General Yuzuru Chat

28 minutes ago, Cerunias said:

Interesting how his search score is about double of the average, and about 2/3 of the Ronaldo "baseline" of 100. By search score, he ranks 19th.

I'm surprised they couldn't estimate his endorsements, given that after Sochi, Forbes was able to come up with a "worth" of $2m, which undoubtedly would be in part influenced by the value of endorsements.

What's "search score"? He ranks higher than rafael nadal/sharapova/serena williams on that??

The article was basic, with an added touch of what his fans at the parade said to the writer. But, I am kinda wondering what sort of questions she asked them? Cz I bet some fans will know one or two things about his skating and will answer questions about it if asked. It doesn't even have to be much, just about how he brings programs balanced in superior athleticism and distinguished artistry, and how that sets him apart and why he wins, would be enough for me. But, nope, not even that. And the writer's admission of what her editor wants kinda explains it all.

Which brings me to "what is up with NA media obsession of Yuzu's Pooh?":P

Anyway, someone once said they would like to rewrite such articles so that it could be up to our standard. Are you still doing it?:snonegai:

I would guess the reason why the author didn't go into the skating aspect might be because she doesn't know much about skating. With him being the only skater in the list, it's quite possible it's not their domain and it's a lot easier to learn about those kinds of things in a short time than it is to learn about the skating aspect.

That said, I've mentioned liking his skating and his flow on the ice and such even to Japanese media and as far as I know, they never showed/published that.  So meh.

As for Pooh... I agree it's a bit annoying, but I think fans have themselves to blame, as well. You can't cover the ice in Winnie the Poohs and expect the casual viewer not to go WTF? about it. (I also personally think it's gone a bit too far and I think Yuzu probably cares a lot less about Pooh now than some of his fans do... as in, it's nice to continue with a good pattern, but I doubt he has that much emotional attachment to it by now. Though that's just what I think and I have no proof to back it up.) It's obviously a cute laitmotif and it's fun to play up to it, but I doubt he'd be heartbroken if fans started throwing other stuff on the ice. (Though Poohs are nice for donating to sick and/or poor children, so...)

For the article, I actually hate the ending. I get what she meant - fans waited for hours, but seeing him, that was just a moment - but it sounds wrong to me, worded like that.

2 hours ago, cirelle said:

Kinda basic tho.

This article did not have real substance. If she came all the way to attend the parade then she could have gotten more personal or at least shown more enthusiasm to get the readers into what she has to say. We're ready to listen but did she manage to find why Yuzu inspire so many people? I am not so sure if she's tried to find out that in the first place. No you do not stop at Pooh mountain if you want to get to the heart of Hanyu pond. Only way to find is dig deep into it... :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

A quick google search could have given me a better reading material than this. And Jack, not negative doesn't mean very positive...or does it? 

1 hour ago, MrPudding said:

These stats shows Yuzu's true uniqueness. Zero followers is like he's too great that the scale could not measure that greatness.

Yuzu is one and only so very unique and rare being. It's almost like a mythical being...

Spoiler

YN2gvXk.jpg

And one day this little one will introduce a big one to the world :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

30 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

That said, I've mentioned liking his skating and his flow on the ice and such even to Japanese media and as far as I know, they never showed/published that.  So meh.

@kiches  and I were asked about his looks from the Japanese media when we were specifically trying to talk about the skating, so yeah, they don't care much either.  

I've shared this article with some of my friends who don't know a lot about skating or him and they said they enjoyed reading it, finding it insightful and finding him a bit more interesting.  The guy is a champion, so maybe it's already established that he's pretty darn good and they don't think it needs much elaborating.  

18 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

I've shared this article with some of my friends who don't know a lot about skating or him and they said they enjoyed reading it, finding it insightful and finding him a bit more interesting.  The guy is a champion, so maybe it's already established that he's pretty darn good and they don't think it needs much elaborating. 

I have a different experience. Some of my friends who follow other sports pretty religiously (international football, baskeball, tennis) are aware of the list and so they contacted me about it since they know I like Yuzu and he is on the list. I directed them to the article, and their follow up questions were "so, he is kinda an idol because he is beautiful?" "apart from winning while injured, how good is he actually?" "Pooh?"

I mean, it's still good, cz I then can "educate" them about Yuzu, but well. That said quite a lot about how (not) informative that article is.

Kinda related, but all of us also follow Badminton, and we shared a good laugh at the inclusion of the only shuttler on the list. Nothing against her personally, but when talking badminton, she is nowhere near the level of the legends of the other sports included in the list. Which goes to say, the list is not self-explanatory for sports US is largely rather ignorant about.

Haven't read it yet but at least based on the title and the writer's admission I don't think the article was aiming for more than what it was, so meh. I'm just glad they covered him without any inaccuracies or mentioning Nathan?

Another thing, Adam Rippon is a good skater, but he's not currently plastered over the media and for the casuals because of his skating. Outside FS he's more well-known than Nathan - my point is, I guess to NA the Pooh Bears is what makes Yuzu interesting/an anomaly especially since we already have our share of intelligent, straight-laced Asian-Americans or the legendary Kwan.