General Yuzuru Chat

7 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

We've still got nothing on the sea of replies on that poll though:pouty: 

I'm definitely amused they got more comments complaining about the missing names than likes on their poll.

10 minutes ago, ruruzest said:

a stat  (pic) that speaks a thousand words 

Haha that makes it's sound like the other forts are crumbling >< they are still hanging in there though! And I'm kinda hoping that next season will be beautiful and build that wall up higher! 

2 hours ago, Danibellerika said:

In an olympic year Stars on Ice doesn't even sell out arenas.

Why am I not surprised...

:offtopic:

I really think they'd do better with an international cast, do they always bring in only American skaters? I saw some US twitter fans were disappointed that the cast isn't international. Also, it'd create a different energy if there were skaters from all around the worlds. SOI Japan looked like so much fun this year, from what we've seen. Is SOI America even broadcasted anywhere on TV?

2 hours ago, Toni said:

Anyway, the coming rules change may help bring the audience back. Most of you are too young to remember when it was all about the artistry, with a few jumps thrown in to dazzle you when the music called for it. But you’re NOT too young to know how much more wonderful it is to watch Yuzu complete a complicated step sequence than it is to watch anyone else do ANYthing else on the ice. And now – for Yuzu – I’m here to stay.

I agree on this.  I really hope the rules change will take some of the aerobatics out of the programs.  I can see that the shorter time will be an aid there, despite there being only four jump passes allowed.  The thing is most of the skaters require time to set up for a jump.  Not Yuzu, though.  He whips his jumps seemingly out of nowhere, which means that he can put more effort in the step and choreographic sequences, plus his spins, which are a real strong point for him, keeping the skating between elements also filled with detail.  That's how he gets the high PCS points.  The other skaters, if they hope to compete with Yuzu, are either going lighter on the jumps, because they need the time for the non-jumping elements, or they'll go as heavy on the jumps as possible and to hell with steps and choreography.  It will show.  Of the proposed rule changes, I think the shorter time will be the change that most benefits Yuzu, since he doesn't need that much time to set himself up for the jumps.  The one who'll be most hurt by the changes will be Nathan.  He's not much more than a jumping machine and if, as they say, he's had some ballet, as far as I can tell it hasn't really helped.  It's Boyang who's shown the growing maturity since those days when Kurt Browning would call him 'Boing-Boing'.  He's learning and I wish that rumor I once heard about him were true and he would change coaches and go over to Brian.  Brian would do wonders for him.

As for the past of figure skating, I am old enough to remember the past, far enough in the past to remember John Curry, who as a skater had a philosophy close to what I think Yuzu's is, seeing the skating as a unified artistic piece. John was very much influenced by ballet and he tried to incorporate ballet moves into his programs.  I don't think they were successful in that way, but his basic avoidance of the strictly athletic in order to enhance the aesthetic did win him the gold medal back in 1976.  I do also remember the battle of the Brians in 1988.  But after that I more or less drifted away from skating until last year when I became aware of Yuzu.  The present scoring system I feel is an improvement over the old system as it allows both the audience and, more importantly, the skaters to see where a skater's particular performance was strong and where it was weak.  The old system frequently left everybody wondering why a particular skate was scored the way it was.

10 minutes ago, yuzuonice said:

I really think they'd do better with an international cast, do they always bring in only American skaters? I saw some US twitter fans were disappointed that the cast isn't international. Also, it'd create a different energy if there were skaters from all around the worlds. SOI Japan looked like so much fun this year, from what we've seen. Is SOI America even broadcasted anywhere on TV?

Not that I know of. If they advertise on tv or YouTube I didn’t see it. I’m always on both too. :peekapooh:

12 minutes ago, yuzuonice said:

I'm guessing it's because there's plenty of work in Japan in terms of ice shows, so there's no real need to go to the US? 

I don't think any country can beat Japan's passion for figure skating. You hear time and time again about how skaters love going to Japan because they get totally showered with love <3

29 minutes ago, yuzuonice said:

Way back when I went to Champions on Ice in the early 2000s and they had international cast. Plushenko was there, so we got the top skaters.  But looooong gone are those days unfortunately. And US SOI is not televised as far as I know but there are fancams.