General Yuzuru Chat

1 時間前, SparkleSaladさんが言いました:

OT His family won a greencard lottery when he was 8(?), iirc, they moved to the USA and only then did he start skating. He also switched between representing the USA and Japan. He did a "Draw My Life" but I can't seem to find it.

He was in Team USA when he was junior.  I heard Mao Asada's mother recommended him to join Japan Team.  

I assume his mother tongue is English.  His Japanese still has English accent.

Mirai Nagasu was in the same situation, but she chose USA Team.  Now, Tomoki Hiwatashi (junior skater) is the case.

Dice still lives in the US and probably is training under Carol. He was in Japan for an ice show. The photos he shared in the video were taken at a party held after Dreams on Ice 2015 where a limited number of people who won a lottery could attend. They look so good in Yukata. Nice to take a glimpse of it :)

Re: MSG

do you know which food is rich in MSG? Tomatoes :9: (btw I love tomatoes too...I'm currently obsessed with a variety of small oval tomatoes that are crunchy and sweet, tbh if you ask me to choose between those and some fries I'd probably choose tomatoes rn:LOL:)

5 hours ago, Erin said:

Can someone please add this to the translations spreadsheet? I'm kinda iffy doing it myself, I feel like I'd mess it up or something. 

And also this one, though it isn't subbed yet. Please do share if you have a translation. Thank you! 

I think these are from @ElenaC? Thank you as always!

Thank you for posting this!

Not a proper translation of the EX commentary, just a (long) summary where I take some freedom with the wording, sorrynotsorry:peekapooh:

also, gosh, they talk A LOT in the beginning….Max&Angelo I love you and your commentaries but please do shut up:P

They start saying that Yuzuru wrote history in Olympics, not only in FS but in general (later they say he and Shaun White were the most followed male athletes). He won 2nd OGM after a long time off- ice (they don’t mention Yuzuru was still injured. Maybe they weren’t following all his interviews, they were busy covering tons of events in those days, after all. In Milan they mentioned he was still injured)

Max adds that if we talk about number one of all times (Max has no qualms about using those words!:biggrin:), without considering his achievements, which are still remarkable, there is only one man at the top, Yuzuru Hanyu

(a bit of context: they have sometimes said Yuzuru has not won as much as one would expect based on his talent, and I do agree: the list of medals and the records don’t tell the whole story, HOW he got them is maybe even more remarkable)

Aaand...when you think they shut up, Angelo goes on gushing some more:laughing:

He also says that, if we think about the hardships Yuzuru went through, it’s even more amazing :10742289:

(then they stay in silence till the end, yay! LOL)

The part from 4.28 made me cackle because oh the shade towards NA media!

We’ve already talked about pre-Olympic NA media in this thread, and some of us rightfully pointed out the many instances when NA commentators expressed their admiration for Yuzuru’s qualities, but I think it can’t be argued that before PC most outlets (those that had not idea what FS is more than others, maybe) were seriously underestimating Yuzuru (LOL the guy WILLED himself to the gold on a busted ankle and almost set a WR, it’s CRAZY:bow:)

Max: “Many people didn’t believe in Hanyu, in his chances to win the gold. For NA press he was doomed. Well, he proved he has something more compared to others

Angelo: “Well, we’ve read a lot of questionable analyses on NA press [...] Reality is this is the most complete athlete, the most competitive, the strongest we have ever seen on an skating rink (Angelo has no qualms about using those words either:biggrin:) and he proved it once more”.

That’s it :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

To me their praises are all the more valuable because they are people who know really a lot of the history of the sport, they have seen many many skaters, from different eras, they know a lot about tech and for them to state this clearly that Yuzuru’s talent is something special, so special they are willing to utter that “of all times” proves that objectively Yuzuru is different. Tbh, I don’t need other people to say Yuzu is the GOAT to appreciate him and melt every time he skates, but it’s still nice that knowledgeable people value Yuzuru so much too.

Don’t mind my rambling, I’m just really happy today:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

(I was waiting to listen to the ItaESP EX commentary and I'm so happy I could do that on my bday of all days and also LOL in China today is some kind of love day? LOL the knowledge you get from being in this fandom:laughing::tumblr_inline_mfy936EPNF1qid2nw:)

This may be way OT, but I was reading the article about Mr Yuzurus first coach and how he could see potential in the youngster and that some people are just born with musicality-it's not like they come to appreciate music as they grow older, but they just "know " and respond to  music. I thinks it's different from just enjoying listening to, playing, or dancing to music. I sorta imagine it's like some people see colors when they hear music or likewise. My OT point being, does anyone know anyone like that? It just with music but anything (I realize a lot of people think their kids are geniuses and are really good musicians etc. but I mean truly, truly  exceptional. ) 

3 hours ago, LadyLou said:

We’ve already talked about pre-Olympic NA media in this thread, and some of us rightfully pointed out the many instances when NA commentators expressed their admiration for Yuzuru’s qualities, but I think it can’t be argued that before PC most outlets (those that had not idea what FS is more than others, maybe) were seriously underestimating Yuzuru (LOL the guy WILLED himself to the gold on a busted ankle and almost set a WR, it’s CRAZY:bow:)

Max: “Many people didn’t believe in Hanyu, in his chances to win the gold. For NA press he was doomed. Well, he proved he has something more compared to others

Angelo: “Well, we’ve read a lot of questionable analyses on NA press [...] Reality is this is the most complete athlete, the most competitive, the strongest we have ever seen on an skating rink (Angelo has no qualms about using those words either:biggrin:) and he proved it once more”

Does the heart good to read this.  Just watched the British Eurosport broadcast of 2018 worlds on Youtube and was rather appalled by some of the comments.  They couldn't figure out why Aliev didn't get points for his 3T in the short and lady commentator said that Nathan will be the greatest skater ever.  It's fine to have a differing opinion but it's rather disheartening to hear anyone in the skating community to praise someone so highly based on jumps.  Male commentator also called a quad flip as a triple loop and predicted a new world record based on Nathan's free skate 

2 hours ago, Gaby said:

And the say  Yuzu  is  a small eater? It's a  lot of  food  for  one  meal! The  first  one is  just  for  breakfast? But  it  looks   so  good  though!!

I have a friend who does crossfit training every day. She (and yes it's a she) eats a LOT more than that, and she is half my size(in terms of thickness and wideness - I'm measured 165cm, 60-65kg depending on the situation:laughing:).

I don't know whether you are active or not, but for active people, those portions are really small. Especially for a man who does competitive sport, as is the case for Yuzu.

2 hours ago, Gaby said:

And the say  Yuzu  is  a small eater? It's a  lot of  food  for  one  meal! The  first  one is  just  for  breakfast? But  it  looks   so  good  though!!

I read that his dietitians make him eat hot soup first to stimulate his appetite, and since he not only needs more calories while he's competing (this is his competition diet) but he is actively trying to increase his muscle mass, this isn't really very much food at all.

2 hours ago, Whee1000 said:

This may be way OT, but I was reading the article about Mr Yuzurus first coach and how he could see potential in the youngster and that some people are just born with musicality-it's not like they come to appreciate music as they grow older, but they just "know " and respond to  music. I thinks it's different from just enjoying listening to, playing, or dancing to music. I sorta imagine it's like some people see colors when they hear music or likewise. My OT point being, does anyone know anyone like that? It just with music but anything (I realize a lot of people think their kids are geniuses and are really good musicians etc. but I mean truly, truly  exceptional. ) 

I feel really close to Yuzuru's musicality. 

Of course, you can't remember your first years of childhood, no kid remembers them and you don't really know when 'musicality' begins. In my opinion, no one is born with something like that - you are born with  your own identity, your personal energy, and then your environment and the conditions of your life push you into a certain direction. Mozart didn't decide to become a composer by himself - he grew up listening to his genius sister and violinist father playing and studying every day, his father put him in front of an instrument as soon as he could - couple that with an incredible sensitivity developed for some reason within Mozart's heart, and you have the recipe for genius. But for me, genius comes from sensitivity, and it is logical that it's the brightest in children: children don't limit their feelings, their imagination, their creativity, so they can appreciate music  as pure as it comes. Most great musicians were all child prodigies, not because they were born with a different gene or anything, but because you only need that sensitivity to feel the music as it comes. And the more you develop that sensitivity and hang on to it as an adult, well... you can become a great artist. 

I'm gonna talk about myself under spoiler because.

Spoiler

This is my opinion because when I was little (since I was 5 years old I think) I was often been told I was gifted, talented, incredible, when I went to musical schools I had the top grades for everything and so on, I sang anything, I played anything, self-taught piano at 7 and won singing contests without having taken a single singing lesson - these are the objective things that I can say, but I truly don't believe I have anything more than any other person who is sensitive enough to appreciate art, music and poetry. I encouraged my own sensitivity, and maybe that is the reason why I developed certain skills and other children my age did not. (I also should add that it's been more and more difficult to keep up with all these things I wanted to do and study, and I ended up getting lost in it after all - parents, tell your children to choose one thing they love and stick to that, for the love of God, it gets confusing otherwise) Sometimes I feel like I wasn't the only one who could sing/play that good - but I was the only one brave enough to prove it and show it.

If I had to explain my history with music, it's this: I have music in my head at all times, there is never silence. Sometimes, I hear a random note in the street, and in my mind a song that starts with that exact note is evoked - this is related to perfect pitch. When I have music in my head, I need to move in time with music. Not only walk, but also 'reach certain points on the street' during a certain point in the music, hit things in time with the music (like the elevator button, or opening a door, or whatever). Also, when I was a little younger than now, I often had entire Symphonies in my head - I had no idea where they came from, when they started and when they finished, but they kept me company. I did similarily with singing - I'd sing songs made up on the spot, and do so for hours on end (I was a pretty lonely child lol). 

I don't see colors when I hear music because for me, music is already clear enough. I think everyone's relationship with music is private and different - I do believe my relationship with music is similar to Yuzuru's, though. Meaning, I believe he feels it in a different way than most skaters. When he skates, every movement is one with the music, and watching him skate with that sensitivity, for me, is just special and no other skater can reach that.

I hope this wasn't too self-complimentary and I actually said something interesting for you :english2:

7 minutes ago, Toni said:

I read that his dietitians make him eat hot soup first to stimulate his appetite, and since he not only needs more calories while he's competing (this is his competition diet) but he is actively trying to increase his muscle mass, this isn't really very much food at all.

I remember seeing him talk about that at one of the Sochi press conferences.  I find that very strange because I find that soup actually suppresses hunger.  Whenever I'm trying to drop a few pounds I go on a soup, fruit, vegetable and tea/coffee diet.  

You would think the easiest way to put on weight would be to chug protein shakes or something.  Even when I'm not at all hungry it's easy to spend a minute drinking a shake.

5 hours ago, LadyLou said:

Re: MSG

do you know which food is rich in MSG? Tomatoes :9: (btw I love tomatoes too...I'm currently obsessed with a variety of small oval tomatoes that are crunchy and sweet, tbh if you ask me to choose between those and some fries I'd probably choose tomatoes rn:LOL:)

Thank you for posting this!

Not a proper translation of the EX commentary, just a (long) summary where I take some freedom with the wording, sorrynotsorry:peekapooh:

also, gosh, they talk A LOT in the beginning….Max&Angelo I love you and your commentaries but please do shut up:P

They start saying that Yuzuru wrote history in Olympics, not only in FS but in general (later they say he and Shaun White were the most followed male athletes). He won 2nd OGM after a long time off- ice (they don’t mention Yuzuru was still injured. Maybe they weren’t following all his interviews, they were busy covering tons of events in those days, after all. In Milan they mentioned he was still injured)

Max adds that if we talk about number one of all times (Max has no qualms about using those words!:biggrin:), without considering his achievements, which are still remarkable, there is only one man at the top, Yuzuru Hanyu

(a bit of context: they have sometimes said Yuzuru has not won as much as one would expect based on his talent, and I do agree: the list of medals and the records don’t tell the whole story, HOW he got them is maybe even more remarkable)

Aaand...when you think they shut up, Angelo goes on gushing some more:laughing:

He also says that, if we think about the hardships Yuzuru went through, it’s even more amazing :10742289:

(then they stay in silence till the end, yay! LOL)

Angelo: “Well, we’ve read a lot of questionable analyses on NA press [...] Reality is this is the most complete athlete, the most competitive, the strongest we have ever seen on an skating rink (Angelo has no qualms about using those words either:biggrin:) and he proved it once more”.

That’s it :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

To me their praises are all the more valuable because they are people who know really a lot of the history of the sport, they have seen many many skaters, from different eras, they know a lot about tech and for them to state this clearly that Yuzuru’s talent is something special, so special they are willing to utter that “of all times” proves that objectively Yuzuru is different. Tbh, I don’t need other people to say Yuzu is the GOAT to appreciate him and melt every time he skates, but it’s still nice that knowledgeable people value Yuzuru so much too.

Don’t mind my rambling, I’m just really happy today:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

(I was waiting to listen to the ItaESP EX commentary and I'm so happy I could do that on my bday of all days and also LOL in China today is some kind of love day? LOL the knowledge you get from being in this fandom:laughing::tumblr_inline_mfy936EPNF1qid2nw:)

Oh wow, it's your bday? Happy bday!!!! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: :10815002: :balloons-smiley:  :party0037: :10742288: :tomato: 

And thanks so much for the summary! I just knew they were gushing about Yuzu. :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

15 hours ago, Whee1000 said:

I hate to put myself forward like this but in answer to the question of knowing somebody who has a particular sensibility I can point to myself.  When I first became involved with classical music right when I was entering my teens it did not take long for me to begin perceiving certain patterns in music that led me to identify a piece as being by a particular composer as opposed to another one.  But in my case it was not just music, but pretty much across the board where I could recognize art works as being by one painter over another and literary works also.  Those abilities were not instantaneous but were what evolved as I became more immersed over the years in the fine arts.  My ability to identify the style of painters was inestimable in my A'cing every art history course I took in my undergraduate years.  It also helped me in developing my writing style as a result of something I developed on my own, rather than in a class, as on my own I would read closely the works of a particular writer and then endeavor to write in his or her style.

The point I want to make here is this - I did not learn this in any class nor did I (except in those writing exercises) even develop it deliberately.  It just came to me as I listened to more or looked at more or read more and even now if you asked me to describe why a Beethoven piece sounds like his rather than Schubert's I couldn't put it into words.  I just sense the things that make Beethoven sound like Beethoven and not like somebody else.  It's an inborn talent and if what I read today about him is accurate, Yuzu appears to have the same talent, a talent which allows him to get into a piece of music much more deeply than most other skaters.  I think Shoma has the talent but not in a major way.  He seems to be sensitive only to classical music (the same for me but partly that's because I've never gotten into non-classical music).  Boyang is showing the same sensitivity although it's still in early days for him.  Nathan strikes me as almost tone deaf. 

I think that as Yuzu seems to be the one now who chooses his music and even edits it for his programs that Yuzu's musicality is probably exponentially greater than most other skaters.  In his early years, while I think Nanami was probably the guiding hand as far as his musical choices are concerned, she probably might have sensed that musicality he had and allowed him to have a freer hand in choosing his music, an approach more liberal than most coaches do for skaters early in their careers.  That, though, is purely speculative, but Yuzu's early years have a breadth of musical styles that show either he demanded or she allowed or even encouraged Yuzu to explore the various styles of music out there.  In any case Yuzu has shown over the years an ability to skate to styles of music that are extremely different from each other, even in the context of a single season.  Witness the two very different styles, LGC and HL in 2016-17.

The breadth of Yuzu's music sensitivity is one that we all should recognize as we speculate on what music he might pick for the upcoming season.  I've stated earlier that I really don't think he's going to recycle an older program.  His ice show seems to me to have been his way of ending a chapter in his life as a skater and now he's moving forward.  I wouldn't be surprised if during those many weeks when he was forbidden to even set foot on the ice he might already have been searching for new music for his future programs. Yuzu has shown an immense talent over the years to move forward on his own, unprompted by others.  I await the coming season with bated breath, knowing only that Yuzu will probably not conform to the common wisdom in his choices.  He's anything but common.  You have his word on that.