General Yuzuru Chat

7 hours ago, singermelodie1 said:

rice cooker and I still wonder how he was drinking that chocolate with such a smile when he obviously put too much sugar.

And his mom would worry a lot if she wasn't around him especially with his asthma.

Around 2:44 after he puts the cup into the microwave, he's asked himself 'What can I do in 1min 30sec (the microwave cooking time)?' He said 'I could do all the elements (of my program) of the 2nd half'

He's also said his sense of timing (of his own movements like jumps, spins, etc) is quite accurate in the sense he can judge how many seconds he needs to perform those elements. You can see it from his comments, he's always thinking about skating or something to do with skating. His brain is switched on permanently to skating channel.

He's also said he liked  to watch cooking programs for hours. So he knows what's required for cooking and he's probably decided to distance himself from actual cooking based on what's involved. He's weighed skating and cooking and skating was far more important for him.

It makes me laugh that these people criticising him for not being independent just because his mum does cooking, etc for him.

Oh well, I'd say to them to go and skate then make & break WR for 12 times. And also get 2 consecutive OGM and 4 consecutive GPF  & JPN title and all the other amazing things that Yuzu's achieved and influenced. Oh and you have to start at least the age of 15...

More or less, people with great achievements have some sort of flaws. If that flaw is very minor, like in Yuzu's case, inability to cook, then people making it a big deal should realise how pathetic their argument is. I always had this understanding that to be super brilliant in one thing, you can be really dumb at simple things. Universe has to work out the balance of brilliant and dumb in some ways. :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: Also Yuzu's having inability to do certain things makes him a real human. If he's achieved all these things and also he's a master chef and F1 driver then I'd seriously doubt if he's a human!

People can be weird about adults living with parents. My mother & I live together but she is the one living "with me" since I am the breadwinner (plus she did literally move into my home). If she still wants do mom-like things for me, why should I stop her? I like to cook occasionally but I do think of the kitchen as her territory now; it seems to even the power balance between us a bit. 

Yuzuru was a child when he moved to Canada with his mom, this seriously cannot be considered the same as "living at home." It's a situation that works and I think it would remain essential as long as he is competing... Too disruptive to change at this point.

I also think if he wanted to cook he would go totally overboard with it! All or nothing at all, there is no in between for him... Like he would want to learn great knife skills and show them off, etc.

The only thing I sometimes wonder about, re yuzu living with his mom while here in Canada is how it impacts her. I mean obviously she had to be with him at first, and then for training for his 2nd gold she was essential. But, now that goal is achieved and he is continuing, meaning living away from the other half of the family for even longer ... I wonder if his sister is married yet, or has kids, and then wonder if mom would want to be in Japan to be with them... but then I remember that they probably have everything worked out, and it is really none of my concern!! What they have done is working and, well, if I was in her shoes I would be doing the exact same thing... supporting my child for however long he/she needed me in order to reach incredible goals and achievements. Moms do these things for their kids... mine certainly would, and on that note, Sunday is Mother's Day here, a perfect time to recognize moms. 

24 minutes ago, liv said:

Moms do these things for their kids... mine certainly would, and on that note, Sunday is Mother's Day here, a perfect time to recognize moms. 

To all our mothers out there, Happy Mother's Day!

I also found the YT clip I referred to in my post above, and this is a very fitting example and recognition of all the "hidden" but vital work mothers do for their kids.

Honestly, as someone who was very sheltered until the age of 26 (although I think in some ways, Yuzu is more independent than I ever was in that period) and who was forced to become independent when my mother died, I really hope Yuzu goes independent while it's still a choice. Also, a lot of people think of it just in terms of money and cooking and cleaning etc. That's not it at all. With enough money, he can hire a maid to do all of that for him for the rest of his life. (It's funny how it always ends up him I give an example, but Yoshiki is 52 years old, has been living away from home since he was 18 and he can't even crack an egg.) The sheltering one gets from having one's mother take care of everything so they can focus on school or, like in Yuzu's case, skating as well, is a lot more than that. It's psychological as well. In many ways, the mother is a shield between the real world and the child. It's not even something specific, but losing that shield can make one feel completely lost. I went through severe anxiety and it took me a long time to learn to be independent. And I'm not even fully so, by normal people standards, because I still live with my father. Of course, there are people whose parents live until very old age, and Yuzu's parents are Japanese, so very likely to do so. I don't wish what happened to me to happen to anyone, ever, let alone someone I like. But from my own experience, being sheltered by one's mother is about a lot more than cooking and cleaning and providing financial security. And because I know how hard it was for me to suddenly lose that shelter, I hope Yuzu can more slowly and on his own terms step away from it.

Like @liv said, it made perfect sense while he was gunning for the second gold. Now, it would make sense if he would slowly take steps to move away from it. Especially since he will probably need to start growing more as a person as well. I adore Yuzu, but aside from his obvious mental maturity - as revealed by his interviews and comments - he still seems to be a child in many ways. His life seems to have been only skating, studying, then gaming and music for relaxation. And like I said, it made sense, and I'm sure it played a big part in his success. But he'll probably need to move along at some point. Whether that point is now or not is up to him, of course. And his family. And maybe it'll never come. And that's fine, too. It's his life, not mine. It also won't affect how I think of him, not as a skater, not as a person mature beyond his years, in many ways. But an independent Yuzu who fully takes care of himself would add an extra layer of cool for me, to be honest. lol (I also tend to think he would be just fine at cooking if he really went for it. I tend to think anyone can be a decent cook if they try and follow instructions. I hate cooking and don't think I'm any super talent, but I still managed. And Yuzu is much more disciplined and ambitious, so I'm sure he'd do fine. lol)

13 時間前, singermelodie1さんが言いました:

rice cooker and I still wonder how he was drinking that chocolate with such a smile when he obviously put too much sugar.

And his mom would worry a lot if she wasn't around him especially with his asthma.

It's actually a tad too sweet even for him. Because near the end of the video when he tasted it again after dunking in all the toppings, his reaction was like, "...it's...sweet..." and then followed it up with complimentary remarks since he's promoting the product after all. >_<

13 時間前, k8yさんが言いました:

LOL. This video is hilarious to me because it is exactly how my children would make hot chocolate - the way he sticks his finger in the milk at the beginning, the bajillion marshmallows and shavings he tops it with, how tentative he is throughout the process, even though he is basically microwaving a chocolate bar in milk. This boy is so sweetly low-functioning when it comes to non-skating stuff. 

He actually added the marshmallows because they involved less hassle. He checked with one of the behind-the-scenes guy, asking if the whipped cream is easier to handle or the marshmallows and the guy said marshmallows (obviously) and he was like, "Marshmallows it is, then." Given it's a commercial recording, I'm thinking he wanted the whole thing to go as quickly, smoothly and painlessly as possible and as such chose the most practical and functional methods of delivery. 

I...am  not sure why he thought adding shaved white choc on top of marshmallows dunked in hot choc is a good idea tho. Like, I never got why my dad thought adding chili pepper flakes after drenching his pizza slice with hot sauce is a good idea, either. Why the overkill? The ginger Hanyu decided to add last, for the most part, was a good idea but the honeyed part of it probably made the already sickly sweetness turn into a terminal one. I'll admit, I couldn't help but make a face when I watched him sip all that.

12 時間前, micaelisさんが言いました:

I don't think he is that low-functioning outside of skating.  After all, he's taking university classes in a very demanding field.  He's evidently also involved with video-gaming as a major form of recreation.  I have a feeling that he is dividing his activities between rink and home to deliberately keep his life as simple as possible.  We have to remember that for Javi the difference between Spain and Canada is primarily the difference between Spanish and English (both of which languages are from the same language family - Indo-European), and differences of climate.  Javi didn't have to learn a new alphabet and fundamentally different grammar, and also learn a totally different cuisine (food that uses spoons, knives and forks instead of food that uses chopsticks).  If, as Brian has commented, Yuzu is more introverted than Javi, then Yuzu's situation now is quite understandable.  I think he has weighed his options and decided that for the purposes of practicality not knowing some of those basic things that normal people know is not that important because, as Yuzu would be the first to humbly acknowledge, Yuzu is not normal people.

He's said something to the effect that he's the same way back home in Japan, and he's been that way since he was a little kid, because he gets all the out-of-home excitement he needs from the rink that just chilling and doing his own stuff at home is a nice way to balance it out. Otherwise, he likes hanging out and having fun outside as much as the next person. But now that we have dealing with the media frenzy in the mix, it's a miracle he still feels like going out to eat sometimes at all, lol. That's got to tire a person out enough to want to stay home and do nothing but chill for long periods of time.

@His dependence on his mom. Expounding on what @singermelodie1 said, when your kid has asthma but is also an insanely-driven top athlete who also doesn't seem to like eating a lot, and that insane drive propels them to travel halfway across the world to a much colder place to train when they are not even out of high school yet, you really don't have much of a choice. And when you being there even well into their adulthood eventually helps your child achieve their biggest dream, then you are right where you should be. There will be a time when you'll have part with them for the long term so why not be there and do what you can while you still can and enjoy every moment of it? The last part was what my mom told me when I asked her if she's ever tired of doing stuff for me. I do a lot of things on my own but when I get lazy and decide to leave things for later, she swoops in like a vulture. She also still does most of the cooking, though I do help her out in the kitchen. And I'm a healthy ox who's far faaaar from being an elite anything...

All in all, I wouldn't worry about it. Asians, especially, tend to be able to do the sink or swim thing pretty good. I know a bunch who had their parents do stuff for them right up until they moved out and after a short period of adjustment, they all manage fine on their own. I mean not all of them are the epitome of home economy prowess, but they manage. So right up until Hanyu absolutely needs to manage on his own, I don't see a problem with his mom managing the daily aspects of things, so long as she's happy to do it...and trust me, she is.

4 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

@livI tend to think anyone can be a decent cook if they try and follow instructions.

I wouldn't be too sure of that, and I speak as one of the great Bad Cooks of the World... I have burned boiled eggs (twice in an hour), exploded mushrooms, made a baby's bottle with icing sugar, added salt five times to a meal that didn't need it at all, more than once forgotten that tablespoons and teaspoons are, umm, not the same (even after the curry disaster), completely screwed up the complexities of toast with jam (I still don't quite know how)... and we don't talk about the Spaghetti Incident. I actually happily nodded along with Yizi's hot chocolate making and didn't quite (till you folk explained) get what was wrong with it.

I also know a monk who still doesn't understand why throwing brown and white into the same pot to cook doesn't work, and read about a woman who forgot to put egg in her family's egg and lettuce sandwiches.  We do try, we just... go blank.  But at least Yuzu can afford to eat out/ring in as long as he needs to (I know of people who do that pretty much all the time, they NEVER make anything more complicated than corn flakes.)

4 hours ago, Kizuna said:
  Hide contents

Sweetwaterさん, do you happen to know the questions to these answers? :tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5: I could guess most of them, except for 4, 7, 10 & 11.  Thank you in advance!

4 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

Thank you, Hydro! :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

I didn't know the Q and A has been fully translated. Should have used this page as a source :68468287: