General Yuzuru Chat

5 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

I can appreciate LGC for its complexity and his performance whilst disliking the song.  I think he does rock well - I just wish JB had pointed him in the direction of one of the other rock stars instead of Prince.

As for the generation thing - we're a mixed bunch here, from dinosaurs like me through to a few who are still at school - it's perhaps less of a factor than one might think.

:5a7ce9d358326_offtopic1:

umm just sliding in to say, I read JB as Justin Bieber and then I laughed at myself lol sorry Jeff :smiley-laughing021:

It was because all the talks got me thinking bout this in particular :

:1:

lets abandon rock and make him do pop like the popstar he is :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

I'll excuse myself now lol (for real though, let him be rockstar not popstar :facepalm:)

Pardon my random reply but I just had to do it :peek:

14 minutes ago, Fay said:

You don’t have to. @eaglenever bothered answering any of the criticisms about their point of view - and just went on repeating the same message of comparing apples and oranges. :) 

What I meant is I give up trying to make them understand why we are reacting the way we are reacting, precisely because they never engage with any of my points. I would only be dragged further into ad hominem, which I utterly despise. 

This tho, criticism against Yuzu is fine. Do we not always rip him apart? For stubbornness, his recycling, not fully trusting his training at times, H&L which doesn't give full impact until it was performed flawlessly, etc, etc, etc. What is NOT fine is criticising him irrationally. Especially not here on this Planet. So, ignore button, here I push.:snpeace:

Wait, I digress from my original mission.

@kiches, was it you who originally asked about Shae LB's interview on Hope & Legacy?

I still havent found it after searching the whole afternoon, sorry. Maybe I remember wrong and your info more detailed.

9 hours ago, Mineeal said:

Hi, beautiful people, im new over here and i don't know if this is the right Place to ask, but.... i have been looking for a video of the Olympics presscon right after SP,  where there is Yuzu, Javi and Shoma, but i havent find it so, can a kind soul help me?

thanks! 

9 hours ago, ruruzest said:
Hi @Mineeal. Welcome! You can find it on this thread 

:5a7ce9d358326_offtopic1:Sorry for off-current topic:

Hi. @Mineeal!
As far as I know, the full-footage of the press conference after SP hasn't been released or aired yet, though full transcription of his comment has already been published by Figure Skate Magazine and Asahi Shimbun Digital (*you need to subscribe and pay monthly fee to read this particular article, though), so there might be a translation or two somewhere.
If I find the footage I would definitely add it to the thread but it will take be sometime later anyway because in that thread it's still Feb. 12. :facepalm:

After PyeongChang I've been busy for many reasons and don't have much time to finish the list as much as I want to. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

21 minutes ago, Leanna A said:

From the interviews of Shae Lynn and Yuzu, H&L is about Yuzu’s skating life and nature.

So, what you mentioned is ONLY one  of the many elements of the whole story, I believe.

Oh ok. Tq. I forgot which assortment of interviews it was from

I saw LGC in person at NHK 2016 and it was just like a Rock concert. I remember how I was laughing in my seat seeing him doing the knee-slide and feeling the excitement in the venue which was completely in tune with the sound of the guitar. I laughed because I suddenly remembered it was a competition, not a show and thought what a crazy competition program it was.
Yuzu himself commented that to perform the program connecting with the audience to create a rock-concert-like atmosphere was a challenge to him, but I think he nailed it perfectly, and I can tell this with confidence because I've been following rockstars for years. Of course, it's my personal opinion, though.

4 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

:5a7ce9d358326_offtopic1:Sorry for off-current topic:

As far as I know, the full-footage of the press conference after SP hasn't been released or aired yet, though full transcription of his comment has already been published by Figure Skate Magazine and Asahi Shimbun Digital (*you need to subscribe and pay monthly fee to read this particular article, though), so there might be a translation or a two somewhere.
If I find the footage I would definitely add it to the thread but it will take sometime later anyway because in that thread it's still Feb. 12. :facepalm:

After PyeongChang I've been busy for many reasons and don't have much time to finish the list as much as I want to. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you for this information!

21 時間前, cinemacoconutさんが言いました:

My perfect scenario for Yuzus retirement.

* land 4A in competition

* win 4CC gold

* win at least 1 more world title (3 world titles hooray!)

*win skate canada gold after having 3 silver glass medals

*win 1 more Japanese nationals (5 time national champion) 

As for Beijing, thats too greedy fan wish, so I wont wish for 3 straight title. 

21 時間前, singermelodie1さんが言いました:

I'm greedy. I want Beijing:peek:

At this point, anything he does and achieves from now on is simply icing on the cake, as far as I'm concerned. I mean he can go ahead and shoot for whatever's beyond the stars he's already reached, but nothing impressive he does beyond this point will be all that new to me anymore. Not 4A, not the 3rd OGM, nothing.* Because he's reached god level to me with the way he came back at PC and snatched that gold even while everyone else was so much further ahead competition-wise last season. 

*okay maybe except the 4cc gold. I'd be more impressed by that than if he were to, say, get himself accepted into NASA's space program...but probably not as much as if he were to have invented a time machine. So I guess there are things he could achieve that I could still be impressed by. Yay.

16 時間前, tafattsbarnさんが言いました:

Although the purple outfit was an atrocity, i'd love for him to bring back Let's go crazy. I don't think he skated this program completely clean even once (correct me if i'm wrong) and would love for him to revamp it and conquer it completely.

I was in the same boat at first. Then I saw The Light. You will too, someday.

16 時間前, singermelodie1さんが言いました:

Would you guys like if he recycle lgc? and bring back the purple outfit.

16 時間前, Pamigenaさんが言いました:

no.jpg

16 時間前, MrPuddingさんが言いました:

on this planet, too much recycling is like awakening a deadly virus :war:

15 時間前, Pamigenaさんが言いました:

I come from a country that has like the most insane recycling rate in the entire universe :rofl: excuse me if I have to draw a line somewhere. I'm fine with him having one imperfection if it means that I get to see three new programs (yeah I'm selfish that way. I'll go recycle myself. I'm pretty sure we have a bin for that :P)

15 時間前, valkyrieさんが言いました:

:8:

this is a recycle free zone 

15 時間前, valkyrieさんが言いました:

being real for a second, i love lgc, it’s my fav sp. but i don’t really think “i need to keep doing this over and over until it’s finally perfect” instead of making peace with it and moving on is the healthiest approach in the world, lol. i’d rather he starts fresh with something new.

but maybe this is why i’m not a two time olympic champion and he is :tumblr_inline_mm2wb3v3qq1qz4rgp:

I dunno...it *is* thanks to his penchant for recycling that he got this 2nd Oly gold despite still nursing a serious injury on a part of his body that's integral to the sport. It's also thanks to it that he even got the first one in the first place. So even though I'd love to see him expand his repertoire further, I won't complain if he chooses to repeat LGC, or anything else for the matter at some point in his remaining career. Because we'll get new programs either way, so seeing an old one among them would be nostalgic. Plus, you *know* he'll bring something new to it.  I guess I even hope to see them again, at some point. Especially LGC.

12 時間前, Danibellerikaさんが言いました:

I did last year. Mao's was there too. People tend to knock it, but dunno I had fun :P. Though I think Mao's was better and had a cooler set up on the revolving table.  

The hologram thing was hilarious. I recorded mine somewhere. I still don't know why it couldn't be something ON the ice. 

If you are a visibly non-native Japanese person and speak Japanese, that is a sure fire way for you to stand out. I can personally attest to this.  But I guess her heavily accented Japanese was easier for him to understand than her speaking native English.  When I think about it from my perspective I could probably say I'd understand someone's accented english better than native Japanese where my brain is probably working a little more for comprehension.  

I'm amazed at how Brian really hauls ass (likely to get to Javi) after Yuzu's score. Now you see him, now you don't!   

I caught him doing the same in Helsinki.  

Before the skaters started their programs the jumbotron displayed what the skaters needed for the lead. Like, before Shoma started, they showed that his season's best could have gotten the job done.  Though they didn't show what he needed for silver.  I knew he did enough to stay on the podium but I was still thinking bronze.

I am really confused what this 48 hour coverage from PyeongChang is about because I've only seen curling and worlds skates.  There will be an hour of the men's coverage from PC around midnight EST

It's the opposite for me. Sometimes, when it's too heavily accented or broken, I find them giving up and speaking to me in their native Japanese a smoother communication process. But if their grasp is decent enough, even while not perfect, then it doesn't matter which language they use. If their grasp is perfect, then hell yeah, "You can speak in English!" all the way.

12 時間前, cinemacoconutさんが言いました:

The current president of IOC was a fencing athlete. If Yuzu wins 3 straigh OGM he will get a position in IOC more easily. But 2 OGM is still enough.. I can see Yuzu working for ISU or IOC in the future

Yeah. Maybe he could finally turn it from I$U* into ISU.

*borrowed from a commenter on YouTube

9 時間前, MrPuddingさんが言いました:

tbh.. i want this :smiley-laughing021:

9 時間前, SparkleSaladさんが言いました:

2064690_201512310678172001451541529c.jpg

geo17010105030008-p19.jpg

ETA Video :biggrin:

Reveal hidden contents

That's...that's Plushenko's level of extra. He's quite wildly uninhibited on ice but I really hope he draws the line on this. >_<

8 時間前, ruruzestさんが言いました:

Omg Plushenko is on the far left !!!! Who wears glasses?. Yuzu with a headset and is the star of the show ! Fanyus are so talented and creative.   :knc_brian1:

Don't need no glasses to spot him with that very defining feature of his sticking out.

13 時間前, tafattsbarnさんが言いました:

I didn't know this particular barbarity was so popular here, yikes

The Light. You will see it too, someday. I promise. Be patient.

12 時間前, robinさんが言いました:

Yuzu just won his second Olympic title like what? 2 months ago. Listing utopian amounts of titles is easy on paper but there’s an unimaginable amount of hard work and sacrifice behind Yuzu’s 4 GPF, 2 Worlds and 2 Olympic titles. Let’s just pay his existing achievements the due respect for now and not get ahead of ourselves 

Lol. His ambitiousness is a highly infectious thing. I'm afraid this is a by-product after having witnessed all the seeming impossibilities he's achieved and all the dreams he's made us see which he subsequently turned into reality. I think it's okay to continue dreaming so long as we don't realistically expect them to happen, like we didn't completely expect for him to be able to win that 2nd OGM. Even if he hadn't, it wouldn't have changed the fact that he is the GOAT to us. And I'm sure if he doesn't achieve anything beyond this that we're hoping he would, it wouldn't diminish one bit all that he's achieved in the past.

The guy's only 23 though and seems to run on achievements as fuel so even if they aren't exactly the things that have been listed here, I'm pretty sure he will still go on to achieve other things in his life, so long as he's alive, that won't be any less impressive, if not more. And if there's one thing safe to expect from him, it's that he'll keep going beyond whatever expectations anyone may have of him, except his own.

4 時間前, eagleさんが言いました:

On LGC, I'll put it down to me being old school. I get it on Yuzu trying to be his own brand of rockstar, doesnt come across as that either for me. Yuzu is Yuzu, he doesnt have rockstar aura, he doesnt need to be one. Japanese are naturally more restrained anyway.

Oh, dont get me wrong, I loved Yuzu's H&L performance, not so much cos of the WR but the subtle nuances. That's Yuzu & very Japanese, lol.

The main point I was addressing on the - Yuzu felt audience not appreciating him trying out LGC& Hope & Legacy topic. I vaguely recall Orser saying in an interview that he(Orser) felt it was too quiet but Yuzu wanted to do it anyway.

Really? I find him so without inhibitions on ice, I sometimes get second-hand embarrassment for him. I'm not sure how you could have missed all that. Guy's the very definition of a rock star when he's got skates on. Perhaps not your definition, but it doesn't make it any less true. Even people who come from places with lots of rock stars and as such know exactly what it is and therefore can accurately identify it don't deny it. Which is what I find so unique and utterly refreshing about him given the culture he was born and raised in, and his family being more reserved than the average Japanese family what with the way they shun the limelight. I love how despite all that, they let him be who he is when he's on the ice.

So even if LGC wasn't Prince through and through, he sure as hell was able to put his own spin and interpretation into it that's no less rock-starish to me and to most who are truly seeing him. Maybe he's less flamboyant and glam but to me, he exudes a sharper and more masculine coolness than the image prince had projected. But it's very glam in its own right and as someone who listens to Prince and watches his videos, I find it both Prince and Yuzuru Hanyu all at once. A very nice combination, indeed. And one of the biggest reasons why I became captivated by him, despite having a lot if misgivings about men's figure skating in general. 

But if the opposite of all the above is your perspective, *shrug* sure, keep it. I personally think maybe you and your grandma are so busy trying to see what's not there, that you couldn't see what *is*. Anyway,  we've all got to have our own unique perspectives that we prefer stick to when we can't be convinced of otherwise, and every right to have it. :) Even if it's controversial and conflicting with others. But only so long as it doesn't involve murder or denial of basic human rights. So yours is still valid. ;)

What is this Asian stereotyping going on over here, I disapprove. As a very Asian Asian - south Asia is Asia, surprise! - I totally disapprove. Being restrained in certain contexts is part of most cultures, and those contexts might be different in different Asian cultures than in different Western cultures. Neither of which is a monolith and has many different cultures, btw.

For instance, come to a funeral here and I'll show you unrestrained emotions on a scale you'd probably never see in a Western culture in that context - screaming, wailing, sobbing, beating chest, completely uninhibited exhibition of grief and despair.

Come to a young people's concert here and I'll show you unrestrained enjoyment, from the stage to the stage hands.

Come to a traditional festival celebration and I'll show you absolutely unrestrained - to the point of demolishing boundaries - revelry. 

Could we please keep up the absolutely fabulous environment and feeling here that doesn't rely on labels or stereotypes? 

As for Yuzu being too Asian for LGC... Well, as an Asian who has friends and family who perform rock music on stage, some for money and some simply for the passion of it, I've to go whaaaaa! My subjective opinion is that he rocked it, even taking the rockstar bravado as far as to make that face after just barely somehow landing the 4Lo in the GPF! From that step sequence onwards, he was completely rockstar. 

As for H&L being too nuanced...I'm on record as not being able to watch it without crying, so I guess I got a lot of those nuances just fine.