General Yuzuru Chat

6 hours ago, OonsieHui said:

Found a new favourite photo from the sendai parade!! He just looks so... soft and handsome and princely and honestly like he just stepped out of a manga. HOW IS HE REAL?? :10636614:

:Poohgaveup::squishedPooh::dpooh:  he is not a human being, it's literally not possible

22 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I....am going to give them the benefit of the doubt that two guys being touchy (i.e. that emoji) doesn't imply they must be gay........especially when they're not........

Nah, they're definitely capitalizing on the shipping. As one of my favourite youtubers, MacDoesIt, says: "all for that gay promo". :LOL:

That's really on the far side of annoying/rude/misleading... The Olympic Channel lately has been really pushing it wrt using him as clickbait. Especially since there seems to be pushback from skaters towards people being really aggressively shipping them on social media lately. (think this weekend and the insta picture removals)

3 minutes ago, skateIT said:

That's really on the far side of annoying/rude/misleading... The Olympic Channel lately has been really pushing it wrt using him as clickbait. Especially since there seems to be pushback from skaters towards people being really aggressively shipping them on social media lately. (think this weekend and the insta picture removals)

what happened?

So, not Yuzu related but Toronto seems to have experienced a possible *event* with a van deliberately mowing down people on Yonge street ( the major street) .. 9 dead, 16 injured so far...  could be terror... beautiful day today and some idiot decides to do this.... 

33 minutes ago, liv said:

So, not Yuzu related but Toronto seems to have experienced a possible *event* with a van deliberately mowing down people on Yonge street ( the major street) .. 9 dead, 16 injured so far...  could be terror... beautiful day today and some idiot decides to do this.... 

How horrible! Stay safe, Liv! 

52 minutes ago, liv said:

:( I looked up the news articles. its such a horrible thing to happen.... my condolences to everyone affected, but especially if any satellite on this Planet is affected. 

I'm using this 'pause' in the action, with one season behind us, capped by Yuzu's essay in putting together an ice show, showing the world yet another facet of his genius, and another very unknown season facing us to start addressing the question of what comes next.  I think now many of us are going to start looking at what is coming up.  Most immediately, is Yuzu going to do any ice shows this summer?  I doubt it.  He's made his ice show statement for the year.  As much as he likes ice shows I think his focus is on the upcoming season, getting a 4A into place and constructing two wholly new programs.  Since the season coming up is in many respects the beginning of a new chapter in Yuzu's life, I doubt he's going to resurrect any programs from the past.  The ice show was, in my opinion, Yuzu's assessment of where he's been.  His new programs will tell us where he wants to go and I think the major speculation we at the Planet are going to be doing over the summer is largely going to be about what those programs will be. 

The thing is with Yuzu one can't pigeonhole him as far as his programs, since he is so versatile as far as the style of music he uses and the nature of his choreography.  Short programs, for instance, we have PW and LGC on one side and Chopin on the other.  The same with FS, with the highly dramatic POTO at one extreme and the understated serenity of HL at the other.  I would not be surprised if Yuzu has not already decided his music and even done a general layout of the programs to go with the music.  All that time off the ice must have been frustrating to him and I have a suspicion he might have turned to mapping out this coming season as a break from the concentrated imaging he was using to preserve this last season's content until he could once again attack them in actuality.

Yuzu's made it plain that he intends to skate as much as he can this next season and I have posted in the past how I think his objective will be to finish unfinished business from last season - starting a new string of GPF victories, reclaiming the Japanese crown, finally getting a gold at 4CC and making it one more world championship to add to his two (and maybe that elusive gold at Skate Canada).  I really don't think he's made a decision about Beijing, unlike his declaration of going after PC's gold barely after he'd dismounted the podium at Sochi.  The injury has necessitated that Yuzu do some hard thinking about where he is and where he wants to go.  It reminded him that he is still vulnerable to the vicissitudes of fortune.  This last weekend, with the parade and the show the weekend before were his concluding of what has occurred since Sochi.

I think we are seeing a pattern in Yuzu's biography starting to show itself, one in which he is faced with some crisis in his life and uses that crisis to power him to new triumphs.  The earthquake resulted in his bronze at Worlds the next season and his move to Toronto and ultimately his first GPF, OG and WC wins.  The next crisis, the crash in Shanghai, resulted in his brilliant skate at the 2014 GPF and those two legendary competitions (NHK and GPF) the following season, where thoughts of him as the GOAT began to become credible, and then his miraculous comeback at Helsinki.  The latest crisis, the injury, resulted initially in his 2nd OG, his unique experiment with the structure of ice shows and his declaration as to what seems to be his two new preoccupations concerning his future competing - acquisition of a 4A and his decision to design his programs to achieve perfection rather than points.  He hasn't said so but I have a suspicion that Yuzu's goal now is not an elevated TES but rather a PCS that comes as close as possible to a perfect 100.  He is the only skater around now who has an even remotely realistic chance of achieving that mythical mark.

The thing is that the new rules really make Yuzu's new strategy one that can result in consistent wins for him.  The era of quads, at least their numerical expansion, is now over.  Four quads in a FS is now the maximum unless someone comes up with a quad/quad combination.  If anybody does that, it will be Yuzu, who has the speed and height to accomplish that.  One should not dismiss the possibility of a quint, also.  Again, Yuzu would seem to me to be the best candidate for being the first to achieve it, although base values haven't been assigned yet to quint jumps.  I have a feeling that there is pressure to hold back on doing so until there is feedback on how the new rules have changed the competitive dynamics.  Why open up a whole new can of worms when things still haven't settled down on the quad issue.

The new landscape at TCC now is an issue which we at the Planet will be wanting to address.  Cha is now becoming an integral part of the TCC scene, a new member of the elite squad replacing Javi.  Stephen Gogolev now moves up into the elites there also, beginning to compete on the junior level, though we should not forget that in Canadian only competitions he is now skating at senior level.  His scores last season were sufficient to have qualified him for senior Worlds.  The possible entry of Boyang makes things really interesting and we have already done a lot of speculating about that, although most of us are waiting for a formal announcement and detailing of the nature of that move, if it occurs.  All in all, because of the very large number of unknowns I think this coming off-season will definitely end up making this the summer of our discontent.