General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Duuuuuude. His inconsistency (as in his tendency to make mistakes) is a huge part of what makes him the legend he is. They are the proof of his always rising goals and ideals. If he's GOAT, he'd be GOAT precisely because of them. Without them, he wouldn't have anything to triumph over and his victories so much less exhilarating. He'd just be a machine who hits everything on the note the first time he tries it and there would be no challenge. No challenge means no journey. He'd be so much less relatable and the emotions he'd invoke in his fans would be so much less. Which means...less fans. Because without them, what the hell else do we have to cry and moan over? We'd just be smoking cigars all the time and shrugging, "Oh well. Another day another victory." And we'd all be poorer for it. 

In my books, GOATs are people who show weaknesses and then show how they gloriously overcome them. It's not just about how impressive they are to others, it's also about how inspiring they are. It's about how they crawl and claw all the way from zero to hero. I only grew to like the dude because of how he can go from failing spectacularly to crushing it and owning everything and everyone like the boss he really is. All the best stories we grew up with have protagonists like that. Only in real life, failures don't always lead to the best outcome. For this guy, they do. So why are we suddenly talking as though failures should be something to be shunned? They're two sides of the same frickin' coin.

Consistency is overrated. Skaters don't need to be ultra consistent. What they need is to be able to perform well enough to be better than everyone else at the right competitions. Which takes both skill and luck. That is what further substantiates and enhances their GOAT status. I'm a huge defender and advocate of his inconsistency because they are a huge part of what made me root for him so hard, and because they are the biggest reasons why his victories are as sweet as they are. Please stop writing them off because they are a part of who he is. I'm not what most would consider a sports fan and even if I were, men's fs would be the last sport I'd get into, was what I used to think. But now it's about the only thing I watch. And it's all because of this guy and his awe-inspiring hits and misses.

As to where I stand on the goat debate,  far as I'm concerned, Yuzuru Hanyu is so far beyond the GOAT status, it's not even worthy of him anymore. Let others argue over who deserves it and let others have it. Where he is now is beyond both our capability and capacity to quantify. So let's just sit back and enjoy the ride of having our hearts continue to be wrenched from our ribcages and our minds blown again and again.

:bow:

On 4/19/2018 at 12:15 AM, monchan said:

Besides the meaning of keeping flying higher, stronger, 'wings' is from his surname: 羽生 (Hanyu), 羽=wing/feather so he's kinda obsessed w wings and include it in everything as his symbol (his blades too). 'Wings' represents him so 'Continues ~with Wings' also means let's bring skating legacy (from senior skaters) continued to the future with Hanyu.

The name works so well if he does more Continues ~with Wings~ after he retires, since he can continue sharing skating with us and also include teaching sections to pass on the legacy further like he did this time ^^

On 4/19/2018 at 12:34 AM, Hydroblade said:

ngl, after i saw him in Sochi and found out how his name was written, i thought it was the most beautiful name i had seen so far.

yeah, I always thought 羽生結弦 was a super pretty name!

1 час назад, monchan сказал:

Why is his show called 'Continue with wings'? What's the significance of the title?

Yuzuru Hanyu | Brilliant Post-Olympic Press Conference | JNPC 2.27.2018 [ENGSUB]

- I don’t know how I should say this but… A chrysalis, and the emergence from that… A stage where slowly, slowly it spreads the wings  - that is where I think I might be at...

3 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

ngl, after i saw him in Sochi and found out how his name was written, i thought it was the most beautiful name i had seen so far.

羽生 (Hanyu) is roughly translated as 'born as feather' (soft, delicate) while 結弦(Yuzuru) can be translated as 'binded/tied bowstring' (strong, resilient), his name has great harmony and balance, good name, it reflects on his strong yet delicate character on and off ice too.

28 minutes ago, monchan said:

羽生 (Hanyu) is roughly translated as 'born as feather' (soft, delicate) while 結弦(Yuzuru) can be translated as 'binded/tied bowstring' (strong, resilient), his name has great harmony and balance, good name, it reflects on his strong yet delicate character on and off ice too.

This is bad, now I have ideas about artistic decorated feathers that can be given to him as fan-gifts. :13877886:

I read his article twice or more and at different times, is it my wrong understanding of language? Because i thought he clearly said 2nd OGM will make him goat. Now he says it wasn't his opinion but other's and this tweet was his personal opinion. Was i wrong?

Also do you know about this?

(Its sweet of max to rt)

I hadn't checked the Gen chat since CiONTU, and I finally caught up!

Since we're talking about his name, I have my own anecdote. I got back into watching figure skating sometime around early December 2013. After JP Nationals, Youtube flooded the recommended videos with those programs, and I actually saw Daisuke's skating first. His valiant SP and FS left such an impression, and I was going to check on more of his programs, but on a whim I decided to scroll down the recommended videos. There were a bunch of Japanese names and Yuzuru's caught my eye because it's such an odd name. Among the Machida, Kozuka, Takahashi, etc. there was this super thin beanpole with a name that stood out ("Yuzuru" and "Hanyu" are not common names). I thought he was just some young up-and-coming skater -- a new lanky Senior (perhaps 16/17 years-old) who is trying to make it among the big skaters. I was debating whether to give the video a chance or go watch someone else, but his name was just so intriguing and tempted me to click it. Plus his form looked pretty in the blue shirt and black pants....So I made the excuse to myself "I may as well give him a chance, that way I can confirm just how far-and-above Daisuke is."
....... but GPF 2013 SP Yuzuru stole my heart and ran away with it. Never underestimate Mr. Hanyu.

So basically, the reason I started watching Yuzuru is because his name is so unique:4: