General Yuzuru Chat

13 minutes ago, Sammie said:

It struck me when I watched CiONTU day 3 (and the replay clips on that day) that his movements now esp with body and arms are a lot more 'definite' and convey a lot more emotion and power than they use to (esp his junior/novice programs and now), which to me is part of that growing maturity in artistry.

15 時間前, tafattsbarnさんが言いました:

Do you have a link to the full interview in Japanese? Like a transcript? I would love to try and send it to some friends that might want to translate it. I felt really curious about it after you brought it up haha (:

This is the one I'm talking about. It's been sitting on my to-do list forever but I never got around to doing it due to sheer laziness. And the lack of a raw I could use for subbing purposes. And a lack of confidence. But mostly laziness. I don't think it's ever been translated in full. Probably. Don't quote me on that.

So if one of your pals or anyone else here wants to take a shot at it, they should. :)  It's not a happy interview, but it's an enlightening one all the same. And reveals quite a bit of things you don't get to hear him talk about during other less unhappy times. Which was why I wanted to do it. I would've, too, had my lazy ass not gotten in the way. As well as a couple of other things. But mostly my lazy ass.

17 hours ago, MrPudding said:

we now know the future :mischief:

Seeing him do those triple-jump combinations really shows how much a master of aerial acrobatics he is.  Makes me think of Epke Zonderland, the gymnast who took the gold in horizontal bar at the 2012 London Olympics.  In the horizontal bar there's a move comparable to a skater's jump, called a release, where the athlete in swinging around the bar releases his hold on it entirely and then grabs it again doing some kind of movement when completely airborne.  Epke wowed the judges and the crowd by doing three releases in a row and garnering maximum points in the process.  There's a short video of him just fooling around during a training session doing twenty-four of them in a row.  It's quite impressive.  I wonder how many jumps Yuzu could do in a row.  I doubt twenty-four but it could be five or six.  Perhaps if they were to give points for each additional jump (not counting loops) in a jumping pass you'd see quadmania eclipsed by a competition for number of jumps in a pass.

PS - Is it possible to have an initial jump with the arms above the head rather than crossed over the torso?

9 hours ago, micaelis said:

PS - Is it possible to have an initial jump with the arms above the head rather than crossed over the torso?

It's possible - just like it is to have a single (non-combination) jump with either a single or both arms overhead. It just takes more energy to jump that way. Alina and to some extent Zhenya use these sort of jumps liberally, as they have a higher score due to difficulty. The typical jump has the arms drawn in as close to the core as possible to help increase the rev/sec of the jump.

It's also an artistic thing. I remember reading somewhere that Brian Orser was not a big fan of liberal use of jumps with the arms above the head, and his approach is that they should be used sparingly to emphasise a point/part of the music.

12 minutes ago, micaelis said:

Seeing him do those triple-jump combinations really shows how much a master of aerial acrobatics he is.  Makes me think of Epke Zonderland, the gymnast who took the gold in horizontal bar at the 2012 London Olympics.  In the horizontal bar there's a move comparable to a skater's jump, called a release, where the athlete in swinging around the bar releases his hold on them entirely and then grabs it again doing some kind of movement when completely airborne.  Epke wowed the judges and the crowd by doing three releases in a row and garnering maximum points in the process.  There's a short video of him just fooling around during a training session doing twenty-four of them in a row.  It's quite impressive.  

Epke is flashy and reckless - he either manages to hammer the difficulty marks and just manages to stay on the bar or crashes spectacularly.  His execution is incredibly sloppy, bent arms, flailing legs, no finesse.  If you're going to compare Yuzuru to a gymnast you don't need to go beyond Japan.

2 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

Epke is flashy and reckless - he either manages to hammer the difficulty marks and just manages to stay on the bar or crashes spectacularly.  His execution is incredibly sloppy, bent arms, flailing legs, no finesse.  If you're going to compare Yuzuru to a gymnast you don't need to go beyond Japan.

I wasn't comparing Yuzu to Epke.  As you pointed out Epke is mainly flash.  My point was that Yuzu doing those three jump combinations was showing how jumping can involve more than just counting how many times you rotate, it can be how many jumps you get into a combination and showing how just like the number of quads in a program you can take things to an extreme.  If I were trying to compare Yuzu to a gymnast in terms of quality, as you said a comparison is to be found in Japan itself, Kohei Uchimura.  The two of them both share the title of Living Legend.   

3 hours ago, micaelis said:

I wasn't comparing Yuzu to Epke.  As you pointed out Epke is mainly flash.  My point was that Yuzu doing those three jump combinations was showing how jumping can involve more than just counting how many times you rotate, it can be how many jumps you get into a combination and showing how just like the number of quads in a program you can take things to an extreme.  If I were trying to compare Yuzu to a gymnast in terms of quality, as you said a comparison is to be found in Japan itself, Kohei Uchimura.  The two of them both share the title of Living Legend.   

Apologies - didn't mean to sound snappy - penalty of sending off a reply in a hurry.  The point I really meant to make is that those combos are a bit like Uchimura using the triple dismount from HB - he does it for fun/ experiment/ testing the limits in practice, but rarely in actual competition unless he is sufficiently far ahead that an error won't matter.  Yuzuru YOLOs when he needs to - Uchimura when it's safe to up until now.  I hope his third place in the recent competition will free him up to try things- the team is a real and very important thing with gymnastics instead of a fun/ Olympic anomaly as it is with skating,  and he has been team Japan's anchorman for so many seasons.