General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, theblingmonster said:

Random question: I hear people say that Yuzu has beautiful lines and beautiful edges, what exactly does that mean? Does it mean he skates on his edges well? And that his body, er, extends well? :facepalm: :laughing:

I would think that his extension with his arms or legs are aesthetically pleasing to watch , they look natural and graceful , not awkward or forced , balletic or not .

His edges are great meaning his blades lean very close to the ice at extreme aCiUTE:laughing: angles ( deep edges ) which require great skills and balances 

that is what I understand from a layman point of view 

hope it helps :glasses:

17 minutes ago, theblingmonster said:

Random question: I hear people say that Yuzu has beautiful lines and beautiful edges, what exactly does that mean? Does it mean he skates on his edges well? And that his body, er, extends well? :facepalm: :laughing:

the-real-xmonster (on tumblr) has a good post about lines. It's all about your personal preference, but great turnout (of the hips and foot) and extension (locked knees, held for enough time to appreciate it, a "photo moment" if you will), core strength and posture are important to me :biggrin:

http://the-real-xmonster.tumblr.com/post/164125880179/aaaaand-this-is-probably-staring-me-in-the-face

4 hours ago, Summer said:

GP spots are assigned. Different feds have their own preferences.
I believe skaters can make requests too. Many years it was believed that a WC gold medalist gets to choose first, a silver medalist second and a bronze medalist gets what's left. Something like that can still be going on like suggested last autumn by Vladimir Morozov:  
Q: Are you satisfied with Grand Prix you got?
Vladimir: Yes, but before the distribution the situation was complicated. Two stages were chosen by the Chinese, then by the Germans, and for us what remained.

http://fs-gossips.com/evgenia-tarasova-and-vladimir-morozov-we-always-wanted-to-be-the-first/

In Helsinki WC Japan had two men on the podium. Only one of them could get NHK and the Japan Fed chose Hanyu. I believe that he also wanted it as he seems to enjoy performing in front of a home crowd.

Last I checked, the only known rule for assignments is that Feds can choose skaters for their events first, 1-3 place finishers cannot meet in the GPSeries, same with 4-6 places (so for example 1 can meet with 4 or 5 or 6, but not with 2 or 3), and max of three skaters/pair from one country can take part in one event (so we won't have six Japanese Ladies in NHK, that would be second bloodbath Nationals:tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:). Oh, and that Feds can request specific events on behalf of their skaters, but it's not always granted. Rest is ISU voodoo.

1 hour ago, theblingmonster said:

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

the-real-xmonster (on tumblr) has a good post about lines. It's all about your personal preference, but great turnout (of the hips and foot) and extension (locked knees, held for enough time to appreciate it, a "photo moment" if you will), core strength and posture are important to me :biggrin:

http://the-real-xmonster.tumblr.com/post/164125880179/aaaaand-this-is-probably-staring-me-in-the-face

I was going to link the exact same post on lines xD

Edges also mean that you have a very good control of your movement on the ice-for example DEEP Edges held for a long time are what Patrick Chan's skating is all about basically. Yuzuru's edges are more of the 'unearthy beauty but blink and you'll miss them with their speed' type for me-it's not that they're not as deep as Patrick's or anything, but he makes you take them for granted with how quick he is to go from ridiculously deep inside to even deeper outside edge. Or holds himself basically parallel to the ice pretending it's absolutely natural state for human being on the ice, see his spread eagles in literally any bird program of his/Chopin:

Just for nerds like me's information, it's close to impossible for most people to reach this near-perfect 45 degree angle on land, while not balancing on 4mm edge.

Also, landing of his perfect 3A. Just, landing of his 3A. This should be the picture poppig once you type 'deep edge' in any search bar.

10 hours ago, dotsquare said:

If that's true, somewhere there's VR footage of a wild Yuzu appearing and sticking his head in towards the camera :13877886:

It's a crime that this hasn't surfaced yet :tumblr_inline_ncmifdw7151rpglid:

4 hours ago, xeyra said:

BTW, I have now realized Yuzu broke all superstitions about wearing gold at the Olympics. He had it everywhere, from costumes to floofy blade covers, and still no jinx hit him for it. He also broke the no men's World Champion wins the Olympics and the no repeat Champion curse. Maybe the Seimei and numberology things were too stronk for any other jinxes. 

Maybe a bit OT, but didn't he say that he doesn't believe in superstitions or rituals since he broke some of them and all went fine? I think that's very healthy, because i know how debilitating these things can be (i competed in showjumping for some time, and my "rituals" costed me a win several times since it didn't let me focus when i wasn't able to do them). Idk, as an athlete myself (albeit on a much lower level), i just think it's admirable to be able to let go like that and trust in your training. It's something i've always wished i could do.

10 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

hands down the most accurate

and it seems like this act is not new :rofl:

Curious George Yuzuru

This meme will be the death of me i swear :10636614:

4 hours ago, theblingmonster said:

Line in dance refers not only to the silhouette or outline that the body creates (lines of the body) but also to the way the silhouette or outline of the body consumes the space around it (lines of movement). It is both the shape created by an extended limb and the way the limb consumes space as it extends outward.

This is an excellent post with dance gifs that explains what line means in dance.

It should be noted that "good line" can mean different things in different forms of dance when referring to the lines of the body in space and this depends on the aesthetics of each dance form. In ballet, the legs must be turned out, the back straight, the arms and fingers extended as in port de bras, the head, neck and shoulders placed according to epaulement (example). Contemporary or modern dance allows the body to extend whichever and whatever way it can to create any shape it wants. Turnout is not required and the torso is not a frame but a tool for expression and can be stretched, twisted or curved (example; another example). In ballroom, line refers to the shape the couple creates together, not only to the individuals, so it includes the frame and the position of their bodies and limbs relative to one another (example).

However, I've found that no matter the form of dance, "good line" when referring to the lines of movement means consuming as much space as you can. It means movement starts from the center and then continues all the way outward to each of the extremities - from the neck to the top of the head, from the arms to the tips of the fingers, from the legs to the feet to the toes.

So when people say Yuzu has beautiful lines, it is not only because he has good extension in his head, torso and limbs but also because he finishes his movements from the top of his head to the tips of his fingers.

1 hour ago, YH7892 said:

LOLOL wtf is this program omg, it's truly like the Hanyu Uncle Fanboy Congressional Session or something, it's hilarious :xD:

Ueda-san and his uncle bros are just thoroughly impressed, you can tell by the way they all make those 'ehhhhh' and 'iyaaaaa' sounds and shaking their heads, it means the JP ojisans like you a lot : P

Quick summary (usual disclaimer: my Japanese is not the best, probably some mistakes here, they speak really fast at times so I can't hear properly and also there's a bunch of inside jokes that flew over my head so I just left them out lol)

• Ueda: Honestly, I saw [the NHK injury]. For a bystander's perspective, it was a situation of 'there's no way he can make it in time'. He was off for 2mths. He also only had 3wks of training and he probably couldn't train a lot. It was like there was no way he could make it in time and it seems like Ueda heard that from quite a few people around him
  • "But one week earlier, from Canada's skate rink, I heard he was jumping quads. I was like 'are you serious?' The way he got the information (the 'route' he literally says) was also amazing. It was not Hanyu-senshuu's coach but a coach who taught another skater in the same rink. That coach told someone in Japan and that person in Japan told me. And that person in Japan was the teacher who taught me [Ueda] to skate on 'Bakabon' (a program, I assume)." 
  • Ueda also greeted Daisuke and Shizuka at Pyeongchang during Kodaira Nao's event, and asked about Yuzu's condition, they said, 'He's pretty much returned. honestly he's not at 100% but it seems like he can do it.' And even then Ueda said he thought 'REALLY? TRULY???' but after the shocking short program, Ueda was like 'really...this person's mentality...is.........WTF IS IT. It was truly unbelievable.'
  • There's been a lot of talk about the '[XYZ Athlete] Age' eg. the Hanyu Age, the Otani Age' named after prominent leading athletes and Ueda always thought it was the Otani Age even though there were people saying different things, but after seeing Yuzu, in an instant, he was like 'it's the Hanyu Age.' :knc_yuzu1::knc_yuzu1::knc_yuzu1:
  • Ueda also complimented Yuzu's politeness - 2/3hrs after everything when they were preparing for Ueda's interview, Yuzu was getting his mic put on and Ueda was like 'oh please sit, please sit' and Yuzu said 'Ueda-san, please go ahead and sit down' (very politely/considerately).
  • They also noticed that Yuzu had noticed Javi not having a Spanish flag the first round so Yuzu told Shoma they'd do a round w/o their flags first, also they noticed Yuzu being very attentive to cameras on the podium and turning around to face all the photographers 
  • Ueda: 'Hanyu-kun just has no faults'
  • [they break off on this joking tangent for awhile about how one dude went to multiple Olympics, witnessed multiple gold medallist wins and basically said 'I won the gold with them' lmao...it's hard to explain/translate so just ignore the section from 6:05 ~ 7:15]
  • At Sochi, there were a lot of JP fans but they were mostly Takahashi fans and they were yelling 'Dai-chan, Dai-chan' so at the time, Yuzu's popularity wasn't quite there. This time it was just ENTIRELY YUZURU'S FANS. He commented on Pooh rain - it was all from 'Pooh-san's Honey Hunt???' (idk what that is but one dude made a pun like 'it was Pooh-san's Hanyu Hunt' and was really proud of himself lol)
  • One of them even commented on the fact the camera zoomed out from Pooh-san's face when Yuzu was returning to the K&C
  • Glasses white hoodie oji-san commented on how on the TV you can see the closeups of the face but even from far away, he was impressive; they comment on how his performance ability really struck their hearts...it's all very fanboy-y
  • 9:23 - Glasses white hoodie oji-san was like 'ahh.......Hanyu-kun won't come on this show [Ueda Channel] would he?' and Ueda nearly does a spittake and then starts laughing abt how he should appear with a bunch of funny guests to up the contrast
  • Ueda says he really wants Yuzu to go on variety shows, he told Yuzu in Sochi, 'come on Oshareism' and that he didn't have to come on Shabekuri 007 because there's the thing named Oriken there (one of his co-hosts if I recall correctly, Ueda's roasting Oriken LOL) but Yuzu at the time said 'I want to come and see Shabekuri 007'. The other day, Ueda talked about it again only briefly with him this time but Yuzu gave the smiley scrunchy 'mmmmmm no' face (at 10:55 - Ueda does a HILARIOUS impression bc I know that EXACT FACE lmfao)
  • They ruminate on Yuzu going on variety some more, mention Mao-chan hasn't been on there either, Ueda says the biggest reason is obviously bc Yuzu is in Canada most of the time and then there's another round of 'wow he's amazing isn't he..... [for...training in Canada I guess LMFAO]'

ANYWAY, who says yuzu's fanbase is all middle aged mums, his gigantic collection of gushy uncle fans is nothing to laugh at