General Yuzuru Chat

If he is thinking about landing 4A and possibly quintuples, Im sure he is also thinking about 2022 Beijing because to land those 2 jumps in 2 seasons is too short of a time. He needed 3 seasons just to stabilize quad salchow with perfect high GOE. Yuzu is a perfectionist. He would want to land those 2 dream jumps of his with high GOE, which would take 3 seasons at the very least. And if he does 3 seasons, he will do one more season to go to olympics prepared maybe. His comment today gave me hope of seeing him compete for longer. But if he does land 4A and Quint in just 2 seasons? Well he can retire and I will applaud the man and love him to death for it too ♥ 

7 minutes ago, micaelis said:

As far as the 4A and quints go, though, I don't think he'll need four seasons to attain them.  Remember he only needed three weeks to get a suitable number of quads back into functional form once he was back on the ice after the injury. 

You are confusing something here. It is one thing to get back your existing quads you have been jumping for years and a whoooole other thing to learn a new quad let alone a quad axel or quint. Those are incomparable 

May be he doesn't know if he would be an adequate gold medal contender in the next Olympics season. That would be why he isn't committing to anything. I mean, I would love for him to continue competing, but he obviously has reached a certain level of contentment with his achievements, and living away from Japan constantly would not be a walk in park for him and and his family, also he has his education and future plans to run, most of which are Japan based. So I would understand if he stops after some more seasons and a 4A. 

15 minutes ago, Yolo3a said:

May be he doesn't know if he would be an adequate gold medal contender in the next Olympics season. That would be why he isn't committing to anything. I mean, I would love for him to continue competing, but he obviously has reached a certain level of contentment with his achievements, and living away from Japan constantly would not be a walk in park for him and and his family, also he has his education and future plans to run, most of which are Japan based. So I would understand if he stops after some more seasons and a 4A. 

Also his private life and happiness matters too.

He always talked about sacrificing so many things for PyeongChang and I always got the sense he was somehow lonely living abroad with few friends. He always misses Japan and to train in Japan for Beijing is hard. Except the ice shows and competitions and events he is mostly in Canada, and although he loves Canada too I always sensed that he was Japanese all the way to the extent he really only feels truly happy with his family in Japan. 

After I sensed this I gave up on wanting him to go to Beijing. He will be 27 then, so sacrificing half your 20s for another OGM which he doesn't really need nor want and to trade that for friends, family and happiness in Japan would not be his first priority in my opinion. I feel now that he is not striving for more success or titles or honors. He doesn't need nor crave them as much anymore. He just loves skating and he wants to be happy and healthy doing it. If he lands 4A and quits and goes back to Japan, he can start producing Ciontu with better quality and that will be as good as any competition to fanyus I hope ♥♥

Im keeping an eye on Japanese sites for Hanyu fan threads and alot of them think opposite. They think it will be a bad idea for Yuzuru to settle down in Japan with a partner in the future because crazy japanese fanyus would constantly mob her or him wherever he goes (not physical harass mobbing but excessive interest into his private affairs and life because of his overwhelming popularity). Also Japanese media and tabloid have a bad rep for excessively publishing and digging into gossip of celebrities like yuzuru, which yuzuru clearly does not like (Ciontu ending). If yuzuru is sensitive to public persona imagery and privacy concerns, Japan will also have difficulties to live for the rest of his life because he is almost like a God in that country now. Much moreso than the popular actor or actress in Japan. And if he does land 4A I swear that Japan will literally treat him as a national icon even more severly which has its ups and downs. (Like how Michael Jackson couldn't mentally handle and cope with overwhelming fame, too much fame hurts).

5 hours ago, moonkat said:

latest?cb=20170111161124

what about this suit?

kaneki is 170cm btw

Aww I love to see Yuzu in this suit...:10636614:

3 hours ago, Marinn said:

:english1:

According to ISU/bios:

Hanyu 172cm

Tanaka 172cm

The difference is the size of the face! Also did you guys know Tanaka's first name Keiji (刑事) means police. People call him 'Deka (cop)' because of that.

5 hours ago, cinemacoconut said:

https://nettv.gov-online.go.jp/mobile/prg.php?p=16975&nt=1

Prime minister Abe asked Hanyu if he is going to Beijing 2022 Olympics at 

12 Minute mark in the video link.

Yuzu replied

"For Beijing, Im not sure yet."

5 hours ago, ninomiya said:

I suppose you can't just dodge questions from the prime minister. :1: he tried so hard and got so far but in the end it doesn't even matter

But they were rather casual about it tho. It was totally different to the conversation with the emperor.

It was almost like:

Abe: (How about) Beijing? :tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5:

Yuzu: Am...not sure yet :tumblr_m9gcrtET5W1qzckow:

52 minutes ago, micaelis said:

We know he's been trying a 4A for some time, by that I mean several years.

4A is a last summer thing.

In re to how long it'll take, 4A is dangerous. I keep repeating this, but this is not a weeks thing. Yagudin almost broke his neck trying it. There's a reason why nobody has gotten to it yet and why even the 3A is so dodgy for so many. In Yuzuru's case, additionally, a lot will depend on how his recovery is going, so even if he wants to give it at least a try next season, it may not be feasible considering the timing. He also has to recover the Lz/Lo/F. 

We'll have to wait and see but as things stand now, from the info we have, while I could see him give it a go next season for the fun of it at say WTT, serious competition inclusion of the 4A is probably a matter of 2019/20. Of course, we will probably get additional info as season progresses as there is no way media will leave him alone about this, so it'll be easier to make an educated guess.

1 minute ago, BWOZWaltz said:

Aww I love to see Yuzu in this suit...:10636614:

The difference is the size of the face! Also did you guys know Tanaka's first name Keiji (刑事) means police. People call him 'Deka (cop)' because of that.

But they were rather casual about it tho. It was totally different to the conversation with the emperor.

It was almost like:

Abe: (How about) Beijing? :tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5:

Yuzu: Am...not sure yet :tumblr_m9gcrtET5W1qzckow:

I realized that Hanyus answer is the most clever and right answer. 

Even if I was Hanyu and I was secretly planning on Beijing or secretly wanted that 3 peat title more than anything, I would give a white lie saying I don't know for 3 reasons. 

I put myself in Hanyu's shoes and that answer made perfect sense. 

Why Hanyu says "I don't know" regardless of what he truly or secretly feels about Beijing. 

This is all my speculation so just read if you want and skip if you don't want to hear my opinion.

1. If I say I'm going to Beijing to the media, then I have to commit to those 4 years for responsibility of what I have said to the public, but my motivations may change along the way. Or I might get injured and have to retire. If I retire midway people may say I copped out of my promise or words. And say that I was not a man of my words for the rest of my life (Some will say). 

2. By saying "I don't know yet" the media won't publish exaggerated and out of context articles of hyping me up to Beijing bringing more media pressure. And the last thing I need is more media pressure and interest in my life

3. If I say I will go to Beijing, then people will expect a 3 peat or a Gold Medal from me for the next 4 years, and will expect me to break World Records like the last olympic cycle and if I fail to live up to their expectations they will talk of how I've changed or how I've become lazy or even possibly less motivated than the last olympic cycle and constantly compare me to my past self when I was hungry for PyeonyChang. And that would be annoying and drag me down mentally. And being compared to my past self when I hadn't yet achieved a 2 peat OGM is unrealistic in many ways. 

4. I want to compete and skate for the sake of skating rather than being forced to skate to go to Beijing by public demand or pressure. 

5. I do not want to end my career on a bad note, and I want to retire when I am at the top, and because I am uncertain about the future, I will not make judgements so early.

Kind of obvious but imagining why he keeps saying "I don't know" to Beijing from day one made me appreciate yuzu that he is soo witty and quick on his feet. He is so wise. I love him more for that reason haha. 

46 minutes ago, robin said:

You are confusing something here. It is one thing to get back your existing quads you have been jumping for years and a whoooole other thing to learn a new quad let alone a quad axel or quint. Those are incomparable 

I was fully aware that recovering something already mastered is not the same as entering unknown territory.  My point was that Yuzu in his 'imaging' maintained his mental mastery of his quads during the enforced period off the ice and was thus able to recover two of them for PC in an amazingly short time.  What I meant was that the same abilities that went into his quick recovery of two of his quads and making them suitable for competition encompasses also the ability to envisage things as yet unattained.  Also, we do not know how effective the methods Yuzu is devising utilizing things he's learning at university to mathematically describe the elements of a jump might enable him to more quickly enter unknown territory and master it.  I think all of us here recognize that Yuzu is different from other skaters when it comes to expanding his skills in that he seems quite willing to adapt entirely new strategies when trying to master some aspect of his skating, as witnessed by his decision to seek out Brian to train him.  It is dangerous to think that Yuzu in his efforts to improve his skating and expand his repertoire works in the same way that other skaters work and thus I think it is dangerous to presume that the amount of time that other skaters require to master a new element applies to Yuzu also.  He doesn't run with the common herd.  That's why he's Yuzu.

But then I heard other opinons just now in other sites.

They say if Yuzu told the media he wants to land 4A, then he has been practicing for many years and is very very close to landing it in competitions. They say yuzu never speaks out unless he is confident about something. Which means he doesn't really need 2 seasons to land 4A because it has already come to a finished state in secret. 

Just posting what they said. What do you guys think of this theory?

11 minutes ago, micaelis said:

Also, we do not know how effective the methods Yuzu is devising utilizing things he's learning at university to mathematically describe the elements of a jump might enable him to more quickly enter unknown territory and master it.  

For all his talent, Yuzuru Hanyu has limits; he's a human being. On top of that, his health is an aditional limiter.

You are also severely underestimating the 4A. It is, I repeat, a dangerous, highly difficult jump. Even for him, it's a matter of many months of hard work, concentrating on that jump. And he has more to do than just that, as he's in the middle of rehab and hasn't even touched 3 of his jumps due to his leg. So it's a complex situation and currently, all indicators are it'll take time. It won't take 4 seasons but it won't be a quick thing either. It'll take a while.

I'd like to think I'm not conservative in my estimates, after all I kept insisting the 4Lz was coming last season but this time, it's a different situation. Like I said, I do see him YOLO-ing the thing in the 2nd half of 2018/19 but serious, consistent inclusion really seems more realistic for 2019/20.

@cinemacoconut no, it's wishful thinking. The 4A is very new, like last off-season new.

I wish sometimes Yuzu hadn’t mentioned 4A, as many people think it’s settled that he’ll soon land one. Let him first recover, for crying out loud - his landing foot was badly injured this year! He’s got to have an incentive for himself to go on for, but it’s not as if we can expect him to start jumping 4A the first day he emerges onto the ice.