General Yuzuru Chat

@Murieleirum thanks for the insight. 

I always felt that LGC was the type of program that had very little room for error. When I think back to the short programs for all top 6 men they seem to all have a slower tempo. I'll be curious to see what Jeff picks this season and if he takes these type of things into account. 

28 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Ballade must be approx. close to the 'fast' part of PW, which is still pretty slow. Ballade also has the thing that there's a lot of breath between one musical phrase and another - the piano slows down considerably, so the tempo is really flexible here. But yeah, not surprisingly, this was a program that gave Yuzuru a chance to breath, especially in the first half. 

LGC, on the other hand, is 98 BPM, from start to finish (okay not including the small introduction). And I feel it, personally. LGC is a program that requires more energy, less (no) room for breathing, and this is just musically wise. Skating-wise, no need for me to tell you, just read the analysis. So, mentally, and musically, LGC was, in fact, more difficult than Chopin. 

Thank you for your great insight :happy0158:. In LGC, I felt Yuzu need to skate in fast speed in the whole program. With Chopin, he moves gently and graceful for the 1st half and get faster during the stsq, the same thing with PW. When I heard LGC for the 1st time, I used to afraid that Yuzu couldn't pull off the extra energy while doing difficult steps, but he got it at NHK, GPF and Worlds, despite the error. 

4 hours ago, xeyra said:

I couldn't actually handle the tables in the forum to do what I wanted and couldn't copy the one I did in Excel, so I just went ahead and uploaded it as an image. Your research, in table format.

TOTAL PCS SCORE 10.00 GIVEN IN THE 2016/2017 SEASON

3WRint5.png

Note: Technically, Yuzu's SP at 4CC 2017 didn't have an error... he popped a quad but every element was counted. :shrug:

Thank you xeyra, it looks really nice this way :bow:

I knew there was a better way to present the data, but I couldn't figure it out 

20 minutes ago, Neenah said:

Thank you xeyra, it looks really nice this way :bow:

I knew there was a better way to present the data, but I couldn't figure it out 

There's probably better ways to do it and I forgot to account for how to present the total per competition, for example, which is something you had in your original post.

Re: slow music being easier. Was it in the Seimei documentary I just watched or the Shizuka interview? Or one of the other million videos I clicked on today? But I'm sure he brought up that with slow music it requires more effort to sync oneself with the music. Playing an instrument is the same. If you play a simple scale on a piano it's much easier to play it evenly if you play it fast. Playing it slowly takes good control and a strong sense of rhythm. 

9 hours ago, randomanon said:

I'd love to hear your thoughts on how Latin would translate to FS! It's really refreshing to hear your insight! :) 

:thankyou: Thank you!! The dance stuff I can comment on but on the skating side I'm going on theory because I'm not a skater. So if there are any skaters (or other dancers!) in the house please chime in! Penny for your thoughts!

7 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

I think he would be able to do hip hop very well, because he's got the sense of rhtythm and musicality for it. That off-ice hip-hop training video of him shows how impressive he is! :smile:

Yes, I think he'd be able to do well the smoother styles of hip hop. I did see the off-ice hip hop training video and thought he was quite good (far better than anyone else in the class!). That style of hip hop is commercial/lyrical like this and that would suit him.  I don't think he would do well with any style that requires extremely sharp, hard hitting movements or isolations (krump, popping, animation, etc). Those require you to hold a LOT of tension in the upper body and Yuzu never really does.

5 hours ago, meoima said:

He will do well at the Olympic. All the struggles and challenges he has been suffering these 4 years are for that day.

I agree. Dragon Yuzu hunting for gold shiny can't not appear. I can see him basking in the tension of the moment finally arriving. He has been waiting for this for a very, very long time - ever since he wrote on his checklist "gold medal in Pyeongchang". How long ago is that now? At least 10 years?

2 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Re: slow music being easier. Was it in the Seimei documentary I just watched or the Shizuka interview? Or one of the other million videos I clicked on today? But I'm sure he brought up that with slow music it requires more effort to sync oneself with the music. Playing an instrument is the same. If you play a simple scale on a piano it's much easier to play it evenly if you play it fast. Playing it slowly takes good control and a strong sense of rhythm. 

I would say it depends on the choregraphy. For the person executing the movements, it's more what you do within the music rather than the actual music. What is more difficult? His fast intricate step sequence in LGC or holding his layback Ina Bauer for half the rink? They are both extremely difficult.

3 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

But control is Yuzuru's forte, right? c: 

Of course I don't think 'slow music is easier than fast music', it's not about how many notes you play, but the tempo in which you play them, that gives you more time to breathe... to me, having a "slower tempo" in which to prepare yourself mentally, to which you can sync your own heartbeat... it's better. I've seen Yuzuru more relaxed, compared to LGC. He was always very intense, which can also mean tense, and jumps are harder when you're tense. But of course, I don't want to reduce everything to just the music's tempo. Music's not all, hehe. 

11 minutes ago, Fresca said:

I would say it depends on the choregraphy. For the person executing the movements, it's more what you do within the music rather than the actual music. What is more difficult? His fast intricate step sequence in LGC or holding his layback Ina Bauer for half the rink? They are both extremely difficult.

Yes! I agree with everything. I'd say that the tempo sets the mood. A musical piece can be done at 80 BPM and at 100 BPM. Maybe it wouldn't be less or more difficult, but the mood will change. The mood of the musicians will change. The color of the piece will change.

1 hour ago, the50person said:

What if Yuzu skates to epic music like Ivan Torrent's Icarus...?

All the feather/wing imagery did make my think of the Icarus myth, among others. But the symbolism is bad. Getting carried away with your homemade wings, flying too close to the sun, melting them and plummeting to earth? Noooo! That is the opposite of what needs to happen. I call choosing that music tempting fate.

11 hours ago, Fay said:

Thanks for sharing! GOE of sp in world :( What happened in 4CC, 39.55 for pcs???... Need to rewatch the program.

Edit: 39.55 for TES...sorry..Thanks Yoa :)

About the music, I think fast and slow tempo are both hard for different reasons.  The medium one seems to be easy. I think only Yuzu can master both fast and slow music :goe:

45 minutes ago, Anony said:

Completely random, but looking at the banner made me realise how much Yuzuru has changed... or rather hasn't... like at all... No, seriously has he even aged in the past 4-5 years?

Very flexible people generally age well. It's to do with a lack of of a kind of collagen in the body which affects skin as well as soft tissue. I bet you his skin is stretchy, too. You'd think from all the cosmetics released claiming to boost collagen to reduce wrinkles it'd be the other way around but there you go.

(Short sightedness and lack of appetite also go hand in hand with it.)

10 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

i definitely agree that slow music is harder. with intense, fast-paced music like seimei, it's easier to build on the energy in the music and even musically, there's a lot happening (which is difficult in it's own way concerning energy). whereas with slower music, you have to really engage the music because "empty spaces" where not much is happening (in the music) are much more obvious. with slow music, everything sticks out much more and every move is much more deliberately and not easily masked (if a mistake is made)