General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, Lenylan said:

Why it has to be Yuzu, always?.  She perfectly could decide it by herself, but whatever it's the reason it's none of our business.

Actually, I believe that's the very point. I think they spoke about how any and every time famous girls take photos with him, people start gossiping and shipping and it leads to the sort of heartache in the tabloids that made him want to die. After what he said at CiONTU, I think she's trying to be supportive of him by giving people less cause for starting this crap in the first place. We don't need to know about his relationships anyway. I hope he has whatever physical relationship he wants with whomever he loves and we never hear a word about.

Now that the parade is over a few scattered thoughts:

Could any of the other Japanese skaters have gone through this with the evident good spirits and spontaneity Yuzu showed as he was moving slowly down the street, having to keep waving and waving and waving?

Where does he put all the stuff he receives at various ceremonies, not only here but in all the other events he's gone through during the course of his career?

I'm wondering where his family is during all this.  Were they placed in some vantage point where they could watch the proceedings and yet remain unidentified, continuing to preserve their privacy, as they have done though all the years of Yuzu's moving from earnest young skater through stardom, superstardom and now iconic status?

Is Yuzu's family still living in the house they had when Yuzu was growing up and before moving to Toronto?  With Yuzu's income now I'm sure they could be living in a place not necessarily more luxurious (although that would be possible but I don't think that would be what they want) but a place which would be more amenable to the security needs they now have, particularly when Yuzu is at home?

What kind of staff does he employ to deal with all the public responsibilities he's acquired with his rise in prominence and popularity?  He can't handle that stuff himself and much of this is well beyond the responsibilities of Brian and TCC, since this is exclusively Yuzu's concern and not TCC's.

Some final observations - Yuzu is so very special because he's one of those rare public figures who knows he owes his position to the adoration of the public.  Thus he's ready to go through a ceremony like the parade realizing that this is part of what's required.  His fans have awarded him applause and hundreds of Poohs over the years and it's ceremonies like this where he gets to thank them.  I know some might think that it's parades like this where they are thanking him but that's not the case.  It's the myriad little things that those who not only have seen him in person during competition with their applause but also those who have made up paper swans for him, have put messages at shrines, have spread the word about him, have given portions of their lives to see him succeed and cheer him on.  The parade we've just seen is Yuzu thanking them.  Many might not see it that way but I do and I'm certain Yuzu does, also.  After all, that's what makes Yuzu Yuzu and that's what make him so special.  The parade is one great and graceful bow sent in all directions and all over the world, Yuzu's way of saying 'arigatou'.

50 minutes ago, Toni said:

Actually, I believe that's the very point. I think they spoke about how any and every time famous girls take photos with him, people start gossiping and shipping and it leads to the sort of heartache in the tabloids that made him want to die. After what he said at CiONTU, I think she's trying to be supportive of him by giving people less cause for starting this crap in the first place. We don't need to know about his relationships anyway. [Admin edit]

Spoiler

Indeed, when I watched his Gala fancams on youtube, there must be tons of people who crazily ship him with Evgenia ( not to mention tumblr). Can't they see their relationship as a cute friendship? 

44 minutes ago, wpisces said:
  Hide contents

Indeed, when I watched his Gala fancams on youtube, there must be tons of people who crazily ship him with Evgenia ( not to mention tumblr). Can't they see their relationship as a cute friendship? 

Exactly. Even if it WERE more than friendship, that's none of our business, unless they're open about it. I'm not even going to comment on this topic anymore, since I think it's absolutely obvious that EVERYONE deserves their privacy.

1 hour ago, Toni said:

Actually, I believe that's the very point. I think they spoke about how any and every time famous girls take photos with him, people start gossiping and shipping and it leads to the sort of heartache in the tabloids that made him want to die. After what he said at CiONTU, I think she's trying to be supportive of him by giving people less cause for starting this crap in the first place. We don't need to know about his relationships anyway. I hope he has whatever physical relationship he wants with whomever he loves and we never hear a word about.

Spoiler

She unfollowed all Yuzu fan accounts today, so all speculation or rumor of their relationship officially ends and dies as of today. There won't be anymore so we will never have to worry. 

5 hours ago, Lilona said:

O MY GOD!!! I SAW BRIAN ORSER!! HE GAVE ME AUTOGRAPH AND I THANKED HIM FOR YUZU AND JAVI. AND ASKED HIM TO TAKE CARE OF BOYANG. HE LAUGHED. I'm almost died and was total fangirl but I don't care...

Oh my god, you're lucky to run into him like this (: 

2 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

I promised, and I deliver: Yuzuru Laughing compilation from Continues with Wings (hurry up before Asahi takes it down as it will very likely happen! :laughing:)

This is the best thing i've seen all week (excluding the parade and yuzu's happy face because :>). Thank you!

56 minutes ago, micaelis said:

Now that the parade is over a few scattered thoughts:

Could any of the other Japanese skaters have gone through this with the evident good spirits and spontaneity Yuzu showed as he was moving slowly down the street, having to keep waving and waving and waving?

Where does he put all the stuff he receives at various ceremonies, not only here but in all the other events he's gone through during the course of his career?

I'm wondering where his family is during all this.  Were they placed in some vantage point where they could watch the proceedings and yet remain unidentified, continuing to preserve their privacy, as they have done though all the years of Yuzu's moving from earnest young skater through stardom, superstardom and now iconic status?

Is Yuzu's family still living in the house they had when Yuzu was growing up and before moving to Toronto?  With Yuzu's income now I'm sure they could be living in a place not necessarily more luxurious (although that would be possible but I don't think that would be what they want) but a place which would be more amenable to the security needs they now have, particularly when Yuzu is at home?

What kind of staff does he employ to deal with all the public responsibilities he's acquired with his rise in prominence and popularity?  He can't handle that stuff himself and much of this is well beyond the responsibilities of Brian and TCC, since this is exclusively Yuzu's concern and not TCC's.

Some final observations - Yuzu is so very special because he's one of those rare public figures who knows he owes his position to the adoration of the public.  Thus he's ready to go through a ceremony like the parade realizing that this is part of what's required.  His fans have awarded him applause and hundreds of Poohs over the years and it's ceremonies like this where he gets to thank them.  I know some might think that it's parades like this where they are thanking him but that's not the case.  It's the myriad little things that those who not only have seen him in person during competition with their applause but also those who have made up paper swans for him, have put messages at shrines, have spread the word about him, have given portions of their lives to see him succeed and cheer him on.  The parade we've just seen is Yuzu thanking them.  Many might not see it that way but I do and I'm certain Yuzu does, also.  After all, that's what makes Yuzu Yuzu and that's what make him so special.  The parade is one great and graceful bow sent in all directions and all over the world, Yuzu's way of saying 'arigatou'.

First thought: Yep, it's his way of thanking Sendai and Myagi prefecture. Not just by giving his winnings to them, but by flooding the local businesses with tourist cash. Remember, in his first press conference when he came back from the Olympics, a reporter gave him a "gotcha" questioned, asking how he could justify the expense of a parade in this economy. He smirked and said, "by all means, everyone please come spend money in Sendai." 

I don't actually agree that TCC leaves all the public responsibilities to Yuzu. I think that's part of their service. They make their students into stars, then teach them how to handle it. I would bet my eye teeth on it. Part of the training will be in how to navigate this. Plus, they probably actively work to thwart interlopers and deceive the media to give them all some peace. They also routinely let Yuzu have film crews in to watch him practice. Remember, Brian went through the "Battle of the Brians," etc. He's been through the rumor-mill too. He has invaluable advice, and i can't believe he doesn't share that with Yuzu. 

53 minutes ago, cinemacoconut said:
  Hide contents

She unfollowed all Yuzu fan accounts today, so all speculation or rumor of their relationship officially ends and dies as of today. There won't be anymore so we will never have to worry. 

Good for her, no one needs that kind of crazy "shipper attention. Hopefully it doesn't make their future interactions awkward or impact their friendship. I also find it especially disturbing when "shippers" leave comments on Javi's post with his girlfriend talking about the the "ship". Please don't project onto the skaters, that's just wrong... 

2 minutes ago, Naonica said:

A more complete translation of today's presscon by the wonderful tadaki on tumblr.

https://tadakixd.tumblr.com/post/173190154325/hanyu-yuzuru-sendai-parade-press-con-2242018

Our Lord Sendai, not only a master of the blade but also a master of words.
Sigh, will he ever stop amazing me. Such thoughtful words!

(also, first post out of lurkerdom :) #yolo)

Thank you! Glad you took your invisibility cloak off!  :snpeace:

40 minutes ago, Toni said:

I don't actually agree that TCC leaves all the public responsibilities to Yuzu. I think that's part of their service. They make their students into stars, then teach them how to handle it. I would bet my eye teeth on it. Part of the training will be in how to navigate this. Plus, they probably actively work to thwart interlopers and deceive the media to give them all some peace. They also routinely let Yuzu have film crews in to watch him practice. Remember, Brian went through the "Battle of the Brians," etc. He's been through the rumor-mill too. He has invaluable advice, and i can't believe he doesn't share that with Yuzu. 

I agree there.  TCC does have a part, indeed a very important part, in the handling of Yuzu's off-ice affairs.  On the other hand there are a great many situations where Brian and the TCC would be handicapped in helping Yuzu, those being the Japanese elements.   Most of Yuzu's endorsing (actually probably all) involves Japanese products and services though and I doubt Brian has the contacts in Japan to adequately vet prospects there although he might have known people who did.  My guess, though, is that most of those situations were initially addressed through the JSF, who would have been well-experienced in providing counsel to their successful athletes (although I don't think they've had to deal with a skater with such an extremely high public profile as Yuzu's has become).  I think it quite likely that Yuzu has engaged an agency to deal with his commercial dealings in Japan and also his public relations.  That is the sort of thing I was thinking about.  TCC would be in a better position to handle Yuzu's skating affairs, including media relations and security concerns in Canada.   Indeed, that is an automatic responsibility there but Yuzu's economic affairs and public relations in Japan, outside of some informal advice from Brian and company, would largely be in Japanese hands.  I have a feeling also that Yuzu has looked for some unofficial advice from Nobu, who because of his advantage in years and his media-savviness would be invaluable and whom, I think, has Yuzu's trust.  Also Yuzu may have had some counsel from his father, whose background in baseball would have given him some insight into the economics of high-profiled athletes (I don't know how high his father climbed in baseball but he would at least have been in an environment where he'd be aware of the issues and practices of athlete endorsements).  All in all, I agree with the points you've made with the qualifier being that in Japan much of that responsibility has been handled by the JSF and also the Japanese Olympic Committee office, both of which have a high responsibility of keeping Yuzu, internationally Japan's most prominent athlete, from coming to any harm (They don't worry about scandal since Yuzu is in terms of his conduct both private and public a regular Mary Poppins: practically perfect in every way).

On 4/22/2018 at 12:51 PM, micaelis said:

I agree there.  TCC does have a part, indeed a very important part, in the handling of Yuzu's off-ice affairs.  On the other hand there are a great many situations where Brian and the TCC would be handicapped in helping Yuzu, those being the Japanese elements.   Most of Yuzu's endorsing (actually probably all) involves Japanese products and services though and I doubt Brian has the contacts in Japan to adequately vet prospects there although he might have known people who did.  My guess, though, is that most of those situations were initially addressed through the JSF, who would have been well-experienced in providing counsel to their successful athletes (although I don't think they've had to deal with a skater with such an extremely high public profile as Yuzu's has become).  I think it quite likely that Yuzu has engaged an agency to deal with his commercial dealings in Japan and also his public relations.  That is the sort of thing I was thinking about.  TCC would be in a better position to handle Yuzu's skating affairs, including media relations and security concerns in Canada.   Indeed, that is an automatic responsibility there but Yuzu's economic affairs and public relations in Japan, outside of some informal advice from Brian and company, would largely be in Japanese hands.  I have a feeling also that Yuzu has looked for some unofficial advice from Nobu, who because of his advantage in years and his media-savviness would be invaluable and whom, I think, has Yuzu's trust.  Also Yuzu may have had some counsel from his father, whose background in baseball would have given him some insight into the economics of high-profiled athletes (I don't know how high his father climbed in baseball but he would at least have been in an environment where he'd be aware of the issues and practices of athlete endorsements).  All in all, I agree with the points you've made with the qualifier being that in Japan much of that responsibility has been handled by the JSF and also the Japanese Olympic Committee office, both of which have a high responsibility of keeping Yuzu, internationally Japan's most prominent athlete, from coming to any harm (They don't worry about scandal since Yuzu is in terms of his conduct both private and public a regular Mary Poppins: practically perfect in every way).

Oh, yes, now that you clarified, I agree with every word of that.

On 4/22/2018 at 12:43 PM, Naonica said:

A more complete translation of today's presscon by the wonderful tadaki on tumblr.

https://tadakixd.tumblr.com/post/173190154325/hanyu-yuzuru-sendai-parade-press-con-2242018

Our Lord Sendai, not only a master of the blade but also a master of words.
Sigh, will he ever stop amazing me. Such thoughtful words!

(also, first post out of lurkerdom :) #yolo)

That's funny. I lurked for about a year before I joined. I found this group when I first started researching the contenders for the upcoming Olympics; but I'm 55 and don't normally participate in social media, so I thought I could resist -- but who can really resist the charms of the King? And Planet Hanyu really is the single best resource for English-speaking Fanyus. The creators of this group should be very proud of themselves... Now for some Yuzu-like back-stabbing with a smile:  But it's really hard to navigate sometimes. Maybe the creators can also find a way to make it easier to find the most current discussions during special events... like maybe a "Current Hot Topics" page. They could leave the forums where they are, but during special events, they could provide links back to those forums on the Hot Topics Page, then delete the list a few days after the event is over and start over next time.

13 minutes ago, Toni said:

That's funny. I lurked for about a year before I joined. I found this group when I first started researching the contenders for the upcoming Olympics; but I'm 55 and don't normally participate in social media, so I thought I could resist -- but who can really resist the charms of the King? And Planet Hanyu really is the single best resource for English-speaking Fanyus. The creators of this group should be very proud of themselves... Now for some Yuzu-like back-stabbing with a smile:  But it's really hard to navigate sometimes. Maybe the creators can also find a way to make it easier to find the most current discussions during special events... like maybe a "Current Hot Topics" page. They could leave the forums where they are, but during special events, they could provide links back to those forums on the Hot Topics Page, then delete the list a few days after the event is over and start over next time.

Yeah we still have to work on making the navigation easier. But what you’re describing sounds a lot like what we already have here 

https://planethanyu.com/ourpicks/

It’s also a sidebar on the index page of the forum where you can always find the threads corresponding to the most recent events. Is that what you mean? 

Also, I’m glad you like it here:tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid: 

14 minutes ago, robin said:

Yeah we still have to work on making the navigation easier. But what you’re describing sounds a lot like what we already have here 

https://planethanyu.com/ourpicks/

It’s also a sidebar on the index page of the forum where you can always find the threads corresponding to the most recent events. Is that what you mean? 

Also, I’m glad you like it here:tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid: 

AHA! Our picks might do, if you always keep it clean with just the hot topics of the day. But the title "Our Picks" makes it sound like a list of favorites, not current interests. The index page isn't obvious enough. Like most newbies, I have no idea where things are nested. You apply logic and find you're wrong. The Our Picks page makes a lot of sense, if you keep it manageable and let all the newbies know to look there. Thanks for all the hard work!

8 minutes ago, Toni said:

AHA! Our picks might do, if you always keep it clean with just the hot topics of the day. But the title "Our Picks" makes it sound like a list of favorites, not current interests. The index page isn't obvious enough. Like most newbies, I have no idea where things are nested. You apply logic and find you're wrong. The Our Picks page makes a lot of sense, if you keep it manageable and let all the newbies know to look there. Thanks for all the hard work!

Oh sorry, the title isn’t something we can change but the side-bar add on is called “Current Events” so that is a bit more intuitive. We are working on making a guide to the forum that will hopefully facilitate navigating for newer fans 

It would be great if you could let us know if you can’t find something where you would have logically expected it to be. That would help us a lot and you can use this thread for it 

It’s located in Suggestions and Feedback

Thank you!