That's just a bunch of bears.

8 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

I thought that was a giraffe...?

YCiK627.jpg

2 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

No. This tumblr post speaks the truth.

:rofl: i was like "does that look like a bear to you?"

5 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

I'm just glad they covered him without any inaccuracies or mentioning Nathan?

Agreeed, it's not a hard bar if you don't include many facts, but I agree :2thumbsup:

I don't even know why i expected anything different from the ESPN article :2:

It'll take some time before the US media lets go of this Pooh thing, if they ever do. For example, i really like this kpop group, BTS, that has started breaking into the US market. It's been about a year and a few months since they really got the ball rolling faster and people are still writing very superficial articles about them in respected publications. To date i think we've got one (1) well researched introduction interview in a nice publication and at most two handfuls of good and insightful articles. Media coverage takes time, and i've never really had the patience for it so things like this makes me frustrated. Hopefully things get better and not worse in the future for both BTS and Yuzu. 

3 hours ago, ruruzest said:

The two sides of a coin , a golden and very shiny coin , Mr. Yuzuru Hanyu. ( did he deny “I’m not a prince “ when the interviewer insisted he was one?

I remember Yuzutao mentioned that after this small interaction, the female interviewer could not stop gushing about him, fangirling over how polite, nice, wonderful and absolutely gorgeous he is :rofl:

45 minutes ago, Victoria said:

Thanks!! So he scored 70 based only on his search score xD

It's PC 2018 all over again :darklordyuzu:

22 minutes ago, yuzupon said:

I have a different experience. Some of my friends who follow other sports pretty religiously (international football, baskeball, tennis) are aware of the list and so they contacted me about it since they know I like Yuzu and he is on the list. I directed them to the article, and their follow up questions were "so, he is kinda an idol because he is beautiful?" "apart from winning while injured, how good is he actually?" "Pooh?"

I mean, it's still good, cz I then can "educate" them about Yuzu, but well. That said quite a lot about how (not) informative that article is.

Kinda related, but all of us also follow Badminton, and we shared a good laugh at the inclusion of the only shuttler on the list. Nothing against her personally, but when talking badminton, she is nowhere near the level of the legends of the other sports included in the list. Which goes to say, the list is not self-explanatory for sports US is largely rather ignorant about.

The list is about who is famous and his fans and pooh are a large part of the "why" whether we like it or not. The list doesn't include hockey or baseball players either which we should have a pretty good handle on here, so grain of salt away I guess.  

I am wondering about a few things. Did they include his name in kanji for google search score? If not, they basically excluded searches made by Japanese people. Also the most popular search engine in Japan is Yahoo. And I am sure he has a lot of searches in China too but they used Baidu score only for Chinese athletes. 

The ESPN feature was pretty much what I expected, and not too bad as I didn't expect it to go very deep unless he somehow cracked top 10. It's a list of top 100 famous athletes so the focus was on their fame more than anything else. The Pooh thing is just going to be attached to his name no matter who is reporting (even Japanese media talk about it). The fact that they mentioned his donations and support for Ice Rink Sendai, and the dichotomy in his personality is more than we usually get from English articles about Yuzu so I'll consider it minute progress. Of course I still want a print copy of this.

16 minutes ago, Yoa said:

I am wondering about a few things. Did they include his name in kanji for google search score? If not, they basically excluded searches made by Japanese people. Also the most popular search engine in Japan is Yahoo. And I am sure he has a lot of searches in China too but they used Baidu score only for Chinese athletes. 

Saw this on their FAQ now that I'm on my computer and not mobile:

How did Phil Mickelson and Yuzuru Hanyu make this list while doing nothing themselves on social media?

Let's take Mickelson first. He makes $50 million in endorsements per year, second only to LeBron James. That counts for a lot. Hanyu, meanwhile, was the 18th-most-Googled athlete last year, a score that spiked during the Winter Olympics when he successfully defended his gold medal in figure skating.

They also mention that for Chinese athletes, because Google and other Western SNS platforms aren't available in China that they referenced Weibo and Baidu. My guess is they likely took a mix google search (as mentioned in their FAQ) and the fact that he was basically the top 1-3 tweeted topics during the Olympics that pushed him over. I believe the tweet stats may have included Japanese tweets as well, but I'm not 100% sure.

I have pretty low expectation for ESPN article so at least I didn't turn out too bad. Of course this is just an attached article to the ranking so it has to focus on fame, but a few sentence about his record and legacy in his sport would been better. 

As a former journalist,  I will never send someone to Japan, attend to his ice show and parade to get back an article like this. Its such a waste of time and money when  you can get 90% info with 5 mins of googling. I kinda hope there's another article with more insight info but considerring her editor want to know about Winnie the Pooh so I guess that's it. 

17 minutes ago, Katt said:

As a former journalist,  I will never send someone to Japan, attend to his ice show and parade to get back an article like this. Its such a waste of time and money when  you can get 90% info with 5 mins of googling. I kinda hope there's another article with more insight info but considerring her editor want to know about Winnie the Pooh so I guess that's it. 

He was also the only Japanese athlete on the list, correct me if I'm wrong.

So unless they stacked the workload on top of another, or someone's on vacation and took time to do it, it's surprising to travel halfway around the world to just get quotes from one athlete's fans. Wow. I want this job.

42 minutes ago, Katt said:

I have pretty low expectation for ESPN article so at least I didn't turn out too bad. Of course this is just an attached article to the ranking so it has to focus on fame, but a few sentence about his record and legacy in his sport would been better. 

I sat next to journalists in PC for the men's short who didn't even know who he was until he skated (or rather until they saw me with my pooh ears and banner and wanted an explanation), so I guess my expectations are pretty low too.  But hey, they certainly learned that day.  

For FOUR days Hanyu and his family stayed in an impromptu evacuation center.

The reporter of NYTimes wrote three days by mistake (lack of research) and OlympicChannel and ESPN quoted it.
I wonder when this chain will stop...
It might not be a big deal, but I feel bad about misinformation...

25 minutes ago, org said:

For FOUR days Hanyu and his family stayed in an impromptu evacuation center.

The reporter of NYTimes wrote three days by mistake (lack of research) and OlympicChannel and ESPN quoted it.
I wonder when this chain will stop...
It might not be a big deal, but I feel bad about misinformation...

Also, I'm pretty sure he did not consider quitting just because the rink was damaged. He was the 2010 World Jr Champion at the time, it was far from a hobby to drop due to lack of access. Can a more long term fan correct me? I want to say he considered quitting because of all the devastation/feeling it wasn't as important when people lost everything. And then when he was invited to the ice show a few months later and saw how people responded to his skating he decided to continue. Again, please do not take this as official, I just wanted to check.