General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Skaters can only do that if they unscrew their blades from the boots because those blades need to be checked in. They are restricted as hand carry because sharp objects larger than needles (and even those require special prior authorization) cannot be brought on board into the cabin for obvious reasons.

In Hanyu's case, not even his affiliation with ANA can help him with that because these are international rules set by IATA.

@KatjaThera It's categorized as both sports equipment and pointed/edged weapon or object.

No that's not true, I carry skates on flights all the time. Maybe competitive skaters have much sharper blades? But I've always had no problem bringing mine on as a carry on.

25 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

No that's not true, I carry skates on flights all the time. Maybe competitive skaters have much sharper blades? But I've always had no problem bringing mine on as a carry on.

I think Meghan Duhamel replied to someone on twitter while that was ongoing and said that it's because of customs that they had to be checked?

On 4/12/2018 at 10:10 AM, Bonesfan said:
On 4/12/2018 at 10:10 AM, Bonesfan said:
On 4/12/2018 at 9:33 AM, Pamigena said:

Well, for starters, not everybody in the world knows who Yuzuru Hanyu even is, and more importantly, not everybody would recognize him everywhere in any outfit. And news does get out pretty often still, doesn't it? And when we get those "sightings" at an airport, he often wears his glasses and a cap or even a face mask. So he's obviously not trying to stand out. He doesn't always travel with an entourage and his own security detail like when he arrived at the Olympics. I guess sometimes people just don't recognize him, or if they do, they don't always stalk him to sneak a picture and put it on twitter.

Definitely true. There is a poster on GS that lives in Toronto. She’s seen Yuzu a few times and said she wants to respect his privacy so does not try to talk with him. I would hope that everyone would do the same.

I think it likely that in Toronto he can be out on the street where very few would recognize him.  Outside of Japan Yuzu is primarily known only by the skating community (skaters and fans) and so he can be basically simply another Japanese [admin edit].  In Japan, however, I think anonymity is for him at this time almost impossible to achieve.  His face has to be one of the top ten most recognized faces there.  On the other hand Japanese etiquette would require most people, even when recognizing him to stay a respectful distance (by that I don't mean spatially distant but socially distant).  On the other hand if such an encounter were to take place near an ice arena or such, where his presence would be not very surprising, there would be looser etiquette involved.  One might approach him and exchange greetings and wish him luck on whatever is coming up (at least that's my reading, although I don't have a great acquaintance about such things beyond what I learned when I read The Tale of Genji).  I doubt they would be brash enough to ask for an autograph or such.  Japanese etiquette is really much to be envied by us here in the West.  However, if Yuzu is encountered in a formal situation where he is essentially 'on display', then the interaction could be more complex.  I think it all depends on context in Japan.  Unfortunately Western manners are such that so many people really don't know what is proper or improper.  In the West Yuzu is basically protected by his relative anonymity.

1 hour ago, Sammie said:

That story was ugly. I feel so bad for him. Have to skate on new boots for the WC. 

Reveal hidden contents

I didn’t like how they treated him vs Megan 🤦🏻‍♀️

Yuzu plans ahead for YEARS. I bet he breaks in multiple boots until they're perfect, then stores them in his closet. When he's competing, I bet he SHIPS two perfect pairs to himself wherever he's going (two, in case one pair fails.) He may even ship them in two separate shipments. On the other hand, he DOES have a special relationship with ANA. I bet the Pilots have a special storage area for their own stuff -- luggage that will never get lost because the pilots take it directly. If that's true, I definitely think they would agree to include Yuzu's skates in with their luggage. 

1 時間前, yuzuangelさんが言いました:

They let you bring them into the cabin for long haul international flights??? Each and every time? In recent times? Across all airlines? Because I'm pretty sure I'll get fired if a passenger asks if they can bring them on board and I merrily answered, "Yeah, sure, go right ahead! ^__^" Even if I weren't fired, I'd be severely reprimanded. I'd have to say no, like I was trained to, even if that passenger were Hanyu. Tho given his status, I might have to escalate it to the higher ups to handle. Wouldn't want to piss off a 2x Oly champion now. Passengers like him are waaaaay beyond my paygrade.

But even if I were to make a mistake and said yes, the passenger would just get stopped during security check and asked to remove them. Heck, even party poppers and fishing rods aren't allowed. I had to say no just a couple of days back, after careful verification, to someone asking if they could bring a fishing rod as a carry on. Fishing rods, as it turns out, are listed as a restricted blunt object, and I'm guessing it's probably because it presents a hazard that can poke someone's eyes out in the cabin. Ice skates can be used to slash out someone's throat. Or torso, as Chan can attest. Doesn't matter how sharp or not sharp. I can't imagine a situation where I'd be allowed to tell a passenger they can bring them on board.

Anyway, there's a publicly published list of restricted items and ice skates (along with fishing rods) are clearly included. Again, it doesn't matter if the blades were blunt or sharp. There is no clause stating that skates that are less sharp are allowed. They're not allowed. Period.* If they were allowed, skaters--competitive and professional ones especially--would no doubt choose to bring them on board with them each and every time, instead of risk having them get lost. You must be really lucky or some super duper VIP beyond even an Oly champ...especially given that you're from the States and the country's security for both domestic and int'l travel is all the way up its wazoo, pardon my French.

*If Hanyu was taking a flight where ANA had a say in things, they'll probably arrange it so that they'll arrive along with him, tho I don't know if he'd be allowed to carry them *with* him on his person since he has to go through the airport security checkpoint and, unless it's Haneda, that's something not within ANA's jurisdiction.

1 hour ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

They let you bring them into the cabin for long haul international flights??? Each and every time? In recent times? Across all airlines? Because I'm pretty sure I'll get fired if a passenger asks if they can bring them on board and I merrily answered, "Yeah, sure, go right ahead! ^__^" Even if I weren't fired, I'd be severely reprimanded. I'd have to say no, like I was trained to, even if that passenger were Hanyu. Tho given his status, I might have to escalate it to the higher ups to handle. Wouldn't want to piss off a 2x Oly champion now. Passengers like him are waaaaay beyond my paygrade.

But even if I were to make a mistake and said yes, the passenger would just get stopped during security check and asked to remove them. Heck, even party poppers and fishing rods aren't allowed. I had to say no just a couple of days back, after careful verification, to someone asking if they could bring a fishing rod as a carry on. Fishing rods, as it turns out, are listed as a restricted blunt object, and I'm guessing it's probably because it presents a hazard that can poke someone's eyes out in the cabin. Ice skates can be used to slash out someone's throat. Or torso, as Chan will probably tell you. Doesn't matter how sharp or not sharp. I can't imagine a situation where I'd be allowed to tell a passenger they can bring them on board.

Anyway, there's a publicly published list of restricted items and ice skates (along with fishing rods) are clearly included. Again, it doesn't matter if the blades were blunt or sharp. There is no clause stating that skates that are less sharp are allowed. They're not allowed. Period.* If they were allowed, skaters--competitive and professional ones especially--would no doubt choose to bring them on board with them each and every time, instead of risk having them get lost. You must be really lucky or some super duper VIP beyond even an Oly champ...especially given that you're from the States and the country's security for both domestic and int'l travel is all the way up its wazoo, pardon my French.

*If Hanyu is in a flight where ANA had a say in things, they'll probably arrange it so that they'll arrive along with him, tho I don't know if he'd be allowed to carry them *with* him on his person since he has to go through the airport security checkpoint because unless it's Haneda, that's something not within ANA's jurisdiction.

Dunno, I've never taken every single airline. I've flown domestically and internationally in the last 5 years and they've let me taken the skates into the cabin every time. But once again, I don't think I've taken all airlines at all airports sooo I can't say for all of them, and maybe it's different depending on the people letting me on the plane. Maybe some security agents are stricter? Usually they take the skates out, check that yes they are skates, sometimes feel the blade, and determine that it's not nearly sharp enough to be a knife or anything, and let me on. I've literally never had to check them, but I haven't tested this exhaustively or anything.

But if they're officially not permitted, then, well, that's strange.

17 分, yuzuangelさんが言いました:

Dunno, I've never taken every single airline. I've flown domestically and internationally in the last 5 years and they've let me taken the skates into the cabin every time. But once again, I don't think I've taken all airlines sooo I can't say for all of them, and maybe it's different depending on the people letting me on the plane. Maybe some security agents are stricter? Usually they take the skates out, check that yes they are skates, sometimes feel the blade, and determine that it's not nearly sharp enough to be a knife or anything, and let me on. I've literally never had to check them, but I haven't tested this exhaustively or anything.

I meant the airlines you've been on. Thought you might have gotten that from the nuance and saved myself the trouble of elaborating. Guess you've been really lucky then, or just super charming*, and all the officers you've met so far have decided to let you through based on their judgment. Because if that had been everyone's experience, no one would be checking in their skates. As a general rule though, they're not allowed. But what the security decides, well, that's more arbitrary. Most choose to err on the side of caution, even if that caution ends up not being much of one and they end up losing their baggage with their skates in them.

*Wait. I think maybe that's it. That's how Hanyu makes sure his skates arrive with him. Because if it's charm, he certainly has more than enough of it. The security person would check the blade, cut themself on it, start to frown, but then look up and be hammered by the full force of this sweet-faced thing he does and, quickly wiping the bead of blood on their finger off on their pants,  go, "Hell, this ain't sharp at all! Let him through, guys! This boy here won't hurt a fly!" 

...think that's it? Have I figured it out??

8 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I meant the airlines you've been on. Thought you might have gotten that from the nuance and saved myself the trouble of elaborating. Guess you've been really lucky then, or just super charming*, and all the officers you've met so far have decided to let you through based on their judgment. Because if that had been everyone's experience, no one would be checking in their skates.

*Wait. I think maybe that's it. That's how Hanyu makes sure his skates arrive with him. Because if it's charm, he certainly has more than enough of it. The security person would check the blade, cut themself on it start to frown but then look up and see him doing this sweet- faced thing and, quickly wiping the beat of blood on their finger off on their pants,  go, "Hell, this ain't sharp at all! Let him through, guys!" Think I've figured it out, yo!!

Yeah TBH I've always wondered why people checked their skates. Guess I didn't really do my research, lol. I was like "Why would anyone check their skates if they could get lost? Especially if they're going to Worlds/Olympics and only have one pair?" Makes sense that they're not allowed...

Really weird.

Quick googling tells me:

Canada, UK allow ice skates on carry on

TSA doesn't --> probably another reason why Zu doesn't do SA anymore

I remember my friend who was travelling internationally with her art equipments which includes many sharp chisels. She was able to arange for the art toolbox to be in the cabin, but stored personally by the flight attendants somewhere safe, and she could take it back when she left the plane. She doesn't have any special connection to any airline and is nowhere near as famous as Yuzu.

I am in the camp who believes that Zu or his team would have made arrangement so that his skating equipment can be easily accessible.

9 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

I think mostly the prices are fair for the effort involved in buying them but on the other hand I'm not sure I'd want them enough to pay that much. It might be an easier decision for those who've already ordered CiONTU stuff, though. 

Yeah, I'd feel weird owning a keychain that cost that much. Sigh. I guess I'll just have to hope they sell these goods online later on.