General Yuzuru Chat

I noticed that Phil walked back Brian's quote about Yuzu continuing to the 2022 Olympics though. Now it's just he's "going to continue." I'm relieved actually. No need to put that kind of pressure on the poor guy right now. 

2 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

Don't you start! I can almost imagine him YT'ing Yuzu medley with squishy pooh pillow in his arms...:8:

Yuzuru Hanyu? I don't know who you're talking about, I don't care about this guy, I- *trips* *thousands of photos of Yuzu with Pooh spill from pockets* fuck those aren’t mine i swear I’m just holding them for a friend- *slips on a pile of Poohs* *more pictures fall out as he falls to his knees, desperately trying to pick them up* hang on a sec jUst LISTEN 

14 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

I get mixed signals from this guy every time I read his articles...maybe the case that his head says NO but his heart says YES YES YES...?

Spoiler

*cough*

Oh no, you missed the days when we were writing psycho-melo drama about a certain young lady called Philadora, who has pining for a certain young man from a competing rival federation clan. And secretly stashes away loads of clear files and magazines in a little shrine. It was long ago written in a play, by a guy whose name I forgot. But heard it was as dramatic as Romeo and Juliet. =D

*cough*

No, the mixed signals is that I think Phil is just very perfunctory in his praises. Either he has been edited, or he writes a certain way to appear balanced, even if he likes or dislikes Yuzu personally, he has to appear to maintain neutrality. So his article, while praising Yuzu, a lot of the praises are just more common, routine compliments and descriptions by now. Not a whole lot of it is really something you'd get from an actual heartfelt fan. 

2 minutes ago, Xen said:
  Reveal hidden contents

*cough*

Oh no, you missed the days when we were writing psycho-melo drama about a certain young lady called Philadora, who has pining for a certain young man from a competing rival federation clan. And secretly stashes away loads of clear files and magazines in a little shrine. It was long ago written in a play, by a guy whose name I forgot. But heard it was as dramatic as Romeo and Juliet. =D

*cough*

No, the mixed signals is that I think Phil is just very perfunctory in his praises. Either he has been edited, or he writes a certain way to appear balanced, even if he likes or dislikes Yuzu personally, he has to appear to maintain neutrality. So his article, while praising Yuzu, a lot of the praises are just more common, routine compliments and descriptions by now. Not a whole lot of it is really something you'd get from an actual heartfelt fan. 

Totally agree with this. I think Phil is trying to appear balanced and not come off as a superfan. I saw that with his GOAT/maybeGOAT articles before and after the Olympics. It's clear he thinks Yuzu is GOAT but wants to present different perspectives. Are there other reasons why people are skeptical about Phil besides the perception that he moved the goal posts on Yuzu after the second OWG? 

7 minutes ago, Xen said:

The impression I get from his way of writing is he's trying to balance the way the articles goes and ended up missing the real point.  I always get the feeling like eating food that looks like a do-nut but it's actually a dim sim. Sweet or savoury I don't mind either way but I need to know what I'm eating!

1 час назад, ralucutzagy сказал:

Very nice article about Yuzu! Wow, Icenetwork, this is unexpected, tbh!

Quote: “If that attitude leads him to run into trouble again, so be it.” 

He needn’t have written this, imho.

6 minutes ago, k8y said:

Totally agree with this. I think Phil is trying to appear balanced and not come off as a superfan. I saw that with his GOAT/maybeGOAT articles before and after the Olympics. It's clear he thinks Yuzu is GOAT but wants to present different perspectives. Are there other reasons why people are skeptical about Phil besides the perception that he moved the goal posts on Yuzu after the second OWG? 

Well I think throughout the article, there are just some subtle undermining of stuff said by the coaches. Also, look at the opening:

The Japanese star has always longed to be on the cutting edge of figure skating, to be one of the leaders in the quadruple jump revolution that swept the sport during the four years that followed his first Olympic gold medal in 2014.

See, if I were a fan, I can still go neutral, but put it a bit differently:

"The Japanese star has always longed to be on the cutting edge of figure skating, and is considered by many coaches and commentators alike,  to be one of the leaders of the quadruple jump revolution that swept the sport during the four years following his first Olympic gold medal in 2014. "

There is a bit of a tonal difference. Quite often, the FS media from ice network when writing about Yuzu, sounds like speech you'd get from diplomats, trying to be very very diplomatic and round-about in telling you why you are wrong and "we" are royally pissed off. 

Edit: 

One of these days, I need to start a side project where I re-write articles and actually make them complimentary and neutral at the same time. Ugh...positive diplo-speech to put it mildly. 

1 minute ago, Xen said:

Well I think throughout the article, there are just some subtle undermining of stuff said by the coaches. Also, look at the opening:

See, if I were a fan, I can still go neutral, but put it a bit differently:

"The Japanese star has always longed to be on the cutting edge of figure skating, and is considered by some to be one of the leaders of the quadruple jump revolution that swept the sport during the four years following his first Olympic gold medal in 2014. "

There is a bit of a tonal difference. Quite often, the FS media from ice network when writing about Yuzu, sounds like speech you'd get from diplomats, trying to be very very diplomatic and round-about in telling you why you are wrong and "we" are royally pissed off. 

Yes, the longed to be sounds like he's struggling and he's definitely not or he will not be Olympic champion.

32 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

I get mixed signals from this guy every time I read his articles...maybe the case that his head says NO but his heart says YES YES YES...?

We obviously can't know what he's REALLY thinking, and in the end this is all just speculation, but I sometimes wonder whether he's just writing what he thinks will get likes, regardless of his own personal opinion (which I lean more towards thinking are not favourable towards Yuzu). Because he frankly just doesn't stay consistent. 

I really don't like him

1 hour ago, ralucutzagy said:

Very nice article about Yuzu! Wow, Icenetwork, this is unexpected, tbh!

"He was doing programs by then with the (quad) lutz and the loop and the sal(chow) and two toes (toe loops), and I thought it was too soon," he continued. "When I look back, it was, 'Thank goodness we had all that training in the bank.'"

:peekapooh:

bruh im just scared what he'll bring next season in the future (any time really)  because tbh, we know he already got those quads under his belts