General Yuzuru Chat

10 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

that height :surprised:

Newton developed the Law of Gravity. Hanyu sets out to disprove it, saying "screw that Law, what's gravity?"...

Props to yuzutao for this one. I know "repetition is the mother of perfection", but this is like deja vu...

4 hours ago, Cerunias said:

They did make an interesting observation - that Hanyu reordered some of his elements in his PC Seimei (they said a jump and the choregraphic sequence were swapped around, they also said that a triple axel was changed to a triple loop) - although given the number of inaccuracies in other parts of the analysis, I'm not sure if anyone can confirm if this observation was true? I couldn't find any other YT clips of Hanyu's 2017/2018 Seimei to compare to his PC program.

Erm, the bolded part is an inaccuracy - the jumps were always before the ChSq. They were probably thinking of H&L. Triple axel was technically changed into a 4T but maybe the ordering isn't exactly the same. anyway, the triple loop was there in the 2016 version but he did change the layout around to make 3 quads / 2 3A's into 4 quads /1 3A.

3 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

I think Yuzuru also stands against bullying and always sends messages to be yourself. He only does it in different style than Adam. I'd say, in a more subtle, less flashy way :sipping:

Lol, agreed. Don't really get the "be yourself" message from Adam, but maybe I'm not his target demographic :)

4 hours ago, Cerunias said:

They did make an interesting observation - that Hanyu reordered some of his elements in his PC Seimei (they said a jump and the choregraphic sequence were swapped around, they also said that a triple axel was changed to a triple loop) - although given the number of inaccuracies in other parts of the analysis, I'm not sure if anyone can confirm if this observation was true? I couldn't find any other YT clips of Hanyu's 2017/2018 Seimei to compare to his PC program.T

as @yuzuangel said, nope to choreo sequence being swapped around. That part made me go :disdain: and it's a pity, because there were some very good bits in those commetaries (but let's not forget Scott Hamilton also called the back counter entry into SP 3A as a three turn:facepalm: tho nothing will beat BEsp expecting 4F3T as first jumping pass in Yuzu's SP :smiley-laughing021: like, HOW? Don't you realize you're looking at the wrong layout? It's not like there are tons of people doing 4F, even less doing 4F combo LOL)

The SEIMEI choreo seq has always been there, braketed between 2nd and 3rd spin, and with how the music was cut, it would have been extremely hard to change something like that, because choreo is exactly placed when the music explodes, so...:shrug:

I agree they probably got things mixed up with H&L, where 3Lz was placed after chsq... but, you know, different program :headdesk2:

As for the jumps, in his PC FS after 4T(non)combo Yuzu basically had the same layout of 2015-2016, with 3Lo and 3lz as the last jumps one after the other, and btw they were in his planned layout for the day.

In COR, with planned 4Lz and 4Lo, Yuzuru had 3A2T and 3A as last jumps, so in a sense you could say he did replace a 3A with a 3Lo, but then he also replaced another 3A with a 3Lz...tho in my mind 3Lo and 3Lz felt "normal" because I have his old layout burned in my brain :laughing: (3A1Lo3S/3Lo/3Lz were the last jumps in 2015-2016, maybe that's why in PC Yuzuru was able to YOLO that 3A combo so well)

Again, maybe they were thinking about the H&L layout, where the two last jumping passes were 3Acombo and 3Lz...

Btw if you have doubts about executed layouts in a competition, you can search for the ISU scoresheets by googling "ISU name of the competition year of the competition" and go to the ISUresults page, with all the links you need (I used this and this to back up my memory) and here's a fancam of COR FS as a bonus :biggrin::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: I prefer this to official footage, but you can also find CBC and other sources compliled by our always wonderful @kaeryth under 2017-2018 competitions (I prefer not to watch COR FS BEsp for...reasons:P)

On 26/6/2017 at 1:00 PM, kaeryth said:
2017 - 2018 SEASON
Club: Toronto Cricket Skating & Curling Club, ANA Coach: Brian Orser, Tracy Wilson

Short Program:
Chopin Ballade No. 1 by Frederic Chopin
Choreographed by Jeffrey Buttle
Planned Program: 4Lo // 3A 4T-3T

Alternate: [ACI'17 & OWG'18] 4S // 3A 4T-3T

Free Skating:
Seimei from Omnyoji OST by Shigeru Umebayashi
Choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne
Planned Program: 4Lz 4Lo 3F // 4S-3T 4T-
1/2Lo-3S 4T 3A-2T 3A

Alternate: [OWG'18] 4S 4T 3F // 4S-3T 4T-1/2Lo-3S 3A-2T 3Lz

Exhibition Program:

1. Notte Stellata (The Swan)

by Tony Renis, Camille Saint-Saëns

Performed by: Il Volo

Choreographed by: David Wilson

DATE/EVENT SP RESULT FS RESULT TOTAL MISC
2017 Autumn Classic
International

(September 20–23, 2017)
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
SCACI Stream (1) 112.72 SCACI Stream (5) 155.52 (2) 268.24 Victory Ceremony

2017 Rostelecom Cup

(October 20 – 22, 2017)

Moscow, Russia

B.ESP

(2) 94.85

B.ESP

CBC

Match!

NBC

(1) 195.92 (2) 290.77

Behind the Scenes: SP

Behind the Scenes: FS

Behind the Scenes: Ex

--

Victory Ceremony

Ex: Notte Stellata (NC)

Ex: Notte Stellata (Asahi)

Gala Finale (Match!)

Gala Finale (Fancam)

2018 WINTER OLYMPICS
(February 09 - 25, 2018)

Pyeongchang County, South Korea

1TV

BBC (Official)

BBC (Nico)

B.ESP (GD)

B.ESP (Nico)

CBC

CBC (French)

CCTV

Česká (GD)

France 3

KBS

M4 Sport (GD)

Match!

NBC
NC

S. ESP

Telesport

*B.ESP broadcast

* Multiple

Broadcast

(Downloadable)

(1) 111.68

1TV

BBC

B.ESP

CBC

CBC (French)

CCTV

France 2

G.ESP

I.ESP

Match!

NBC

NBCSN

NHK

NC

RAI Sport

S. ESP

Telesport

*B.ESP broadcast

* Multiple

Broadcast

(Downloadable)

(2) 206.17 (1) 317.85

NBC Day2 Practice Part 1

NBC Day2 Practice Part 2

Multiple FLUFF piece

NHK BTS Gala Practice

CCTV BTS Gala Practice

--

BBC (after Javier's FS)

BBC (after Shoma's FS)

1TV (after end of FS)

--

Victory Ceremony (GD)

Victory Ceremony (Rutube)

Victory Ceremony (Telesport)

--

Medal Ceremony

--

Full Gala Part1 (CBC)

Full Gala Part2 (CBC)

Full Gala (NBC)

--

Ex: Notte Stellata (1TV)

Ex: Notte Stellata (CCTV)

Ex: Notte Stellata (NBC)

Ex: Notte Stellata (Telesport)

Ex: Notte Stellata (+Finale)

* Multiple Broadcast

47 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

as @yuzuangel said, nope to choreo sequence being swapped around. That part made me go :disdain: and it's a pity, because there were some very good bits in those commetaries (but let's not forget Scott Hamilton also called the back counter entry into SP 3A as a three turn:facepalm: tho nothing will beat BEsp expecting 4F3T as first jumping pass in Yuzu's SP :smiley-laughing021: like, HOW? Don't you realize you're looking at the wrong layout? It's not like there are tons of people doing 4F, even less doing 4F combo LOL)

The SEIMEI choreo seq has always been there, braketed between 2nd and 3rd spin, and with how the music was cut, it would have been extremely hard to change something like that, because choreo is exactly placed when the music explodes, so...:shrug:

I agree they probably got things mixed up with H&L, where 3Lz was placed after chsq... but, you know, different program :headdesk2:

As for the jumps, in his PC FS after 4T(non)combo Yuzu basically had the same layout of 2015-2016, with 3Lo and 3lz as the last jumps one after the other, and btw they were in his planned layout for the day.

In COR, with planned 4Lz and 4Lo, Yuzuru had 3A2T and 3A as last jumps, so in a sense you could say he did replace a 3A with a 3Lo, but then he also replaced another 3A with a 3Lz...tho in my mind 3Lo and 3Lz felt "normal" because I have his old layout burned in my brain :laughing: (3A1Lo3S/3Lo/3Lz were the last jumps in 2015-2016, maybe that's why in PC Yuzuru was able to YOLO that 3A combo so well)

Again, maybe they were thinking about the H&L layout, where the two last jumping passes were 3Acombo and 3Lz...

Btw if you have doubts about executed layouts in a competition, you can search for the ISU scoresheets by googling "ISU name of the competition year of the competition" and go to the ISUresults page, with all the links you need (I used this and this to back up my memory) and here's a fancam of COR FS as a bonus :biggrin::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: I prefer this to official footage, but you can also find CBC and other sources compliled by our always wonderful @kaeryth under 2017-2018 competitions (I prefer not to watch COR FS BEsp for...reasons:P)

I did think it was likely another inaccuracy - given I had watched the clip where Yuzuru was talking about how he cut the music for Seimei and timed everything down to the last second (if not half a second) which would make it hard to swap a jump element with a choreo sequence. I do know that Yuzuru, after almost falling on his 4T/sal combo (the first negative GoE he got in his PC program) that he changed his 3A/toe combo to a 3A/sal (which is also the 'presence of mind' that Orser previously has talked about with respect to Fernandez unfortunately not having during Sochi, leading to him repeating one of his LP jumps, dropping even more points, and missing out on a podium finish). Perhaps it is this reorganisation of his jumps that these analysts were referring to?

And I was just listening to the last two or three clips (ie the pre-FS commentary) and just noted the mixup between a back counter and 3-turn, but I've lost count of the inaccuracies now. It's a shame, because I don't know the actual technicalities well, and have been mostly picking it up from watching YT clips, as well as Wiki and other written resources (although it's always a bit different seeing it written to seeing it performed), so these inaccuracies do detract a bit, for the confusion they cause. I only recognised Yuzuru's "trademarked" back counter into 3A because of previous clips and CiONTU (aka 'torture Mura' sessions)! Further to the confusion was that I didn't even know that Yuzuru even had a triple loop jump in his PC Seimei (that was contrary to my understanding and what I had previously read). I get that commentators and analysts are human and make mistakes after all, but you would think that analysts, having a bit more time to 'digest' what they have seen and consider what they want to say, would be able to avoid making so many errors and confusing their audience? All the more surprising since these analysts are former skaters themselves, so you would think it'd be second nature to them to differentiate from eg a back counter from a 3-turn?

Please 'scuse the ignorance, but COR = ??

Thanks for pointing out @kaeryth's hard work! Makes it so much more easier than the hunting through YT I've been doing...

37 minutes ago, Cerunias said:

I did think it was likely another inaccuracy - given I had watched the clip where Yuzuru was talking about how he cut the music for Seimei and timed everything down to the last second (if not half a second) which would make it hard to swap a jump element with a choreo sequence. And I was just listening to the last two or three clips (ie the pre-FS commentary) and just noted the mixup between a back counter and 3-turn, but I've lost count of the inaccuracies now. It's a shame, because I don't know the actual technicalities well, and have been mostly picking it up from watching YT clips, as well as Wiki and other written resources (although it's always a bit different seeing it written to seeing it performed), so these inaccuracies do detract a bit, for the confusion they cause. I only recognised Yuzuru's "trademarked" back counter into 3A because of previous clips and CiONTU (aka 'torture Mura' sessions)!

I do know that Yuzuru, after almost falling on his 4T/sal combo (the first negative GoE he got in his PC program) that he changed his 3A/toe combo to a 3A/sal (which is also the 'presence of mind' that Orser previously has talked about with respect to Fernandez unfortunately not having during Sochi, leading to him repeating one of his LP jumps, dropping even more points, and missing out on a podium finish). Perhaps it is this reorganisation of his jumps that these commentators were referring to?

Please 'scuse the ignorance, but COR = ??

Thanks for pointing out @kaeryth's hard work! Makes it so much more easy than the hunting through YT I've been doing...

I think many of the things they said actually make sense when related to H&L (like the different placement of choreo seq), so I don't really know... the only thing Yuzuru changed from his planned layout in PC was the 3A combo (and the missed 4t combo, of course), so 3Lo had nothing to do with that:shrug:

COR= Cup of Russia, it was the old name of Rostelecom Cup, the GP held in Russia every year :biggrin:

I usually use COR because it's way faster (and because I often end botching the name...I guess I could use RC as acronym but somehow COR stuck with me:laughing:)

This makes me think, admins of the Planet, maybe we need some kind of glossary? (or do we already have it somewhere?) With acronyms like FaoI and COR/RC, and maybe a few words commonly used in the figure skating fandom like pop, PR, and in Yuzu fandom, like PW, LGC, first pancake, boobskirt, trashbag pants, strawberry costume and so on? So newbies don't get lost?

(I went through obscure figure skating terms myself in my newbie days and now I often use them without thinking whops :81:)

also, LOL, so many terms related to Yuzu's costumes...sparkle salad and seaweed also come to mind...and the potato sack pants too:smiley-laughing021:

ETA: and UA (because one can't be a true fanyu without knowing what UA means):hachimaki:

ETA 2: as in Xeyra's post below, maybe even carrot would need a bit of an explanation:P

17 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

ETA 2: as in Xeyra's post below, maybe even carrot would need a bit of an explanation:P

No one needs an explanation for carrot cake. It's just delicious, especially if you're Shin Amano. :sipping:

:biggrin:

I'm just sort of wondering - With what we know of Yuzu's musicality and also how he partially choreographs his programs these days, adding to that his ability to get into so many types of music, if Yuzu might put that to use upon retirement and start doing choreography for others.  It would give him the opportunity to put his stamp on the sport in the way he's been wanting, that is, to increase the artistic level, particularly to bring into better balance the PCS and TES aspects.  He's never mentioned that possibility, as far as I know, but it would certainly be a possibility.  That highlights what I think is really mind-boggling when we see how many valid choices Yuzu would have post-retirement - producing ice shows, coaching, commentating (for Japanese media), choreographing, even becoming part of the hierarchy that governs figure-skating.  He has the intelligence, the personality, and the talent to be successful in any of those choices.

20 minutes ago, xeyra said:

No one needs an explanation for carrot cake. It's just delicious, especially if you're Shin Amano. :sipping:

:biggrin:

Despite everything I've picked up going through the 3500+ pages in this thread, I've not come across "double carrot cake". And here I was so pleased that I was getting the hang of the lingo...(or so I mistakenly thought)!!!

UA I knew - yay! After all, U is for Under Armor :biggrin:

https://sportymags.wordpress.com/2015/05/16/yuzuru-hanyu-my-yuzu-a-to-z/

Sparkle salad, Seaweed and Potato sack pants, Trashbag pants took a bit more thinking. Still not 100% sure... But I'm sure I've got Strawberry and Boobskirt down pat! CiONTU helped there...

6 minutes ago, Cerunias said:

Despite everything I've picked up going through the 3500+ pages in this thread, I've not come across "double carrot cake". And here I was so pleased that I was getting the hang of the lingo...(or so I mistakenly thought)!!!

UA I knew - yay! After all, U is for Under Armor :biggrin:

https://sportymags.wordpress.com/2015/05/16/yuzuru-hanyu-my-yuzu-a-to-z/

Carrot is the colloquial term we FS fans use for underrotations. A carrot is an underrotation (<) and a double carrot is a downgrade (<<). A carrot cake is, well, when there's a lot of < and << symbols in a protocol. :laughing:

Edit: So in the specific gif of Yuzu's 4A attempt, the jump would have been called downgraded (double carrot) because he missed about half of a rotation on it (he basically landed forward, hence why he ended up falling and sliding into the audience).