General Yuzuru Chat

9 時間前, micaelisさんが言いました:

Yuzu's athletic accomplishments are his, but the Yuzu phenomenon is the result of his fan's enthusiasm, an enthusiasm that is virtually unequalled in the annals of athletics (at least non-team athletics).   His fandom has made him highly attractive to advertisers and enabled him to face life without substantial financial worries.  He's not the sort of person who wants to cash in for everything he can get, like Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan, but I'm sure he has chosen carefully those he endorses and has pursued those because it also enables his family to live in a way it probably would not have otherwise, particularly since because of the earthquake he is fully aware how life is full of unexpected roadblocks and what seem to be sunny times can be suddenly beset by tempests (ie, the recent injury).  What he has achieved on the ice is due entirely to his efforts, his inborn talents, his intelligence and his self-discipline but Yuzu is, I'm sure, fully aware that all those things off the ice are because his fans have put him in such a light that others are willing to pay him so their products and services can share that light.  That is, unfortunately, how athletics at the world-class level work.  Yuzu has the most bankable image of anybody in non-team sports right now and he's wisely used it in such a way as not to compromise his integrity but he's also aware that his position is largely the product of his fans enthusiasm.  If there wasn't that fervent fandom out there the advertisers would not be approaching him in such numbers, at least not to the extent they do, an extent which, I'm fairly confident to say, allows him to pick and choose those whose name he'll allow to be associated with his.  So events like that which we've just witnessed are Yuzu's way of acknowledging his debt to his fans.  Yuzu's achievements as a skater are not compromised by his admission that he owes much to his fans.  If nothing else, his acknowledging that is all the more justification for his followers' devotion, a  testament to his innate humility.  So don't think I'm belittling Yuzu in any way, nor think I feel his fans own him.  I'm not and they don't.  As a skater he justifies his fans' devotion (including my own); as a superstar he recognizes that his stature, while built on the foundation of his athletic success has reached the heights it has because of his fans, so a day like we've seen this weekend is one of the ways he's able to acknowledge them and say 'arigatou'.

I still don't see how he owes us anything though. He's not a phenomenon because he chose to be marketed that way in the hopes that people would choose to buy what he's selling. He's a phenomenon because he is an awe-inspiring athlete set to conquer himself and, in the process, the world to ultimately become a symbol of human strength, triumph and hope. As humans, we can't help but see that and support it because how can we not? Sure our support fuels him and blah blah blah but in the end, he had triumphed against himself and vast amounts of other odds even at a time when they were more people against him than for him. So how can you not be attracted like a moth to a flame in the face of all that?

Like the flame, he just does what he does and burns bright. And if you are attracted to bright things, you will naturally gravitate towards it, not because you want to give something to it, but because you want what it can give you. And you may feel inclined to keep it alive regardless of whether it needs intervention to stay that way because you don't want to lose the brightness, warmth and hope it gives you. All the while, the flame just is. It owes us nothing. If it wants to be thankful to us for its own reasons, that's fine. And while I think it makes the flame more admirable and wonderful than it already is, I don't for a second think it owes us what it feels.

People needed hope. He became that hope. The gratitude people should be feeling for his very existence should eclipse the one he has for the support he got because this support? It's something we needed to give anyway. Because we can't help but hope and we can't stop ourselves from admiring real strength, as it is something that we ourselves can draw strength from. But it's not everyday someone can accept it all and bear the immense weight of it with grace the way he did.

I'm not saying you're wrong, though. Because I'm sure he himself probably thinks that way. I'm just saying I don't feel the same same you do, as a fan.

Sorry for the spot of seriousness. You can all go back to the regular scheduled program now.

5 hours ago, cirelle said:

:5a7ce9d358326_offtopic1: Aaaaaaaaaaaaah, guys, guys, GUYS, my CiONTU clear files arrived and they are GLORIOUS! I’m so squishy. :embSwan:  

Now if only customs could hurry up and processes my parade t-shirt... 

Yay! Also: do you know what he is saying in your GIF?

9 minutes ago, Erin said:

Can someone please tell me why the girl was crying? And if anyone has a better quality video? Much appreciated. :snonegai: 

She was crying out of happiness! xDDD

"Why are you crying?"

"I'm happy I got to meet him!"
"Did you get to see him up close?"
"I only saw is face clearly"
"How was Yuzuru, seeing him?"
"He was so cool!" 

3 hours ago, yuzupon said:

Wait, wait, that's how you pronounce ANA? I've always said it (err, in my head, at least) like how Elsa calls Anna from Frozen.

I pronounce it that way as well.

Also, everytime i see Ci i still don't see a smiley i just read it as Sí lol, y'all agree to everything in my eyes

8 minutes ago, tafattsbarn said:

I pronounce it that way as well.

Also, everytime i see Ci i still don't see a smiley i just read it as Sí lol, y'all agree to everything in my eyes

*high five

I always read Ci the same way you'd pronounce "Chin" without the 'n'. 

7 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

She was crying out of happiness! xDDD

"Why are you crying?"

"I'm happy I got to meet him!"
"Did you get to see him up close?"
"I only saw is face clearly"
"How was Yuzuru, seeing him?"
"He was so cool!" 

:thanks: 

Wow, future fanyu! And here I am, still trying to brainwash convince my 13yo niece into becoming a fanyu. Don't judge me, I just want the legacy to continue, ok?  :winky: