General Yuzuru Chat

I know Japan doesn't have the long skating tradition like Russia, USA or Canada but they are definitely a big and I would say quite powerful federation. Even more in the future years I think since the japanese public bring the big money at the events. 

1 hour ago, Yuazz said:

The story may be different if he was from one of the big federation. But for me, it's more interesting that yuzu was from not so influential federation. Even in Japan he was from Sendai, not so big for skating club. Right? He's coming as nobody and now he's a big star, without media hype. He become a big star pure because his talent and achievement. I'm still amazed by the fact that Japanese gold medalists in figure skating, men and ladies both were from Sendai. 

Thanks to that, his life is so dramatic. :smiley_hairpull: We sometimes question if he is real :LOL:

1 hour ago, wpisces said:

Yeah, everything about him ( talent, popularity...) has been slowly built up from year to year. He had never been labelled "prodigy" in early years like Yagudin, Plushenko, Mao... When he was a novice skater, nobody knew him. When he became Worlds Junior Champion in 2010, nobody expected him to grab gold 4 years later in Sochi. Even after winning Worlds bronde medal at the age of 17, he wasn't hyped up like Mao Asada or Marin Honda. But what he has accomplished is even more than what a so-called prodigy could ever achieve.  

Yuzuru was already noticed by some after winning everything including junior worlds that season. Also by the time of his bronze medal he definitely caught the eyes of many thinking he was going to be a strong contender, maybe he wasn't "hyped" but he definitely was noticed and this is why I saw many negative responses to his coach changing to Orser, as these people thought he was killing his potential, etc. They were wrong thankfully.

4 minutes ago, Hanmgse said:

I know Japan doesn't have the long skating tradition like Russia, USA or Canada but they are definitely a big and I would say quite powerful federation. Even more in the future years I think since the japanese public bring the big money at the events. 

I think what they mean is JSF's influence still cannot compare to the three other big feds. and Yuzu is from Sendai not from Nagoya. So, JSF does not hype him:facepalm: Not really a lot of benefit on scoring

5 minutes ago, SSS said:

I think what they mean is JSF's influence still cannot compare to the three other big feds. and Yuzu is from Sendai not from Nagoya. So, JSF does not hype him:facepalm: Not really a lot of benefit on scoring

I also find it curious that both gold medalists are from Sendai, really cool!. Even so I think JSF has done in general a good job with Yuzuru but well I don't know much about that lol.

18 minutes ago, Hanmgse said:

I also find it curious that both gold medalists are from Sendai, really cool!. Even so I think JSF has done in general a good job with Yuzuru but well I don't know much about that lol.

No comment on what JSF has done. but Sendai is definitely a special place...what happened a month ago is still like a dream to me...

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

Thank you! I'm sure it'll be crazy and I might not even manage to get close enough to see him lol But it's more the idea of being part of his city celebrating him that I love. I have a deep-seated hate of selfie sticks, but I'll see what I can do lol.

I got some zunda cookies when I went to Sendai, but didn't get to try anything else. I loved those, though, so I'll definitely try that if I find it! I feel like trying a full meal of Sendai food, with gyutan and such as well... we'll see if I dare lol And of course, visit the fully renovated Ice Rink Sendai... So much to do, so little time lol

I saw those zunda cookies but didn't get to try them, I even got zunda kinoko chocolate biscuits and gyutan chips - the kinoko chocolate biscuits were good but the gyutan chips were too sweet for my taste. I tried gyutan from two different places in Matsushima and found I prefer it when it's sliced thinner, so if you're unsure about trying it, find a place that serves it thinner and it pretty much just tastes like tender beef.

I went to the new Ice Rink Sendai right after Pyeongchang and it's nice, there's a nice display of fan messages in the front entrance and the new exhibit hall but it said no photos for that area or inside the rink. If you've never been, the tourist center will advise you to take the bus but I actually got there by taking the subway and walking which is much more frequent than the bus. It was maybe a 20 min walk (I walked from Yaotome station, but walked to Izumi-chuo station to head back to Sendai station). If you plan to buy any of the goods at the rink be sure to bring cash as they don't take credit card (I had to walk to the 7-11 around the corner to get cash to buy the keychains/gloves I wanted).

Spoiler

1 hour ago, wpisces said:

Yeah, everything about him ( talent, popularity...) has been slowly built up from year to year. He had never been labelled "prodigy" in early years like Yagudin, Plushenko, Mao... When he was a novice skater, nobody knew him. When he became Worlds Junior Champion in 2010, nobody expected him to grab gold 4 years later in Sochi. Even after winning Worlds bronde medal at the age of 17, he wasn't hyped up like Mao Asada or Marin Honda. But what he has accomplished is even more than what a so-called prodigy could ever achieve.  

Oh but he was! Not by the whole Japan, of course, it wasn't Nagoyan skater, but the love Sendai has had for skating ever since Nagano Olys where three-fourth of FS reps were Sendai-originated has stayed and naturally transferred to Yuzu, ESPECIALLY with Shizuka pointing out that Yuzuru is an unusual skater with the whole flexibility stuff (even if she's not from the main skating city, you cannot disregard an Olympic Champion's opinion completely xD)

Also, I'm kind of 50/50 about him not being hyped after Nice, bc on one han the struggles of the Great Three definitely got more coverage, and the international FS community interviewed by JPN media also usually placed Dai-chan above him, on the other hand, he was the 'uprising threat to the ace/uprising prodigy' depending on if the media was aimed to be released only inside or also outside of the country (VS dram for insiders but for outsiders WATCH! We have TWO dangerous competitors!), AND again, all of the interviewed for one show in, I think, 2012/13 season DID put Yuzu on the Sochi podium, just not for the gold (I seriously should have bookmarked that goddamn vid T.T)

Also let's be real, though I'm opening pandora box here, he WAS at one point overscored...for a total of  three comps(and he was fully aware of it, lol) after Olys in 13/14, and in the GPS 14/15 (where it was like 100% understabable and I will fight anybody saying otherwise. By Barcelona judges were their usual 'And none for Hanyu' selves though). 

23 minutes ago, Hanmgse said:

Again I'm 50/50 on JSF statement? 

Because they definitley do more for their Nagoya skaters and Marin, even though Yuzu is a poster FS child as much as she is, but on the other side, I doubt Yuzuru would be pleased if they randomly started pushing him, blowing his scores through the stratosphere. I would be angry, mostly because they're already skyhigh with "just" Yuzu's skill, and he would probably go back to Planet Hanyu if they made them even higher. Sure, they could have thought about additional guards instead of letting JOC handle that, for the most recent example, or actually make more to relieve him from the pressure of the only good skater in Japan (sorry, Shoma, you're doing your best), like idk, actually acknowledging that Nagoya isn't the only place where talent gets born and acknowledge Juniors from other regions as well, and support their other skaters more (even though in recent Social Media discussion I followed, somebody pointed out that Japan is doing practically the most for their skaters without putting as much pressure on medals gained like Russia, USA and others, but that might be because of the high level of ice shows and needs for as many good pro skaters as possible), but overall I think Yuzuru doesn't need their babysitting and now is too late to start doing that, so the best they can do is leave him alone while fullfilling their obligations to him as Japanese skater? Idk, I'm rambling at this point.

Max pointed out how the only gold medallists were also working with foreign coaches at the time of getting their golds once, but I don't think it's that relevant, seeing how every Olympic medallist Japan has had had a period of training abroad...except for Shoma, unless we count his Chicago trips. So yeah, Sendai has pieces of micro gold in the air, and that's why their skaters are also not afraid of sparkles.

To sum my rant up, I should be doing an explanatory piece on orientalisms in my language but I'm procrastinating by discussing Yuzu, instead of channeling him to be a proper student...

11 minutes ago, Aotoshiro said:
  Hide contents

Oh but he was! Not by the whole Japan, of course, it wasn't Nagoyan skater, but the love Sendai has had for skating ever since Nagano Olys where three-fourth of FS reps were Sendai-originated has stayed and naturally transferred to Yuzu, ESPECIALLY with Shizuka pointing out that Yuzuru is an unusual skater with the whole flexibility stuff (even if she's not from the main skating city, you cannot disregard an Olympic Champion's opinion completely xD)

Also, I'm kind of 50/50 about him not being hyped after Nice, bc on one han the struggles of the Great Three definitely got more coverage, and the international FS community interviewed by JPN media also usually placed Dai-chan above him, on the other hand, he was the 'uprising threat to the ace/uprising prodigy' depending on if the media was aimed to be released only inside or also outside of the country (VS dram for insiders but for outsiders WATCH! We have TWO dangerous competitors!), AND again, all of the interviewed for one show in, I think, 2012/13 season DID put Yuzu on the Sochi podium, just not for the gold (I seriously should have bookmarked that goddamn vid T.T)

Also let's be real, though I'm opening pandora box here, he WAS at one point overscored...for a total of  three comps(and he was fully aware of it, lol) after Olys in 13/14, and in the GPS 14/15 (where it was like 100% understabable and I will fight anybody saying otherwise. By Barcelona judges were their usual 'And none for Hanyu' selves though). 

Because they definitley do more for their Nagoya skaters and Marin, even though Yuzu is a poster FS child as much as she is, but on the other side, I doubt Yuzuru would be pleased if they randomly started pushing him, blowing his scores through the stratosphere. I would be angry, mostly because they're already skyhigh with "just" Yuzu's skill, and he would probably go back to Planet Hanyu if they made them even higher. Sure, they could have thought about additional guards instead of letting JOC handle that, for the most recent example, or actually make more to relieve him from the pressure of the only good skater in Japan (sorry, Shoma, you're doing your best), like idk, actually acknowledging that Nagoya isn't the only place where talent gets born and acknowledge Juniors from other regions as well, and support their other skaters more (even though in recent Social Media discussion I followed, somebody pointed out that Japan is doing practically the most for their skaters without putting as much pressure on medals gained like Russia, USA and others, but that might be because of the high level of ice shows and needs for as many good pro skaters as possible), but overall I think Yuzuru doesn't need their babysitting and now is too late to start doing that, so the best they can do is leave him alone while fullfilling their obligations to him as Japanese skater? Idk, I'm rambling at this point.

Max pointed out how the only gold medallists were also working with foreign coaches at the time of getting their golds once, but I don't think it's that relevant, seeing how every Olympic medallist Japan has had had a period of training abroad...except for Shoma, unless we count his Chicago trips. So yeah, Sendai has pieces of micro gold in the air, and that's why their skaters are also not afraid of sparkles.

To sum my rant up, I should be doing an explanatory piece on orientalisms in my language but I'm procrastinating by discussing Yuzu, instead of channeling him to be a proper student...

Thanks for your insight, I didn't write anything about overscoring since I didn't want to open a "pandora box" like you wrote it :laughing:. But yes everything can be discussed.

14 hours ago, Aotoshiro said:

example, or actually make more to relieve him from the pressure of the only good skater in Japan (sorry, Shoma, you're doing your best), like idk, actually acknowledging that Nagoya isn't the only place where talent gets born and acknowledge Juniors from other regions as well, and support their other skaters more (even though in recent Social Media discussion I followed, somebody pointed out that Japan is doing practically the most for their skaters without putting as much

14 hours ago, Aotoshiro said:
  Hide contents

I was referring general figure skating community and media, not JSF alone. I can see there's so much hype around "prodigies" such as Alexandra Trusova, Stephan Gogolev ( many have declared them 2022 Olympic Champions), Nathan Chen (there used to be Mao, Plushenko... ). They are incredibly talented and have caught attention since they were little. I also saw how Japanese media treated Marin Honda as new Japan's figure skating ace after her winning World Junior. Yuzuru after winning World Junior and Worlds bronze was far from being hyped up like that but see what he has achieved now? That's why I said his talent and his popularity had been built up little by little. Personally, I think it's very good for him. About JSF, I do think they have strategies for skaters once they see potentials in these skaters but I don't know much about them so I have no comment.