General Yuzuru Chat

21 minutes ago, Xen said:

The problem is this, most commentators in my opinion, minus Angelo and Max (our favorite Italian uncles) really don't understand the technical aspects of figure skating. And whether it's because they don't understand it, or they have the words edited out, they tend to not comment on the quality of the jumps.  So to a degree, I do *personally* view many other journalists on the sport as "mercenary"- out for clicks and what would get sold quickly in their target audience. Sadly for some, it is catering to the US media-and sadly some of that catering is against Yuzu (because he isn't the underdog narrative that US media likes as a good story). 

For example, in the article it's never mentioned what Yuzu's jump quality is. They casually forget to mention that despite easier jumps, Yuzuru has hands down, the highest GOE marks of the men. And that it's partially due to his giant PCS and GOE advantage that many younger guys are just tacking on quads, attempting to use the brute force of BV in the hopes that a "imperfect" Yuzu can be beaten. However, Yuzu skated a clean short, with +3 GOEs on plenty of jumps, and still received that for jumps even in the long. Ugh, I really want to re-write this article. >_<

Add some of the Japanese commentators to the list with Max and Angelo, although they tend to be nicer and don't say everything. Yude from GS translated Nobu and his co-commentator during one of Shoma's program once and it actually surprised me that Nobu noted some possible URs in Shoma's program that he said might or might not be called. The translation largely went unnoticed in that thread (of course) but Nobu has guts.

21 minutes ago, Xen said:

Well I think throughout the article, there are just some subtle undermining of stuff said by the coaches. Also, look at the opening:

See, if I were a fan, I can still go neutral, but put it a bit differently:

"The Japanese star has always longed to be on the cutting edge of figure skating, and is considered by many coaches and commentators alike,  to be one of the leaders of the quadruple jump revolution that swept the sport during the four years following his first Olympic gold medal in 2014. "

There is a bit of a tonal difference. Quite often, the FS media from ice network when writing about Yuzu, sounds like speech you'd get from diplomats, trying to be very very diplomatic and round-about in telling you why you are wrong and "we" are royally pissed off. 

Edit: 

One of these days, I need to start a side project where I re-write articles and actually make them complimentary and neutral at the same time. Ugh...positive diplo-speech to put it mildly. 

Thank you for your response. You're right. I also come off icenetwork articles (and to be frank, most of the media coverage here in the US) feeling slightly disgruntled. I try (I really really try) to be fair to journalists or other skating fans who aren't as effusive in their love for Yuzu as I am, but who am I kidding. Yuzu is like a crack den with no windows and no doors. 

1 minute ago, Forcefield said:

Add some of the Japanese commentators to the list with Max and Angelo, although they tend to be nicer and don't say everything. Yude from GS translated Nobu and his co-commentator during one of Shoma's program once and it actually surprised me that Nobu noted some possible URs in Shoma's program that he said might or might be called. The translation largely went unnoticed in that thread (of course) but Nobu has guts.

I think I should go back and correct "armchair journalists"-because that might be closer to what Wong and Hersh are. 

But Max/Angelo, some of the BESP commentators, and a decent chunk of the Japanese ones are knowledgeable. North American is a bit hit and miss. I usually think CBC and Kurt were okay, but some of their comments this year do rub me wrong (the bias is obvious)- though in general, I think CBC is usually effusive about everyone. NBC usually rubs me wrong  for singles (minus Ryan Bradley, don't remember if Jeremy Abbott commented before).

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, singermelodie1 said:

I wonder if yuzuru knows about all theses shippings because I hope de doesn't get it.

Is it only international fans that do it or do Japanese fans ship too?

isn't shipping like... born in Japan? At least from what I heard, Yaoi has a really really long traditon, but that's fiction. I can't say much about irl shipping.

2 minutes ago, yuzuonice said:
  Reveal hidden contents

isn't shipping like... born in Japan? At least from what I heard, Yaoi has a really really long traditon, but that's fiction. I can't say much about irl shipping.

Spoiler

Shipping was done a long time ago. The ancients shipped stuff too, ever since we realized we needed a boat to get stuff across water, and figured out how to configure a boat.

6 minutes ago, yuzuonice said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

I think it was shared here or maybe somewhere but it was on a FS forum about some lady who was into Kabuki(?) where males also take on female roles, and there's a whole shipping culture with it.

13 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

Add some of the Japanese commentators to the list with Max and Angelo, although they tend to be nicer and don't say everything. Yude from GS translated Nobu and his co-commentator during one of Shoma's program once and it actually surprised me that Nobu noted some possible URs in Shoma's program that he said might or might not be called. The translation largely went unnoticed in that thread (of course) but Nobu has guts.

Do you happen  to know if there is also a translated transcript of Nobu commenting on any of Yuzu's programs? I've always been curious how he'd comment on them.

And to reel back to the initial conversation: I find it sad and telling that I rely more on well informed and more neutral tumblr (like Alice's) then journalistic pieces.

Which is a shame because I enjoy the program so much more with good commentators like Max and Angelo because they help me understand the elements better and point out all the little things I would otherwise miss.

12 minutes ago, singermelodie1 said:

I wonder if yuzuru knows about all theses shippings because I hope de doesn't get it.

Is it only international fans that do it or do Japanese fans ship too?

5 minutes ago, yuzuonice said:
  Reveal hidden contents

3 minutes ago, Xen said:
  Hide contents

Shipping was done a long time ago. The ancients shipped stuff too, ever since we realized we needed a boat to get stuff across water, and figured out how to configure a boat.

Yes we are guilty to a certain extent for building so many ships to sail across the ocean because we are surrounded by it!

Spoiler

But I'd like to say there are some kinds of rules among those 'shippers' when it comes to shipping real people.

I personally do not like shipping with real people involved and it seems many people try to be discreet if they dare taking that path. 

I don't think this topic is suitable for general chat so I apologise if I started in the first place :oops:

1 hour ago, singermelodie1 said:

Can he wear a kimono to the emperor's garden party?

I'm actually mentally taking bets on whether he would wear a kimono or a suit to the party... 

Also mentally taking bets on whether they'll sit him next to Yoshiharu Habu (羽生善治)...

(He is a legend at the game of shogi, and the kanji in his name is the same as the kanji used to spell Hanyu)...

7 minutes ago, Naonica said:

Do you happen  to know if there is also a translated transcript of Nobu commenting on any of Yuzu's programs? I've always been curious how he'd comment on them.

And to reel back to the initial conversation: I find it sad and telling that I rely more on well informed and more neutral tumblr (like Alice's) then journalistic pieces.

Which is a shame because I enjoy the program so much more with good commentators like Max and Angelo because they help me understand the elements better and point out all the little things I would otherwise miss.

Unfortunately, no. I would actually like to get my hand on that as well!

I feel the same. So many things gets my blood boiling in FS, it's a wonder simply one alien king manages to make me stick around.