General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, robin said:

Sounds like recycled news to me? He was def asked abt Beijing in the days after his win and he replied something like that if my memory isn't failing me (I mean.. what else is he supposed to say)

Yeah. Basically he was sort of tricked by media into having to say if he might compete at Beijing because it's not enough for people that he got two gold medals, he must now get 3!!!!!! *rolling my eyes to the heavens* So he went noncommital, saying maybe or if he does, he'll go to win.

If Zu doesn't go to Beijing, I'd be content to hear commentators now have to say "No one has won OGM back to back in men's figure skating since Yuzuru Hanyu did it in 2014 and 2018". :biggrin:

If Zu goes to Beijing, he will win, and then the comment will sound similar, but with "three consecutive OGM" instead. :biggrin:

I have a question, indeed, it is one that I've thought about for some time.  Just who is in Yuzu's inner circle?  I know no Japanese so I'm unable to read the articles about him and by and large the media here in the US are not interested in the private lives of any athlete who's not performing under the Stars and Stripes.  What I've been able to figure out is wholly the product of watching  Yuzu interacting with others, primarily by looking at the body language.  So here's my list and remember I'm only conjecturing here.  I think in Japan his closest friend is Nobu and it seems to be a friendship that goes back quite some years.  Shoma, I think, is moving into Yuzu's circle and I think will progress from being puppy to being good friend.  Of non-Japanese Javi comes first but Javi has remarked in interviews that he and Yuzu don't associate very much off the ice.  Of others not from Japan I have a strong feeling that Misha is probably Yuzu's closest friend since they often stay near each other in unscripted moments of galas and ice shows.  The remarks of some on the forum have made me start seeing Boyang also as a person moving into Yuzu's circle.  Of course no one knows whom Yuzu associates with away from the ice.  Some descriptions made of him hint that basically he's somewhat of a loner, which is quite ironic given his unflapping amiability when dealing with the media and the public.  Those are the only ones in my view who have a relationship with Yuzu that is founded on real friendship rather than being fellow skaters.  If I err please let me know.

29 minutes ago, micaelis said:

I have a question, indeed, it is one that I've thought about for some time.  Just who is in Yuzu's inner circle?  I know no Japanese so I'm unable to read the articles about him and by and large the media here in the US are not interested in the private lives of any athlete who's not performing under the Stars and Stripes.  What I've been able to figure out is wholly the product of watching  Yuzu interacting with others, primarily by looking at the body language.  So here's my list and remember I'm only conjecturing here.  I think in Japan his closest friend is Nobu and it seems to be a friendship that goes back quite some years.  Shoma, I think, is moving into Yuzu's circle and I think will progress from being puppy to being good friend.  Of non-Japanese Javi comes first but Javi has remarked in interviews that he and Yuzu don't associate very much off the ice.  Of others not from Japan I have a strong feeling that Misha is probably Yuzu's closest friend since they often stay near each other in unscripted moments of galas and ice shows.  The remarks of some on the forum have made me start seeing Boyang also as a person moving into Yuzu's circle.  Of course no one knows whom Yuzu associates with away from the ice.  Some descriptions made of him hint that basically he's somewhat of a loner, which is quite ironic given his unflapping amiability when dealing with the media and the public.  Those are the only ones in my view who have a relationship with Yuzu that is founded on real friendship rather than being fellow skaters.  If I err please let me know.

I think a lot of it depends on how you define friendship.

The ones whom Yuzu is probably closest to, if we think typical friendship, are Keiji and Ryuju, mostly because they've known each other and been friends since novice days. That said, even Keiji said Yuzu doesn't do hanging out away from the rink. So if he does hang out with anyone away from the rink, it's probably non-ice skating friends.

I'm not sure Nobu is a friend in that typical way. I doubt they meet much away from ice shows or when Nobu's at events as a commentator. That said, they obviously get along great and Nobu does care about him a lot and I'm sure that's reciprocated.

Yuzu and Javi I could probably talk about for hours. My take is still that their bond is mostly based on all the stuff they have in common, including a deep love for skating, not taking it for granted, having to fight for it and then climbing to the very top of figure skating together. No one but the two of them can understand what that was like and so that's a bond they don't share with anyone else. (I was thinking the other day it might be the kind of bond pair skaters or ice dancers have, only with the added factor of actually NOT having someone with you on the ice when the time comes to do your best. Which would be another thing they both know - and Yuzu's fierce support by the boards might be part of it, by this theory.) Is that friendship? Again, it depends how you define it. In a way, I guess Javi was right. It's more of a camaraderie than a friendship, but probably the emotional connection itself is stronger than with all of the other friends. Which would be why it was Javi he clung to as he cried. I can't imagine him breaking down in anyone else's arms like he did with Javi.)

Misha... he's great, too. He also obviously cares for Yuzu. I'm not sure Yuzu sees him as that close a friend, but who knows, really? Maybe he does. (I think my doubts also stem from the fact that neither seems to have a great grasp of English - which is particularly surprising of Misha, for me, but I often find myself frowning as I can't understand what he's trying to say - so it makes me wonder how they understand each other, if discussing serious stuff; Javi and Yuzu I'm sure had a language barrier, too, but Javi's English is still pretty easy to understand, meaning wise; whether he understood Yuzu or not is a different issue ^_^; ).

Beyond that, it's obvious Yuzu gets along well with many skaters, including, more recently Boyang. Jun-hwan as well. In the past there was Nam - we haven't had a chance to see them interact recently - but also there was a lot of fooling around with Denis and Jason and such. Alex, also. Recently Ondrej. Evgenia, to some extent, if we go beyond just guys. Before that, Kanako. But I'm not sure how many of them I'd call friends. Maybe casual friends. Have fun together friends. But not sit down and have serious conversations friends.

As for Shoma, I think Yuzu saying Shoma is more like a puppy is actually quite accurate. Yuzu sort of took Shoma under his wing and from early on seemed to make it part of his mission to teach Shoma about how things are done in the worldwide FS world and basically get him to loosen up and interact more. And I'd say to some extent he's managed that. But that's more sempai-kohai behavior, than friendship. And I personally am not sure they will ever be really friends. But again, who knows? They obviously get along well and respect each other, so it doesn't matter that much anyway.

Oh and I also don't think being a loner away from the ice is a contradiction to his friendliness on ice. One can be a loner and still be friendly, especially if they don't have to be friendly all the time. But I think the bigger thing is that up until now, at least, Yuzu's entire life was dedicated to figure skating. And that's something he probably didn't have in common with anyone else, since even many skaters also have other things. But for him, everything was about skating. So there wasn't much of a chance for anything beyond that. Whether that will change from now on and how, we'll see.

6 hours ago, turquoiseblue said:

– Everything. Including Hanyu’s second Olympic gold. I had no idea how things would go at the Olympics. Everything was not spinning around his performance, but around his ankle. I kept in mind that he should not stay without legs before the season ends. Believe me, if the doctors gave us a green light in regard to the World Cup, Yuzuru would come to Milan, it’s not in his rules to skip competitions. But the break between this two competitions was too small to have time to recover without risking his further career, no matter in what form. Perhaps that’s why Hanyu is in no hurry with the decision about his future career. He wants to heal his leg first. As soon as this happens, he will be able to skate for a very long time.

lets go crazy when he arrives like the president again shall we ci :tumblr_inline_mfy92hO4sm1qid2nw:

I am reading the English translated version of an epic Japanese biographical novel entitled "Taiko" about Toyotomi Hideyoshi, a famous samurai feudal lord of the mid to late 16th century who brought an end to a century and a half of civil war. He is one of three great men who brought about the unification of Japan. The other two men are his predecessor and liege lord, Oda Nobunaga (who is an ancestor of the skater Nobunari Oda) and Tokugawa Iyeyasu.

The following paragraph could have been written about Yuzuru Hanyu and it reminded me that all great people share certain characteristics:

" The more dangerous the situation and the deeper his hardships, the happier he became. It was the happiness that arose from surmounting adversities and being able to turn and see them behind him, and he had experienced it to greater and lesser degrees since the time of his youth. He himself claimed that the greatest happiness of life was to stand at the difficult border between success and failure."

4 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I think a lot of it depends on how you define friendship.

The ones whom Yuzu is probably closest to, if we think typical friendship, are Keiji and Ryuju, mostly because they've known each other and been friends since novice days. That said, even Keiji said Yuzu doesn't do hanging out away from the rink. So if he does hang out with anyone away from the rink, it's probably non-ice skating friends.

I'm not sure Nobu is a friend in that typical way. I doubt they meet much away from ice shows or when Nobu's at events as a commentator. That said, they obviously get along great and Nobu does care about him a lot and I'm sure that's reciprocated.

Yuzu and Javi I could probably talk about for hours. My take is still that their bond is mostly based on all the stuff they have in common, including a deep love for skating, not taking it for granted, having to fight for it and then climbing to the very top of figure skating together. No one but the two of them can understand what that was like and so that's a bond they don't share with anyone else. (I was thinking the other day it might be the kind of bond pair skaters or ice dancers have, only with the added factor of actually NOT having someone with you on the ice when the time comes to do your best. Which would be another thing they both know - and Yuzu's fierce support by the boards might be part of it, by this theory.) Is that friendship? Again, it depends how you define it. In a way, I guess Javi was right. It's more of a camaraderie than a friendship, but probably the emotional connection itself is stronger than with all of the other friends. Which would be why it was Javi he clung to as he cried. I can't imagine him breaking down in anyone else's arms like he did with Javi.)

Misha... he's great, too. He also obviously cares for Yuzu. I'm not sure Yuzu sees him as that close a friend, but who knows, really? Maybe he does. (I think my doubts also stem from the fact that neither seems to have a great grasp of English - which is particularly surprising of Misha, for me, but I often find myself frowning as I can't understand what he's trying to say - so it makes me wonder how they understand each other, if discussing serious stuff; Javi and Yuzu I'm sure had a language barrier, too, but Javi's English is still pretty easy to understand, meaning wise; whether he understood Yuzu or not is a different issue ^_^; ).

Beyond that, it's obvious Yuzu gets along well with many skaters, including, more recently Boyang. Jun-hwan as well. In the past there was Nam - we haven't had a chance to see them interact recently - but also there was a lot of fooling around with Denis and Jason and such. Alex, also. Recently Ondrej. Evgenia, to some extent, if we go beyond just guys. Before that, Kanako. But I'm not sure how many of them I'd call friends. Maybe casual friends. Have fun together friends. But not sit down and have serious conversations friends.

As for Shoma, I think Yuzu saying Shoma is more like a puppy is actually quite accurate. Yuzu sort of took Shoma under his wing and from early on seemed to make it part of his mission to teach Shoma about how things are done in the worldwide FS world and basically get him to loosen up and interact more. And I'd say to some extent he's managed that. But that's more sempai-kohai behavior, than friendship. And I personally am not sure they will ever be really friends. But again, who knows? They obviously get along well and respect each other, so it doesn't matter that much anyway.

Oh and I also don't think being a loner away from the ice is a contradiction to his friendliness on ice. One can be a loner and still be friendly, especially if they don't have to be friendly all the time. But I think the bigger thing is that up until now, at least, Yuzu's entire life was dedicated to figure skating. And that's something he probably didn't have in common with anyone else, since even many skaters also have other things. But for him, everything was about skating. So there wasn't much of a chance for anything beyond that. Whether that will change from now on and how, we'll see.

In regards to his off-ice friendships, we can o Lu speculate but I’ll say what I think his relationships are like with his fellow skaters. 

Regarding Javi, I think it’s more of a comraderie as you said built off striving for the same goal and a feeling of empathy and sympathy because they both have a front row seat to the struggles that each of them have faced. They respect each other, but it’s not the type of relationship where they probably talk about non-skating things or hang out casually. 

For others like Misha and Nobu, I think he actually chats online through Line or other apps with them. Nobu it seems like they have an ongoing chat (Nobu mentioned once they were in one with Kanako and Akiko once I believe). Misha hunter that he sent a long message to Yuzu during his recovery process off ice leading to the Olympics which leads me to believe they message each other somewhat regularly. 

As for non-skater friends, I don’t think we’ll ever find out about them as he’s pretty private. 

can we take a moment to enjoy the interaction between GHISLAIN and Yuzu please ?

this is the first time we see a lot of GHISLAIN and he is so wholesome , loving and fun ! Pulled a ninja selfie with Yuzu ! I love his genuine and warm smile !

Admins , could we please have an emoticon of GHISLAIN ? Thank you so much !!!