General Yuzuru Chat

15 minutes ago, Toni said:

This isn't "a matter of opinion;" he said what he said. Nothing more. There is nothing to "interpret." It isn't me who's reading into this, and having "likes" doesn't change facts. I haven't tried to interpret his words in any way, yet you continue to claim I have. Listen to his words; they mean exactly what they mean.

Yuzu said he'd been bullied by media and his fans were bullied on-line. He said it hurt so much he wanted to die at first, but he came through it with our help, and he's fine now. He didn't want to share the details, so he obviously doesn't want anyone to speculate or dig up the past. He only wanted to be heard as he thanked us for being there for him; and he hoped we would essentially be kind and continue to defend each-other. It was a simple message. How is it up for "interpretation?" 

Is this how "alternative facts" get started? Sometimes a banana is just a banana, no matter how many people "like" the idea that represents something else. 

@KatjaThera @Toni  ?? play nice peeps! ?? Let's keep it constructive. There are a range of interpretations and emotions, as demonstrated by the range of expressed feelings by members of this forum. It does raise some important topics of discussion of the impact of media and the impact of speculative news. Clearly Yuzuru felt it was important enough to raise it in a monologue (and seemingly link his Plushenko interview obliquely with this monologue's subject matter). As to whether there were any underlying objectives/motives for him doing so, other than what he stated, remains pure speculation to all but those who know him personally or whom he has shared his personal thoughts. What we decide to do with this is up to us. And I would hope we use it constructively and learn from it.

1 minute ago, SparkleSalad said:

Please let's drop it and have fun instead?

I agree; but I think it's important for people not to read into what Yuzu said or speculate on the details -- and it's so weird that anyone thinks I want speculation when I repeatedly said we should only listen to what he actually said. It's a disconnect - like reality doesn't matter anymore. But I agree; I'm tired of this weirdness and I refuse to respond if anyone again tries to accuse me of saying what I plainly am not saying.

11 minutes ago, Toni said:

This isn't "a matter of opinion;" he said what he said. Nothing more. There is nothing to "interpret." It isn't me who's reading into this, and having "likes" doesn't change facts. I haven't tried to interpret his words in any way, yet you continue to claim I have. Listen to his words; they mean exactly what they mean.

Yuzu said he'd been bullied by media and his fans were bullied on-line. He said it hurt so much he wanted to die at first, but he came through it with our help, and he's fine now. He didn't want to share the details, so he obviously doesn't want anyone to speculate or dig up the past. He only wanted to be heard as he thanked us for being there for him; and he hoped we would essentially be kind and continue to defend each-other. It was a simple message. How is it up for "interpretation?" 

Is this how "alternative facts" get started? Sometimes a banana is just a banana, no matter how many people "like" the idea that represents something else. 

Leaving aside that he didn't say he wanted to die and the Japanese terms he used are both more vague and more 'shocking', because that's a discussion about Japanese language nuances and does require interpretation that is best avoided, that was never the argument. The argument was you insisting on why he said that when he did - and I'm quite sure he never said "And I'm saying this now because it's live and no one can shut me up." - and how he did it to escape censorship and the evil censors still censored him as soon as they could. That was the argument. But this has gone on long enough and it's obvious we won't get anywhere with it, so I'm done.

2 minutes ago, Cerunias said:

@KatjaThera @Toni  ?? play nice peeps! ?? Let's keep it constructive. There are a lot of different interpretations, as demonstrated by the range of expressed feelings by members of this forum. It does raise some important topics of discussion of the impact of media and the impact of speculative news.

I think I've played really nice until now? I've tried to be understanding and sympathetic towards other points of view, while arguing my own, but I'm done wasting energy on it.

Now, for fun, I'm not sure this has been shared here?

Y2MgxXW.jpg

My picture of a page in Number Pyeongchang special magazine. I honestly bought the magazine just for this lol. Sorry about the quality, my phone would only cooperate this much.

23 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I think I've played really nice until now? I've tried to be understanding and sympathetic towards other points of view, while arguing my own, but I'm done wasting energy on it.

24 minutes ago, Toni said:

But I agree; I'm tired of this weirdness and I refuse to respond if anyone again tries to accuse me of saying what I plainly am not saying.

Safe to say that there are those here who agree to disagree with each other's respective view. Sorry, but I didn't mean to offend: my point was more "let's not argue", and "let's not accuse". Let's be happy!! I'm just waiting for the barrage of news and pics when FaOI starts!

2 hours ago, yuzuonice said:

Hmm, do you happen to have a source of that? I'm curious what was Brian's wording.

"When we are done with this skating stuff, are they keeping in touch? Probably not," he added. "They're friendly, they respect each other. Javi is (four years) older. He lives on his own, does his own cooking and cleaning, he has a cat. Yuzu lives with his mom and lives and breathes skating, and that's fine, too."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/09/26/256166594

16 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

"When we are done with this skating stuff, are they keeping in touch? Probably not," he added. "They're friendly, they respect each other. Javi is (four years) older. He lives on his own, does his own cooking and cleaning, he has a cat. Yuzu lives with his mom and lives and breathes skating, and that's fine, too."

This same article states (regarding Yuzuru and Javier) "The training partners are perfectly cordial"...given the infamous clip of Yuzuru's reactions during each of Javier's jumps in one particular long program, the interaction between Yuzuru and Javier as they were moving into position during the PC gala (as caught on fancam), and other numerous clips of their interactions, I would have thought that "cordial" is a slight understatement?! I had a slight chuckle reading that comment; it seems to me that people who are merely cordial would not have that kind of (repeated) interaction!

Whatever will be will be, of course, but in the Battle of the Brians documentary it showed that Orser and Boitano both sort of came together after a long while because they realised that no one else could understand what they'd been through.

In the end, if people want to stay in touch they will, if they don't they won't. :)

51 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

i don't really know what this is meant to illustrate, honestly. i'm friends with people in wildly different living situations from me and it's not an issue, lol. i wish he would bring up their differences in personality without falling back on the fact that yuzuru lives with his mother every time.

From my view, Yuzuru is very friendly and talkable even with people he meets the first time. He can make friends easily. But all his relationships ( which are shown in public) seem casual, aren't established in a deep way. Outside the rink, far from media spotlights, he is a very reserved person who doesn't want others to know too much about him and his private life. I won't be surprised if he rarely keeps in touch with skaters who are said to be close to him like Misha, Javier, Shoma,... 

19 minutes ago, valkyrie said:

i wish he would bring up their differences in personality without falling back on the fact that yuzuru lives with his mother every time.

I've noticed he likes mentioning that, although I'm not really sure why. 

5 minutes ago, wpisces said:

I won't be surprised if he rarely keeps in touch with skaters who are said to be close to him like Misha, Javier, Shoma,... 

I think both Yuzu and Misha mentioned talking to each other even when they're not in the same place, but I obviously don't know how regular or how casual their interactions are. 

8 minutes ago, wpisces said:

From my view, Yuzuru is very friendly and talkable even with people he meets the first time. He can make friends easily. But all his relationships ( which are shown in public) seem casual, aren't established in a deep way. Outside the rink, far from media spotlights, he is a very reserved person who doesn't want others to know too much about him and his private life. I won't be surprised if he rarely keeps in touch with skaters who are said to be close to him like Misha, Javier, Shoma,... 

I don't think Yuzu is super reserved. He has good interaction with Nobu, for example. He's so into being the spotlight, talks all the time (as far as I could tell from interviews with others), so I would imagine that's just how he is in a group.  Shoma would be a better example of a reserved person.

It's just that Yuzu basically works all the time (trains, competes, do CM, do PR, etc etc). He interacts with Javi in Toronto, where he has his "work" mindset on. Yuzu keeps his work and private life very separate (key to success as ninja!).

9 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Never forget the reports from the Kateigaho staff. :biggrin:

9 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Wait, you can't say not to Yuzu wanting to take a shower? What does that mean?

Kateigaho Snippets: The Natural Side of Yuzuru Hanyu

Returning to Japan during the summer, he took time out of his incredibly busy schedule to give us an exclusive photoshoot and interview. He arrived at the hotel where the shoot was to be held after finishing a previous engagement, and discovered that there was a bathroom.

With shining eyes he asked “Is it alright if I just pop in and take a quick shower?”. It was a rather tight schedule but he had such a delighted face that there was no way you could say no once you laid eyes on it (laughs). But thanks to that, he was completely refreshed. Since he went along with the interview in good spirits, it was the right choice to have let him take a shower.