General Yuzuru Chat

28 minutes ago, Huiqi said:

Wow.. I wish you were my teacher back then. If I'm not mistaken, the men's event occurred during the Chinese new year, right? Were there no holiday for your school?

It was supposed to be a holiday but there was an extremely controversional order from the principal (who herself is a Chinese) to have mandatory classes for Form 5 (who are sitting for their SPM exams). She didn't want the school results and standings to be affected this year so her order created a major uproar. Government officials from state department and the ministry came to the school to deal with this issue. I'm actually Malay married to a Chinese so imagine my horror trying to explain to my mother-in-law. :headdesk2:

The weird thing was that most of my Chinese students came to school that morning, while the others played hooky to watch FS, hence the 'heart-to-heart' talk.  :disdain:

3 minutes ago, Sammie said:

:3:

i understand why they do it but i really wish media outlets would stop jumping at the chance to drag yuzu into other skaters' business like this. you could tell how sick javi was getting of being treated like a supporting character in yuzu's success story despite his own achievements... it's not fair on anyone to do this, especially when it hasn't even been confirmed where zhenya is actually going.

2 minutes ago, valkyrie said:

i understand why they do it but i really wish media outlets would stop jumping at the chance to drag yuzu into other skaters' business like this. you could tell how sick javi was getting of being treated like a supporting character in yuzu's success story despite his own achievements... it's not fair on anyone to do this, especially when it hasn't even been confirmed where zhenya is actually going.

It's pretty much a certainty which is why they did it. They do like to capitalize on Yuzuru but at the same time, they're not stupid either; they know it's happening. And well, it is big news. It'll settle down after a while but expect at this time that press will like the association. It's how media functions.

1 hour ago, Yatagarasu said:

It's pretty much a certainty which is why they did it. They do like to capitalize on Yuzuru but at the same time, they're not stupid either; they know it's happening. And well, it is big news. It'll settle down after a while but expect at this time that press will like the association. It's how media functions.

Interesting because in one breath, the article states she's staying in the same club but with a different coach; in the next breath, speculation of a move to Canada starts - almost like a desperation attempt to link the two skaters together and somehow draw Hanyu into the story. I guess the Olympics YT channel figured that Mr Hanyu draws in the views (as evidenced by the recent clips featuring him), so perhaps this is trying to do the same??

Well, if we are going to speculate, please forgive me for throwing this into the rumour mill as well: this came up in the last 24 hours (along with a post saying "hello"), after some 2 or 3 months of zero posts. A conspiracy theorist would join a lot of dots to this tweet! (But we aren't conspiracy theorists are we? :8:)

"Are jokes about the vegan Ghoul still relevant? Or am I late?"

40 minutes ago, Cerunias said:

Interesting because in one breath, the article states she's staying in the same club but with a different coach; in the next breath, speculation of a move to Canada starts - almost like a desperation attempt to link the two skaters together and somehow draw Hanyu into the story. I guess the Olympics YT channel figured that Hanyu draws in the views (as evidenced by the recent clips featuring him), so perhaps this is trying to do the same??

Well, if we are going to speculate, please forgive me for throwing this into the rumour mill as well: this came up in the last 24 hours (along with a post saying "hello"), after some 2 or 3 months of zero posts. A conspiracy theorist would join a lot of dots to this tweet!

"Are jokes about the vegan Ghoul still relevant? Or am I late?"

First thought: while there's past competitions streaming parties happening here, are those two having their own Tokyo Ghoul rabbit parties?! That'd be pretty funny!

Second thought I'll be a conspiracy theorist, I don't care: in the middle of all the chatter about her moving to Yuzu's club, she reminds everyone that she's also a fan of his favorite show?! It's almost like she wants to invite more speculation here...

Spoiler

But honestly, as long as they can protect themselves from the "bad" effects of speculation/shipping/etc, it isn't necessarily a bad thing for them, especially in the long run... The focus on their personal life does a lot to raise an athlete's profile, just look at Tessa and Scott! They wouldn't be on Ellen or have all the opportunities they do without everyone obsessing over their relationship status... Of course, it would only be okay if both parties agreed to play with the media in that way...

25 minutes ago, GraceAndPower said:

First thought: while there's past competitions streaming parties happening here, are those two having their own Tokyo Ghoul rabbit parties?! That'd be pretty funny!

Second thought I'll be a conspiracy theorist, I don't care: in the middle of all the chatter about her moving to Yuzu's club, she reminds everyone that she's also a fan of his favorite show?! It's almost like she wants to invite more speculation here...

Reveal hidden contents

But honestly, as long as they can protect themselves from the "bad" effects of speculation/shipping/etc, it isn't necessarily a bad thing for them, especially in the long run... The focus on their personal life does a lot to raise an athlete's profile, just look at Tessa and Scott! They wouldn't be on Ellen or have all the opportunities they do without everyone obsessing over their relationship status... Of course, it would only be okay if both parties agreed to play with the media in that way...

Hah! I wasn't even thinking about shipping etc...I was more thinking that with Mr Fernandez gone from TCC now, someone like Ms Medvedeva might be good for Mr Hanyu in terms of pushing him to one-up and keep improving (not that Mr Hanyu doesn't have that drive internally himself, based on his own publicised comments; but to have that kind of external stimulus helps too, in my experience). Although, that said, I guess the friendly competition in practice that reportedly existed between Mr Fernandez and Mr Hanyu is somewhat a rarity amongst high-level athletes, as Mr Orser himself pointed out.

9 minutes ago, GraceAndPower said:

Hide contents

I'm not sure if Yuzuru needs that to gain attention. I remember he said in a press post PC that it would be more and more stressful from now because media would follow him everywhere and everytime. It sounds like he doesn't like obsessive attention from media much. If he is lurking, he surely knows what media has done to him ( shipping, rumors, criticism,...) without having ( official) SNS accounts. Everybody cares how Misha, Evgenia, Javier feel when they get attacked by Yuzuru's fans and hardcore shippers but Yuzuru,  how does he feel when witnessing all these kinds of things on the internet.  

23 minutes ago, wpisces said:

I'm not sure if Yuzuru needs that to gain attention. I remember he said in a press post PC that it would be more and more stressful from now because media would follow him everywhere and everytime. It sounds like he doesn't like obsessive attention from media much. If he is lurking, he surely knows what media has done to him ( shipping, rumors, criticism,...) without having ( official) SNS accounts. Everybody cares how Misha, Evgenia, Javier feel when they get attacked by Yuzuru's fans and hardcore shippers but Yuzuru,  how does he feel when witnessing all these kinds of things on the internet.  

Fair to say, most celebrities have a love-hate relationship with the media for that reason. The media loves speculation to feed the imaginations of their readers (and bear in mind that we have some of the blame to carry too, since without us lapping up what the media dishes out, the media wouldn't exist). The celebs use the media to promote their cause/products. They need each other, but it's not exactly a relationship of "love" and/or "friendship", nor is it necessarily equal in power.

Someone like Mr Hanyu will be no different I imagine - he clearly is affected by the negative comments carried by the media, as well as the erroneous speculations (I refer to his comments at CiONTU); but he is also a user of the media eg to promote Japan and Sendai, and to raise awareness for the ongoing post-earthquake reconstruction efforts.

Those celebs who have been in the game for a long time have clearly found a way to manage this relationship that can otherwise be ruinous (and have ruined many other celebs along the way). Undoubtedly, there probably are "tips and tricks for the new players". One would hope that Mr Hanyu can pick these up and fortify himself against the emotional baggage that speculative media can create (and certainly, avoiding feeding trolls is the most obvious first step!). And one would also hope that we, as media consumers, take care to not "encourage" the media to overstep boundaries of courtesy in their zealous chase of their "quarry". Princess Di, sadly, was one of the most prominent and extreme example within the past generation of the destructive nature (and power) of this relationship.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to my question about the 2015 season. I can see the care you put into your responses. Seems like it was a year of “Oh geeze, what NOW?” What’s the saying? “From the fire comes the sword”?  *flashback of Seimei with lightsabers vid*  :thanks:

8 minutes ago, Huiqi said:

Olympic channel milking the Yuzu content again hahaha

I just woke up and had the biggest WHAT????. Not surprising they mention Yuzu since it does bring attention and apparently it seems it's true. 

1 hour ago, GraceAndPower said:

Hopping in to to say that, um, no. I really feel the need to remind people that Zhenya's actions are her own and not due to Yuzuru. She's been a fan of the show/manga for a long time, even before we discovered that Yuzu is a fan as well. She would sometimes tweet about it. It's entirely possible for two separate people to be fans of something~ I myself am a huge fan of the manga, am I suddenly also going to be drawn into the speculation? :party2: Besides, the third season of the anime started airing just recently (contrary to this tweet hehe) and there's been a lot of talk about it, it makes sense that she would start tweeting about something that she loves as it's occurring.

I'm sorry for being that person but it's sorely needed atm

6 minutes ago, Hanmgse said:

I just woke up and had the biggest WHAT????. Not surprising they mention Yuzu since it does bring attention and apparently it seems it's true. 

I think the title should have been "Medvedeva to train with Brian Orser?!" instead, but as you say... lol