General Yuzuru Chat

Can I ask something? I have this mental image (maybe I dreamed it, which is a worry) of a photo where Jason and Yuzuru had switched gala costumes - Jason in the pale blue flowered top is burned into my brain.

Does anyone remember or have a copy of such a thing?

8 minutes ago, TallyT said:

Can I ask something? I have this mental image (maybe I dreamed it, which is a worry) of a photo where Jason and Yuzuru had switched gala costumes - Jason in the pale blue flowered top is burned into my brain.

Spoiler

TaJPSvX.jpg

LOL

Lol When was that? So adorable... I'm wondering whether there's any video. 

Also I literally registered to ask this. There's a pic showing yuzu sitting on Jeremy's lap. I think it was during a gala practice. Was there video about it? 

38 minutes ago, TallyT said:

I think this was a photoshopped image from Worlds in Shanghai 2015. The blue flowered top is for Final Time Traveler.

42 minutes ago, skateIT said:

Also, I'm pretty sure he did not consider quitting just because the rink was damaged. He was the 2010 World Jr Champion at the time, it was far from a hobby to drop due to lack of access. Can a more long term fan correct me? I want to say he considered quitting because of all the devastation/feeling it wasn't as important when people lost everything. And then when he was invited to the ice show a few months later and saw how people responded to his skating he decided to continue. Again, please do not take this as official, I just wanted to check.

You are correct. There were different conflicts inside him, understandably so, that led him to questioning whether to continue skating or not. Risking your life and not only that, your whole country and family, definitely makes you question everything and is so much to elaborate for a 16 years old. Explaining it is difficult, but it was definitely not only for the lack of a practice rink that he had doubts about continuing his athletic carreer. 

23 hours ago, Victoria said:

What's "search score"? He ranks higher than rafael nadal/sharapova/serena williams on that??

Looks like it's a measure of how often people search his name eg on Google. It would be somewhat inflated than a "typical year" because of the PC Olympics and how he was the first man in 66 years to defend his OGM - that would've generated some headlines, which would have led to some people googling his name a bit more.

The ESPN article is a real shame though. I honestly do believe you could've written that by just sitting in front of a computer and googling for info...the whole article just seemed superficial. For other athletes, they linked to webpages about that athlete's stats for the last season (or more) and so on eg Ronaldo, LeBron. I can understand they don't link to eg an ISU page of Hanyu's stats (particularly given he was out for much of the 2017/18 season), but it strikes me that a fair comparison with the other athletes would be if the article mentioned not only back to back OGM but how he has broken world records not just once, but multiple times, often beating his own records. I can't remember where it was, but there was another media outlet that tried to draw comparison with how he has broken his own world record by scaling the scores to be equivalent to Bolt's 100m record and what the new 'scaled record' Bolt would need in the 100m. And then emphasised that Hanyu hasn't just done it in the "100m equivalent" but also the "200m equivalent" as well. I think for newcomers to the sport, this helps give a sense of Hanyu's sporting achievement.

39 minutes ago, Cerunias said:

Looks like it's a measure of how often people search his name eg on Google. It would be somewhat inflated than a typical year because of the PC Olympics and how he was the first man in 66 years to defend his OGM.

I got curious and checked google trends (worldwide), yep olympic year.

2018-05-22_1631.png

RE: the ESPN article reads almost as an abridged version of the NYTimes article but instead of NHK it's the Sendai parade. (The only Pooh-centered article I accept it's the disney one since they have a legitimate interest on that xD)

38 minutes ago, Victoria said:

I got curious and checked google trends (worldwide), yep olympic year.

2018-05-22_1631.png

hmmm.  Do Japan Novice Champs happen in Nov?  Only thing I see that happened in 2004 unless it's a different Yuzuru Hanyu.  I wonder why it was pointed out - doesn't look any more remarkable than a lot of the other blips.

Dec. 2012 - Grand Prix Final, 1st Japanese National Championship

Feb. - Sochi Olympics

Nov. 2014 - COC crash

Dec 2015 - 6 (?) world record scores - Wow, weirdly I never thought of it that way.  That was quite a month.

Apr 2017 - another world record

Feb 2018 - Pyeongchang Olympics

He really makes news every time something interesting happens in his career.

I've been wondering lately for those that live in Japan - we know he's the most popular athlete there.  How famous are he and Shoma compare to other public figures in Japan or Asia?

8 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

hmmm.  Do Japan Novice Champs happen in Nov?  Only thing I see that happened in 2004 unless it's a different Yuzuru Hanyu.  I wonder why it was pointed out - doesn't look any more remarkable than a lot of the other blips.

Dec. 2012 - Grand Prix Final, 1st Japanese National Championship

Feb. - Sochi Olympics

Nov. 2014 - COC crash

Dec 2015 - 6 (?) world record scores - Wow, weirdly I never thought of it that way.  That was quite a month.

Apr 2017 - another world record

Feb 2018 - Pyeongchang Olympics

He really makes news every time something interesting happens in his career.

I've been wondering lately for those that live in Japan - we know he's the most popular athlete there.  How famous are he and Shoma compare to other public figures in Japan or Asia?

The red annotations are mine, I just marked the 'earliest' I saw xD

Some more google trends (I always thought kei nishikori was the most popular japanese athlete (Never underestimate mr hanyu I guess)

2018-05-22_1732.png

18 minutes ago, Victoria said:

The red annotations are mine, I just marked the 'earliest' I saw xD

Some more google trends (I always thought kei nishikori was the most popular japanese athlete (Never underestimate mr hanyu I guess)

2018-05-22_1732.png

oh.  woops, one of these days I'll learn how google works :P

Kei Nishikori was the most popular last year.  Hanyu, and I think a few others, passed him in the most recent poll.  Makes sense - Kei's been around a while without winning anything major and his career is on the downslide.

8 hours ago, Danibellerika said:

@kiches  and I were asked about his looks from the Japanese media when we were specifically trying to talk about the skating, so yeah, they don't care much either.  

I've shared this article with some of my friends who don't know a lot about skating or him and they said they enjoyed reading it, finding it insightful and finding him a bit more interesting.  The guy is a champion, so maybe it's already established that he's pretty darn good and they don't think it needs much elaborating.  

The article was fluff piece as most of these things are. I think it is amazing that he is the only FS solidly in the top 100!!