General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, MrPudding said:

That makes me sad.  That means it'll probably be just a small blurb with a picture.

Funny thing is that I was just reading the 2017 list a couple days ago and wondering how someone like Eugenie Bouchard got on there but not any figure skaters but I figured it was because Yuzu doesn't have social media and a large part of the ranking is based off of followers.  I suppose we should be happy that he's at least getting recognized in the US now

hi guys. this is off topic but i just really want to ask this to understand it more. please pardon my ignorance hehe. what is this 'pointing of the toe'? and the thing abt yuzu not pointing his toe? and how important is it? if someone can explain it to me, million thanks!! XD

6 minutes ago, ainjxx said:

hi guys. this is off topic but i just really want to ask this to understand it more. please pardon my ignorance hehe. what is this 'pointing of the toe'? and the thing abt yuzu not pointing his toe? and how important is it? if someone can explain it to me, million thanks!! XD

huh what?

I expect it would be very tough to point toes in skates. I've never heard of this? Pointing the toes is a way of extending your line gracefully in dance, and having graceful lines is part of artistic movement in figure skating, too, but I've never actually heard of anybody expecting skaters to point their toes while wearing those boots. And it's not like men have long spirals, blades are usually on the ice most of the time, so... I don't know?

What skaters actually point their toes? 

Or is this about the toe pick in toe jumps? I've never heard any criticism of Yuzu's toe pick position in jumps, he never uses the whole blade, and he only very rarely uses more than the toe pick.

No idea what this is about.

23 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

huh what?

I expect it would be very tough to point toes in skates. I've never heard of this? Pointing the toes is a way of extending your line gracefully in dance, and having graceful lines is part of artistic movement in figure skating, too, but I've never actually heard of anybody expecting skaters to point their toes while wearing those boots. And it's not like men have long spirals, blades are usually on the ice most of the time, so... I don't know?

Or is this about the toe pick in toe jumps? I've never heard any criticism of Yuzu's toe pick position in jumps, he never uses the whole blade, and he only very rarely uses more than the toe pick.

tsl always mention it. also with their interview with tracy wilson. they asked tracy if they are addressing that issue and if it's because of his edea skates. sorry idk it either 😓

As much as I seem to know, pointing toe is something even Yuna had been criticized about  of NOT doing it, eventhough she had beautiful lines. David Wilson mentioned it in an interview with TSL quoting a talk with Yuna and pointing out that if she did not do it, he, David, would be punished, or something... By the way, the TSL constantly kept criticising Yuzuru for.

26 minutes ago, ainjxx said:

You mean, this:

On 02/05/2017 at 12:43 AM, tournesols said:

this is old but look at that toe! is he pointing it? :smile:

C-eLPtVUAAAJ0lP.jpg

But basically, it's that old and tiresome talk about how skating must be as balletic as possible.

If I recall correctly, Sasha Cohen used to be famous for being able to do that. I personally can't tell. Also, how on earth are skaters expected to do that while on skating boots?

If anyone can point to me where in ISU official document I can find this thing, I'd concur. Until then, :shrug:

13 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

huh what?

I'm a huge newbie (so please correct me if I'm wrong fellow satellites!) but from what one of the coaches at my rink told me, 'pointing your toes' in skates means to plantar flex the foot i.e. toes should be bent away rather than towards you. 

TSL has talked about it a lot. Yuna Kim never pointed her toes and it's something David Wilson still can't live down :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: I'll see if I can find some example photos to embed later as I'm on my phone right now.