General Yuzuru Chat

Oh dear, the hanyuconomy is something else! With how much I find myself wanting to buy this, this, and that --oh wait yes and that one there, too-- I suppose I must resign myself to the 'good fortune' of being on the other side of the world :13877886:

...that being said, does anyone know if there will be second-hand, international sellers for the exhibition's merch (similar to japanhomemaker for CiONTU merch)? For a purely theoretical thought exercise, of course :biggrin:

:5a7ce9d358326_offtopic1: Just wondering, after seeing the post about Yuzu and Yoshiharu Habu being invited to the imperial garden party: despite having the exact same kanji for their family names (羽生), for Yuzuru it is pronounced as 'Hanyu' and for Yoshiharu, 'Habu.' How common/rare is it for a family and/or given name to have multiple possible pronunciations? And when faced with such a scenario, how do native Japanese speakers figure out the correct pronunciation of the name (for non-famous people, at least)? Would it require spelling it out with hiragana regularly?

4 minutes ago, dodobirdo said:

Oh dear, the hanyuconomy is something else! With how much I find myself wanting to buy this, this, and that --oh wait yes and that one there, too-- I suppose I must resign myself to the 'good fortune' of being on the other side of the world :13877886:

...that being said, does anyone know if there will be second-hand, international sellers for the exhibition's merch (similar to japanhomemaker for CiONTU merch)? For a purely theoretical thought exercise, of course :biggrin:

:5a7ce9d358326_offtopic1: Just wondering, after seeing the post about Yuzu and Yoshiharu Habu being invited to the imperial garden party: despite having the exact same kanji for their family names (羽生), for Yuzuru it is pronounced as 'Hanyu' and for Yoshiharu, 'Habu.' How common/rare is it for a family and/or given name to have multiple possible pronunciations? And when faced with such a scenario, how do native Japanese speakers figure out the correct pronunciation of the name (for non-famous people, at least)? Would it require spelling it out with hiragana regularly?

iirc, at school people used to call yuzu "habu kun" until he corrected them and said that it was "hanyu" (or something like that, but they did call him habu kun) i suppose it's a bit like how there's a lot of names that have different spellings so you have to specify which one is correct in a particular case.  And i think it might be common? Since kanji have multiple lectures, i guess you can go for the common ones when you try to figure out how to pronounce it

2 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

iirc, at school people used to call yuzu "habu kun" until he corrected them and said that it was "hanyu" (or something like that, but they did call him habu kun) i suppose it's a bit like how there's a lot of names that have different spellings so you have to specify which one is correct in a particular case.  And i think it might be common? Since kanji have multiple lectures, i guess you can go for the common ones when you try to figure out how to pronounce it

:thanks: That makes sense! Thanks for clarifying!