General Yuzuru Chat

9 hours ago, ajnats said:

This reminds me, I remember seeing a gifset on tumblr where Yuzu, Brian and David Wilson were laughing about Yuzuru mixing up "older" and "bigger" and saying he's much older than Brian. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd love to see it again, but I didn’t save it and I can't find it anymore. 

8 hours ago, Aotoshiro said:

Either Jounetsu Tairiku or Athlete's spirit, the first one of Yuzu, covering his move to Canada, iirc. Let's wait for Kaeryth...

8 hours ago, Pamigena said:

gif

vid

Oh gods, this. I remember feeling so awkward when I saw this the first time and I vowed to not watch it again, ever. And so now I checked just the gif to confirm if we're thinking of the same instance, and yep, I still feel awkward. (I can, and do, rewatch CoC'14, 4Lz-fall, Boston, programs with mistakes, but not this one. And also JSC'13. I feel so embarassed just thinking about it. My brain is weird, I know.)

Poor Yuzu was misunderstood and he seemed to struggle so hard to convey his thoughts. I'm glad his relationship with Brian got a lot better. 

11 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

Actually, I've tried an approximation of the Yuzu hot chocolate recipe (I missed the ginger, so tried to improvise) and it actually wasn't as sweet as it seems. Ghana milk chocolate isn't very sweet, especially compared to other milk chocolates, so the sweetness mostly comes from the marshmallows and white chocolate shavings, which aren't really that bad. I've had desserts sweeter than that (that weren't that sweet by accident) and I'm not a huge fan of super sweet stuff.

Wow - that's DEDICATION from you to replicate that drink. :bow:

I have such low tolerance for sugar that I always read food labels. I know the optimal amount of sugar for my drinks: 7g per 250ml (a cup).

Most people I know prefer 12g. (Orange juice, for instance, is ~ 18g). For ice cream, on the other hand, my optimal amount is about 16g / 250ml for neutral flavors, 18g for sour ones (eg: lemon). This is because cold and acidic food taste less sugary, so at 12g or so you can't even detect that the ice cream is sweet. Most store bought icecreams are 22-25g though... 

Ghana's milk chocolate seems to be ... ~ 25g sugar per bar. So, ignoring the lactose from the milk, this would be 25g per cup. That's pretty sweet...

20 hours ago, Erin said:

Wasn't there an interview with Yuzu where he was asked about that convo and iirc, he said that the point he was trying to make when he asked "Just good boy?" was that he wasn't a boy anymore and so should have been "good man" or something, and then Brian misunderstood so he followed with "amazing boy"? 

Please do correct me if i remembered wrong. I don't quite trust my memory. :headdesk2: 

Late to the discussion but I don't think Yuzu took notice of the word boy as much as the good part of "Good boy". The conversation went..

B: Good Boy

Y: That's (a) good boy?

B: Yeah of course. Amazing.

Y: Amazing boy

So Yuzu himself used the word boy. I think he was conveying "what? only good?" and when Brian said amazing, he was more happy with that description.

23 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Late to the discussion but I don't think Yuzu took notice of the word boy as much as the good part of "Good boy". The conversation went..

B: Good Boy

Y: That's (a) good boy?

B: Yeah of course. Amazing.

Y: Amazing boy

So Yuzu himself used the word boy. I think he was conveying "what? only good?" and when Brian said amazing, he was more happy with that description.

Yes, when I saw that convo I even thought that Yuzu was being a playful braggart because he fished for more compliments. And then I saw an interview with him where he explained that he was thinking "why still a boy" and I was like "oh so he wasn't actually fishing for more compliments that time". Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with fishing for more compliments, that could even be just him being playful. But I can see why there would be some people who'd think that's him being arrogant. 

ETA: Aside from the clip @SuzyQ provided, I think there's another interview where Yuzu explained that. With Matsuoka perhaps? But admittedly, I don't know Japanese and only relied on the translation, and the translation I got was that Yuzu was talking about the "boy" part and not the "good" one. 

1 hour ago, Erin said:

Yes, when I saw that convo I even thought that Yuzu was being a playful braggart because he fished for more compliments. And then I saw an interview with him where he explained that he was thinking "why still a boy" and I was like "oh so he wasn't actually fishing for more compliments that time". Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with fishing for more compliments, that could even be just him being playful. But I can see why there would be some people who'd think that's him being arrogant. 

ETA: Aside from the clip @SuzyQ provided, I think there's another interview where Yuzu explained that. With Matsuoka perhaps? But admittedly, I don't know Japanese and only relied on the translation, and the translation I got was that Yuzu was talking about the "boy" part and not the "good" one. 

Hopefully you'll find the translations (because I can't seem to recall reading one) but it's really not a big deal. :laughing:

Sorry this is a little off topic, but I was watching the video where Brian talks about flying to Japan for a super secret meeting and finding to his surprise that the meeting was with Yuzu. He says something along the lines of, "He (Yuzu) was the last person I expected." Anyone with a better sense of Yuzu's career trajectory/reputation at the time, have a sense of what Brian meant by this? Thanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, k8y said:

Sorry this is a little off topic, but I was watching the video where Brian talks about flying to Japan for a super secret meeting and finding to his surprise that the meeting was with Yuzu. He says something along the lines of, "He (Yuzu) was the last person I expected." Anyone with a better sense of Yuzu's career trajectory/reputation at the time, have a sense of what Brian meant by this? Thanks in advance.

That was in a Spanish documentary about Javier. I think it is exactly what it it meant - Brian Orser didn't expect to be asked to coach Yuzuru - so when he was asked to go to this secret meeting, it was very much a case of he didn't know which athlete it would be about - hence his surprise that Yuzuru was there. I guess back then, Yuzuru was doing so well with Nanami Abe, and had been with her for so long, that Brian didn't expect Yuzuru would be leaving her tutelage - ie Yuzuru "was the last person [he] expected". Bear in mind that Nanami had suggested Yuzuru should extend himself and improve by looking for another coach overseas, and that, in my mind, says a lot about Nanami as a person, and how much she cared to have the best for her pupil, ahead of any ego...

Do you guys know anything about some jpn show that makes (not good) jokes on seimei n yuzuru, or something along that line, very recently? I saw a complaint's being translated into japanese in my tl and was confused what theyre talking about, that tweet was gaining popularity quickly

21 minutes ago, swanbeau said:

Do you guys know anything about some jpn show that makes (not good) jokes on seimei n yuzuru, or something along that line, very recently? I saw a complaint's being translated into japanese in my tl and was confused what theyre talking about, that tweet was gaining popularity quickly

I come here to ask to...I only know that he dress as Seimei and working in night club....

40 minutes ago, swanbeau said:

18 minutes ago, anyanee said:

I come here to ask to...I only know that he dress as Seimei and working in night club....

Maybe you are talking abt this show? lol

2 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Hopefully you'll find the translations (because I can't seem to recall reading one) but it's really not a big deal. :laughing:

Haha i hope so too. I don't bookmark translations and even for videos, i don't bookmark a lot. I ought to change that. :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: 

Anyway, here's what SuzyQ posted here and i guess she also got the same impression. 

15 hours ago, SuzyQ said:

As far as I hear Yuzuru's interview in Japanese after FS of NHK Trophy 2015, IMO what made him feel uneasy, or was on his mind, was the word "boy" itself.  But in his English actually, it might sound different, and might have sounded different to Brian too.

(Edit:  It might have sounded as "good boy is not enough to comment", so Brian added "Amazing".  This is just my guess, though.)

Yuzuru:  終わった後に、いい子だったよ、と言われたんですけど、まだ、いい子なの?という話はしました。

Owatta ato ni, iiko dattayo to iwaretandesukedo, mada iiko nano? to iu hanashi wa shimashita. 

"After the performance, he said 'Good boy', so I said 'Am I still a good boy?'  That's what we talked."