, Bielmann together, etc) and also incorporate elements of their individual styles.  If they want to defuse the speculative frenzy maybe throw a third person into the mix (Javi?).  The two or three together would guarantee a total sell-out (realizing that Yuzu and Zhenya alone carry the clout to fill the seats).  Moreover it would set a precedent of sorts, where numbers in which popular solo skaters are teamed together in pairs, trios and even maybe quartets or more are performed.

Unfortunately, it'd be like throwing fat on the fire; all the more a shame because that could be a fantastic artistic collaboration. But just look at how Hanyu tried to douse the fire of gossip pre-emptively with his comments in the P&G talk re how the tabloids seem to be reporting on a completely different Yuzuru Hanyu (which can be taken as a measure of the extent of gossip present such that he felt required to bring up the topic spontaneously without being asked and compelled to make the remarks he did). To be frank, I'm not entirely sure how effective that pre-emptive strike was, given that the tabloids could just sell it as him being coy - to tabloids, attention and interest, whether negative or positive, is their lifeline. The worst possible thing for tabloids would be for people to just be disinterested.

A line of thought in psychology is that although love and hate are often described as being diametrically opposed, ie polar opposite, in reality, there's only a thin line between them - they both require a certain strength of emotion towards someone. Not caring, ignoring, that's like the true polar opposite - there is no emotion towards that someone. Hence the saying that the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference.

In a similar way, the lifeline for tabloids are those who are pro/wishful/hopeful for some particular rumour to be true (let's aliken that to 'love') and those who are fiercely against that some rumour (let's aliken that to 'hate') generate interest - both have that strength of emotions towards something (not necessarily someone in this instance) that help drive the sales of tabloids. When people don't care, and they ignore the issue, there's no interest. No interest = no sales. And sales is the ultimate bottom line for tabloids.

...I should stop rambling on...

Freely admitting to not knowing either Mr Fernandez or Mr Hanyu, but let me opine anyways!  I think Yuzu grew as a person as well as a skater from sharing ice with Javi; it was another lesson that he doesn't have to do it all alone. Maybe Javi was a peer on ice but a senpai in life.  Yuzu may have brought a keener edge to Javi's competitive instincts (not saying he was not crazy competitive to begin with, and he has also experienced a lot).  So maybe in that aspect he was learning from Hanyu senpai. It is a testament to all involved that they built each other up instead of tearing each other down. 

So now with BJin, Mr Hanyu may again take on the role of senpai (he's older and has more accomplishments under his belt) except in the matter of certain jumps- then the student becomes the teacher. I hope it's all as harmonious as possible. 

7 hours ago, Msyloves said:

I'm amazed with Yuzu's fearlessness. I'm not sure if Orser asked him about having Boyang Jin in TCC but to have a rival on the ice with you...

Javi is one amazing person 💖 and now there's Yuzu 💖💖💖

What are you saying? Boyang is one amazing person as well.

9 minutes ago, Salcow said:

What are you saying? Boyang is one amazing person as well.

What I'm saying is Javi is amazing for agreeing to have Yuzu in TCC even if they are competitors. That Yuzu is amazing for agreeing to have Boyang in TCC even if Boyang can become an eventual rival.

I'm sure a lot of other skaters are amazing people, but I only follow Yuzu so I only know others through their interaction with Yuzuru. I hope Boyang gets a Pooh from Yuzuru 🌻😊

39 minutes ago, Yoa said:

So according to TSL Jason Brown is moving to Brian. So... Yuzuru will try to steal Boyang's jumps, Jason's spins and spirals and Evgenia's consistency :peekapooh:

wut wait WHAT?

I think TSL has been saying everyone and their mothers are going to TCC, so I wouldn't trust them, but apparently it's true everyone and their mothers are moving to TCC so idk what to think anymore:headdesk2:

Re: amazing people accepting their competitors on their rink, my opinion under spoiler because long and boring

Spoiler

for sure many skaters are amazing people other than amazing athetes.

But what's amazing in these circumstances is that people like Javi or Yuzu are willing to work side by side, everyday, with someone that could become/already is a direct competitor for the very same medals they want (while being much younger, Yuzuru had a bronze medal while Javi had Euro goldnope wrong year whops, Yuzu had won over Javi at COR and Javi bronze in GPF while Yuzu 4th, so they were already direct competitors).

It's not an easy feat, Yagudin leaving Mishin (who also coached Plushenko) is a prime example of what happens when you put two bulls together, and we've seen Eteri couldn't really work things out between her 2 top skaters. I remember there were frictions between D/W and V/M when they trained together with Marina, though they spent many fruitful years training together (I found it funny that when V/M came back in 2016-2017 they chose to train where they would be side by side with their direct competitors, P/C).

Usually one of the parts wins, and the other caves in. It's a fine balance, and even if the surrounding environment is good, you got to have the right mix of personalities for things to work out.

It's not surprising TCC had some hard times, on the contrary, it was only natural, with Yuzu being his hypercompetitive self, but a good thing is that Yuzuru always blames himself for his failures and always wants to overcome, so after two Worlds silver and a bad injury and lots of people discarding him off altogether he still persisted and persisted and believed that he could make it, until he got what he wanted.

So Yuzuru being very strict with himself and his challenging attitude manage to temper his crave for always being the first, and he can overcome disappointments. Javi is a bit less competitive, compared to Yuzu, and in general more relaxed outside of the ice rink, too (as Brian never fails to remind us:P Javi has a very active social life not-skating related, while Yuzu is more focused even when he isn't training, with his hermit habits studies and his earphones and games).

Someone who is constantly afraid and with low-esteem, or even people with average self-esteem tbqh, would not want the mental stress of having a competitor watching them all the time, watching every flaw, every slip, every failure, nor would want to watch said competitor be better.

In that sense Yuzu and Javi are "amazing", in not being afraid of such a wearing mental challenge.

imo it's hard to say "yes" when you are given the choice between just leaving things as they are, as you know them, with the usual routine in your rink, and taking a big risk, choosing a change that could completely disrupt your safe world.

"Allow someone else to change the home where you are perfectly fine" is a different challenge than "leaving your home for your own sake", imo. Most of the time those who leave home have very, very strong motivations to do so, while people have less to gain from "letting other people come in their home". The resistance in accepting changes is stronger when you do not need any change.

So, in this sense, both Javi and Yuzu are brave because they said "ok, bring my rival to me, on my rink, to watch me all the time, watch me as I fail and make me watch him as he does better than me. I won't lose"

This is only my view.

tho also, Yuzuru probably: yasssssss, let them alllllll come, so I can steal moarrrrrrrr:biggrin:

seriously, he's quite good at "stealing" things from other, starting from Plushy's Biellman and Arakawa's laybackIB, Johnny's arms variations on spins (+costumes), Mao's 3A, Javi's 4S...long list:laughing:)

9 hours ago, TallyT said:

He and Javi are textbook examples of how, when it's the right people, it can lift both of them to heights they might never have reached without their partnership - and how, when it's the right people, it can show the whole sport what really great sportsmanship is about (for me, the two of them set the tone that has made the recent top flight of men such a lovely, respectful, friendly and yet still fiercely competitive group).

3 hours ago, Whee1000 said:

Freely admitting to not knowing either Mr Fernandez or Mr Hanyu, but let me opine anyways!  I think Yuzu grew as a person as well as a skater from sharing ice with Javi; it was another lesson that he doesn't have to do it all alone. Maybe Javi was a peer on ice but a senpai in life.  Yuzu may have brought a keener edge to Javi's competitive instincts (not saying he was not crazy competitive to begin with, and he has also experienced a lot).  So maybe in that aspect he was learning from Hanyu senpai. It is a testament to all involved that they built each other up instead of tearing each other down. 

People on PH stop making me emotional about Yuzu and Javi challenge :) 

28 minutes ago, Yoa said:

According to TSL Jason Brown is moving to Brian. So... Yuzuru will try to steal Boyang's jumps, Jason's spins and spirals and Evgenia's consistency :peekapooh:

That last one went slightly downhill with the injury though :animated-smileys-hands-fingers-01:. Still, Zhenya's consistency is amazing, but so is Yuzu's. Are there any other athletes that have always been consistently 1st and - when not in their best conditions - 2nd in the last few years? 

7 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Nah, Yuzu's spins are better.

And jumps, too, unless we're talking solely about the height on the 4Lz.

he can steal Jason's spirals :tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5: and Boyang's tailor:biggrin:

ETA: and his gold blades and gold jacket:animated-smileys-hands-fingers-01: