General Yuzuru Chat

I also really hope that Yuzu doesn't get backlash from fans of other Japanese skaters for this line:

"as Hanyu has been largely responsible for making Japan into the world's most passionate country about figure skating."

. . . . . Japan has been figure skating crazy for a long time. way before Hanyu came on the scene. He's currently the most popular figure skater by far in recent memory, but my understanding is Japan has always been figure skating crazy, and that within Japan Hanyu stands on the shoulders of giants before him in the sport like Daisuke, Shizuka etc

8 minutes ago, Xen said:

One of these days, I need to start a side project where I re-write articles and actually make them complimentary and neutral at the same time. Ugh...positive diplo-speech to put it mildly. 

Not "one of these days"!

Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it!!!

ETA: I forgot the bribe incentive. What would you like? Food? Gems? Zu's merch? Skating boots? Blades? Left arm? Right foot? Either kidney?

33 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

We obviously can't know what he's REALLY thinking, and in the end this is all just speculation, but I sometimes wonder whether he's just writing what he thinks will get likes, regardless of his own personal opinion (which I lean more towards thinking are not favourable towards Yuzu). Because he frankly just doesn't stay consistent. 

I really don't like him

The problem is this, some of these writers are people who are "armchair commentators and journalists"-and usually don't understand the technical aspects of figure skating. Minus Angelo and Max (our favorite Italian uncles), most of these commentator/journalist mix guys really don't understand at times (if they don't have an FS background), nor comment on the technical aspects of figure skating. And whether it's because they don't understand it, or they have the words edited out, most journalists tend to not comment on the quality of the jumps. So to a degree, I do *personally* view many other journalists on the sport as "mercenary"- out for clicks and what would get sold quickly in their target audience. Sadly for some, it is catering to the US media-and sadly some of that catering is against Yuzu (because he isn't the underdog narrative that US media likes as a good story). 

For example, in the article it's never mentioned what Yuzu's jump quality is. They casually forget to mention that despite easier jumps, Yuzuru has hands down, the highest GOE marks of the men. And that it's partially due to his giant PCS and GOE advantage that many younger guys are just tacking on quads, attempting to use the brute force of BV in the hopes that a "imperfect" Yuzu can be beaten. However, Yuzu skated a clean short, with +3 GOEs on plenty of jumps, and still received that for jumps even in the long. Ugh, I really want to re-write this article. >_<

1 minute ago, Xen said:

Ugh, I really want to re-write this article. >_<

Please do. and then send it back to him. with a lovely message on how he's welcome and you've helped him to say all the things he clearly mistakenly forgot to include. 

2 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

They should just let FS be in the summer Games, really. I mean, it's not like you have to stand around waiting for it to be cold enough for lakes to freeze anymore. 

It won't happen even though early in the last century FS was part of the summer games.  The thing is that figure skating is one of the two glamor sports at the winter games, the other being alpine skiing.  Those are the sports that draw the best ratings and the best crowds.  I would also add hockey, but it's appeal is limited primarily to the countries that are powerhouses there.  Look at PC.  Figure skating was sold out and while Yuzu's appeal accounts for part of that sellout and there might have been some spillover, figure skating as a whole is a high profile winter sport that maintains that position through the off-season with ice shows, using them to build up interest for the oncoming season.  He put the sport into even more of a spotlight than it normally would have as one of the glamor sports. 

The other reason it won't happen is that the summer games have two major judging sports (the ones that require judging rather than specific measurement, like who arrived at the finish first and who jumped the highest, that sort of thing), gymnastics and diving.  They don't want another one.  I think the gymnastics people would object more than the diving establishment, particularly since the gymnastics activities have enlarged significantly beyond the discipline now called 'artistic gymnastics'.  Rhythmic gymnastics has been around for a while, but now trampoline is involved and tumbling, acrobatics and even aerobic gymnastics have gotten into the act.  The summer people don't want yet another type of gymnastics (that's what figure skating is, don't forget) to make things even more confusing.  All those new gymnastics disciplines are jostling for position and particularly the artistic gymnastics people don't want another kid on the block, particularly a kid with a history of Olympic involvement that goes back a century and has a large fanbase that also goes back that far.

So, forget about such a switch taking place.  Figure skating won't move into the summer games.  There are too many established interests who can be expected to put up a great deal of resistance to making such a change.

1 minute ago, yuzuonice said:

do they know that they used the gay emoji?  :runaway:

:headdesk2:

Javi's GF has something to tell them, right? Dude, Oly channel, did you seriously have to join the shipping business? I heard that it's not profitable, and generally an illusion.