General Yuzuru Chat

8 minutes ago, LucyH said:

I didn't bother voting either but I did tweet to say I selected option 5: Chopin Ballade V3 otherwise known as the best SP this season :-) ha ha ha 

OT: 

Spoiler

Sorry for bringing up this topic again, but I was bummed I didn't get to cackle diabolically because Shoma didn't win the poll. But I did get to giggle hysterically because all the % of votes added up makes 101%. I don't know how that happened, and I don't think IN can manipulate Twitter, but I still find it hilarious. Like, a random 1% came out of nowhere just to make Nathan win over Shoma. 

I saw some not-nice replies about Nathan and it made me think that maybe IN's purpose for not including Yuzu, aside from giving Nathan a chance to win, is to make fanyus react negatively and thus make us look like crazy fantards. 

So I implore everyone to help calm the other fanyus who are indeed aggressive. Or at least leave a sensible comment to negate the image of "crazy fanyus". I'm flabbergasted that people seem to be so bothered and offended by this poll. I understand being mildly offended or bothered but not to the point of being hateful and offensive. 

4 hours ago, micaelis said:

I agree on this.  I really hope the rules change will take some of the aerobatics out of the programs.  I can see that the shorter time will be an aid there, despite there being only four jump passes allowed.  The thing is most of the skaters require time to set up for a jump.  Not Yuzu, though.  He whips his jumps seemingly out of nowhere, which means that he can put more effort in the step and choreographic sequences, plus his spins, which are a real strong point for him, keeping the skating between elements also filled with detail.  That's how he gets the high PCS points.  The other skaters, if they hope to compete with Yuzu, are either going lighter on the jumps, because they need the time for the non-jumping elements, or they'll go as heavy on the jumps as possible and to hell with steps and choreography.  It will show.  Of the proposed rule changes, I think the shorter time will be the change that most benefits Yuzu, since he doesn't need that much time to set himself up for the jumps.  The one who'll be most hurt by the changes will be Nathan.  He's not much more than a jumping machine and if, as they say, he's had some ballet, as far as I can tell it hasn't really helped.  It's Boyang who's shown the growing maturity since those days when Kurt Browning would call him 'Boing-Boing'.  He's learning and I wish that rumor I once heard about him were true and he would change coaches and go over to Brian.  Brian would do wonders for him.

As for the past of figure skating, I am old enough to remember the past, far enough in the past to remember John Curry, who as a skater had a philosophy close to what I think Yuzu's is, seeing the skating as a unified artistic piece. John was very much influenced by ballet and he tried to incorporate ballet moves into his programs.  I don't think they were successful in that way, but his basic avoidance of the strictly athletic in order to enhance the aesthetic did win him the gold medal back in 1976.  I do also remember the battle of the Brians in 1988.  But after that I more or less drifted away from skating until last year when I became aware of Yuzu.  The present scoring system I feel is an improvement over the old system as it allows both the audience and, more importantly, the skaters to see where a skater's particular performance was strong and where it was weak.  The old system frequently left everybody wondering why a particular skate was scored the way it was.

Ahh, John Curry. I loved him because I was a ballet dancer. He was also sooo long. 1972 was my first, though. I was eight. 

Meanwhile, we are like-minded, although I strongly disagree with one thing you said. I say Yuzu puts MORE preparation into his jumps than anyone else, not LESS. Remember that one of Yuzu's coaches (name? having a senile moment) specializes in gaining speed and energy from minute movements. Watch the lazy rhythm Yuzu develops as he works toward his jumps (his 3a is the best example.) Watch his feet -- effectively rocking side to side. He isn't launching into his jumps with no preparation. He's using all these steps AS his preparation -- not just to increase his speed, but to launch himself in the right direction. I think this is his most brilliant skill, and as a Tibetan Buddhist, I have a special appreciation for this talent. What he's doing is very Tantric -- to use the problem itself to solve the problem.  He's so used to this counter intuitive prep, I bet he'd have trouble doing a straight run at a jump.

5 minutes ago, kamotejojo said:

Yup, this is DANGEROUS...

DadvoApUwAEF_4z.jpg

Dadvp62U8AAgm7-.jpg

SOURCE

ETA: Oh dear... :10742290::10742290::10742290:

DadxXosUwAAcDBc.jpg

SOURCE

And I thought I had to die first to be in heaven. I swear to all skating gods, when our new house gets done, I'll make my room my Yuzu-heaven. (I'm not a crazy fan, ok? Oh wait, why do I have to defend my self when I know you guys have it worse lol) 

46 minutes ago, Erin said:

OT: 

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry for bringing up this topic again, but I was bummed I didn't get to cackle diabolically because Shoma didn't win the poll. But I did get to giggle hysterically because all the % of votes added up makes 101%. I don't know how that happened, and I don't think IN can manipulate Twitter, but I still find it hilarious. Like, a random 1% came out of nowhere just to make Nathan win over Shoma. 

I saw some not-nice replies about Nathan and it made me think that maybe IN's purpose for not including Yuzu, aside from giving Nathan a chance to win, is to make fanyus react negatively and thus make us look like crazy fantards. 

So I implore everyone to help calm the other fanyus who are indeed aggressive. Or at least leave a sensible comment to negate the image of "crazy fanyus". I'm flabbergasted that people seem to be so bothered and offended by this poll. I understand being mildly offended or bothered but not to the point of being hateful and offensive. 

I agree with you - I'm far from a "crazy fanyu", most of the comments I saw were just pointing out the fact that it's funny that the poll for best program did not actually involve the best program so most of us that replied essentially just told IN what that was. I am never a fan of people criticizing the skater (any skater) personally but the skating itself is free game. 

33 minutes ago, Toni said:

Ahh, John Curry. I loved him because I was a ballet dancer. He was also sooo long. 1972 was my first, though. I was eight. 

Meanwhile, we are like-minded, although I strongly disagree with one thing you said. I say Yuzu puts MORE preparation into his jumps than anyone else, not LESS. Remember that one of Yuzu's coaches (name? having a senile moment) specializes in gaining speed and energy from minute movements. Watch the lazy rhythm Yuzu develops as he works toward his jumps (his 3a is the best example.) Watch his feet -- effectively rocking side to side. He isn't launching into his jumps with no preparation. He's using all these steps AS his preparation -- not just to increase his speed, but to launch himself in the right direction. I think this is his most brilliant skill, and as a Tibetan Buddhist, I have a special appreciation for this talent. What he's doing is very Tantric -- to use the problem itself to solve the problem.  He's so used to this counter intuitive prep, I bet he'd have trouble doing a straight run at a jump.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hanyu's entry into 3A is anything but "lazy rhythm". You mean the back counter, yes? I'm newbie, but I read that it's quiet difficult to perform back counter into 3A. He does make it look easy, tho. And he is capable of doing 3A from a standstill. Well, i only saw it once.

6 minutes ago, Peppo said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hanyu's entry into 3A is anything but "lazy rhythm". You mean the back counter, yes? I'm newbie, but I read that it's quiet difficult to perform back counter into 3A. He does make it look easy, tho. And he is capable of doing 3A from a standstill. Well, i only saw it once.

Yes, it's quite difficult, but "lazy rhythm" doesn't mean "lazy" in this case, it means that he's in complete control, basically weaving to the rhythm. It looks very relaxed and easy. Yes, he can do a 3a from a standstill, but it's not nearly as spectacular as when he sets it up this way. He gets all his power and best positioning from his crazy set-up. I notice he uses rhythm to center himself too. I bet that's how he meditates.