General Yuzuru Chat

Three stable quads is the most anybody has, if you're really talking about properly stable. Yuzu has the two landed edge quads and the toe loop. Nathan has the the toe ones. His edge jumps are not dependable, he stumbles on his 4S and has landed the 4Lo the way Yuzu has landed the 4Lz. But it will encourage Shoma to focus on the 4S which is good, his 4S is decent. 

This, combined with the GOE range, really won't hurt Yuzu much as it stands because he has +4 GOE 3A even on most of his bad days. Even if he only does three quads and two 3As, making up the last two with his 3F and his 3Lz, it would be very very difficult for anybody to overtake his score with his quality even with five quads and two 3As consistent with the quality we have seen from them so far. Odds of Yuzu skating clean also goes up if he does, say, 4Lo, 3Lz and 3F in the first half, 4S, 4T and two 3As in the second half. With his current level of stamina, he can put that 4T and two 3As in combo in the second half. Even if he moves the 4S to the first half to give him room for all that in choreo, bringing his 3Lz back to the second half instead, he'd still score well because his second half 3A combos are wonderful. 

I don't see these proposals, even if they're passed, hurting Yuzu unless feds put all semblance of unbiased judging on a rocket and shoot it out of the atmosphere. 

I do see some of these silly rules hurting figure skating as a whole, but they don't seem to care much about that, so. :shrug: 

23 minutes ago, Cerunias said:

"Mewtwo"!

I could barely see him, I must admit, but then again, I should have known better than to expect him be anywhere but the middle!

Who deseves to be ace if it's not him :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:He looks like a stunning sunflower in the photo :tumblr_inline_n18qraikFP1qid2nw:

2 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

don't see these proposals, even if they're passed, hurting Yuzu unless feds put all semblance of unbiased judging on a rocket and shoot it out of the atmosphere. 

I do see some of these silly rules hurting figure skating as a whole, but they don't seem to care much about that, so. :shrug: 

Basically me about these changes for reals... well said 100% agree!! 

And because I trust ISU so little, so I actually fully expect them to misuse nd abuse these new rules. They have done nothing to ever make me think they would actually properly implement the rules. It's the most frustrating thing on earth tbvh. 

7 hours ago, dotsquare said:
7 hours ago, kaerb said:

cryptid sighted Ci

Omg is that Yuzu in the centre with his arms up in the air? It's so great seeing him with other skaters! (especially Javi :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:)

It probably is, since it's Fantasy on Ice.  Yuzu is the major headliner with FoI so it's normal for them to highlight Yuzu in many ways.  Remember that one performance where all the guys are wearing regular fabric trousers but Yuzu's lower half is decked out in PVC (fairly skin-tight, also).  Since 2014 Yuzu's always been the last to be introduced in Fantasy performances (saving the best for last).  So, as I said, it's probably Yuzu there (Who else might it be?)

Some thoughts on the rule changes - As I've commented before, I think it's Yuzu who will benefit most from the changes.  The shortening of the FS means that those who are putting the maximum number of jumping passes into their program and require significant setup time to launch will have less time to spend on other elements - spins, steps, choreo.  Yuzu, as one writer here informed me, masks his setups by complex moves rather than just skating all out to get airborne.  All those moves are garnering him PCS points.  Secondly, the changes in the GOE range from 3 to 5 means that there is greater flexibility in granting pluses or minuses by the judges and if it works the way it's hoped it will, the judges will be less inclined to go full tilt on extras, giving a full five for what can only be described as elements executed beyond perfection.

Changes I wish they'd put in would have been increasing penalties for multiple falls - minus one point for the first fall, minus two for a second, etc.  That would make skaters more cautious in planning out their programs.  They'll be more inclined to skate safe.  Another change would be to tinker with the PCS scoring in such a way as to bring it more into balance with TES scores.  Exactly how to do that I don't know but I'm sure there must be a way.

As for the rule of no duplicated quads, while I think it might work to Nathan's advantage I'd say that Yuzu would still come out the winner there since with the expanded GOEs he'd be able to up his score by doing absolutely beautiful triples, particularly his patented 3A.  The person I think will most benefit from this is Stephen Gogolev, who according to Brian (who doesn't generally exaggerate) has been doing all the quads (meaning those other are capable of doing) since the ripe old age of twelve.  Stephen still has a lot of growing to do so his jumping may be in jeopardy as the inches pile on and the core migrates to unfamiliar places but I think Brian, after the problems with Nam, is already working on schemes to get Stephen through those difficult times.  He has the luxury of having had Stephen as a student since age seven and I wouldn't be surprised if even now Brian's been working with Stephen to get him past the upcoming problems and discussed with him what to expect.

In closing, I'm not worried about the rules changes since I see Yuzu as actually benefiting the most from them.  It's almost as if the ISU, seeing the quad problem emerging and the imbalance between TES and PCS, looked at Yuzu's skating and put together changes that make his skating the model for others and the one likeliest to score maximum points.