General Yuzuru Chat

@Yolo3a: I think you meant to say "silly". (Yuzu's use of 'baka' is best translated as "she's so silly").

@yude: Thanks for all the quotes from all these other athletes. I'm a fan of many of them, so it's great to hear that they all admire Yuzu. 

Good athletes in solo sports where you compete against yourself (FS, gymnastic, archery, shooting etc) have hearts and heads made of steel. There isn't a physical opponent in front of you. Your performance comes down to split seconds. If you fail, there is only yourself to blame. No team mates, no external factors. This mental battle differs from person to person. Some are just so blissfully ignorant and can zone out anytime. But Yuzu is so incredibly attentive to details, so outgoing and eloquent, that his mental battle must be ten times more difficult. With all that, to come out on top in GFP 2015, and then AGAIN in PC 2018, he is truly an immortal. His mental strength is outrageous. If champions are made of steel, then he is made of diamond.

I hope some psychologist will do an in-depth study of him, for us mortals to look up to.

This is a while ago, but I just love the analogy

http://the-real-xmonster.tumblr.com/post/171635324499/hi-alice-just-wanna-squeal-about-your-description

Shoutout to Alice the-real-xmonster. (I remember seeing your handle name here once but I forgot - sorry!) I totally agree: of these analogies with physical things, his story is most attractive precisely because he is a walking, breathing human, with outbursts of emotions like all of us. We can only resort to super relatives and comparisons because we lack words to describe him.

2 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

When you really see just how difficult that programme is! Alien. Unbelievable. Is he really for real real? 

Actually, one day compare Yuzu's back sit spins to the back sit spins of other men. His are a bit lower, a lot of other men sit higher than 90 degrees on their back sit spin.

2 minutes ago, Xen said:

Actually, one day compare Yuzu's back sit spins to the back sit spins of other men. His are a bit lower, a lot of other men sit higher than 90 degrees on their back sit spin.

His skate over the head spin is now not quite over the head. Is he not as flexible as he used to be? I was wondering if that ankle has been bothering him since the injury before this last one, for the last two seasons he's not been pulling it over his head like he used to. 

1 minute ago, WinForPooh said:

His skate over the head spin is now not quite over the head. Is he not as flexible as he used to be? I was wondering if that ankle has been bothering him since the injury before this last one, for the last two seasons he's not been pulling it over his head like he used to. 

Probably a bit of that-most men tend to lose their bielmann's spin over time. He has been losing it slower than the other men.

I forgot where, but someone said that you can watch whether or not he does the bielmann spin to tell if he plans to Yolo, since it takes a lot of energy to do it well. Bielmann's spin (and spirals) are not just about flexibility, there's a LOT of thigh/butt/leg/upper back strength involved. I tried to hold that position once with friends helping me push my leg up so I could grab it-honestly, flexibility was the last thing I worried about. It was just so taxing to hold my leg in place, my glutes, thighs and upper back were screaming.

1 minute ago, Xen said:

Probably a bit of that-most men tend to lose their bielmann's spin over time. He has been losing it slower than the other men.

I forgot where, but someone said that you can watch whether or not he does the bielmann spin to tell if he plans to Yolo, since it takes a lot of energy to do it well. Bielmann's spin (and spirals) are not just about flexibility, there's a LOT of thigh/butt/leg/upper back strength involved. I tried to hold that position once with friends helping me push my leg up so I could grab it-honestly, flexibility was the last thing I worried about. It was just so taxing to hold my leg in place, my glutes, thighs and upper back were screaming.

Oh yes, it looks all smooth and effortless but holy shit, it's incredibly difficult. I tried on land. I shall not be trying again because I like being able to walk without yelping.

And this might be a little sacrilegious, but I prefer how Plushy grabs his skate for the doughnut spin. Yuzu dips down a little to get it and then pulls it straight. Plushy just reaches back at the perfect height and grabs his skate, without that slight butt sticking up moment. 

12 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Oh yes, it looks all smooth and effortless but holy shit, it's incredibly difficult. I tried on land. I shall not be trying again because I like being able to walk without yelping.

And this might be a little sacrilegious, but I prefer how Plushy grabs his skate for the doughnut spin. Yuzu dips down a little to get it and then pulls it straight. Plushy just reaches back at the perfect height and grabs his skate, without that slight butt sticking up moment. 

On the other hand, he at least has a round doughnut spin. Watching junior men's, I dreaded how many flat doughnuts we had. I'm not sure what's the properly name for that spin, but it's not pretty, and most are not even folded over enough to sell it. What should we call it? Crepe spin? Eclaire spin? It has to be a flat type of sweet thing to go with the doughnut theme.

Also, check out Yuzu's broken leg spin,  the position is pretty low and he sticks his leg out straight.

4 minutes ago, Xen said:

On the other hand, he at least has a round doughnut spin. Watching junior men's, I dreaded how many flat doughnuts we had. I'm not sure what's the properly name for that spin, but it's not pretty, and most are not even folded over enough to sell it. What should we call it? Crepe spin? Eclaire spin? It has to be a flat type of sweet thing to go with the doughnut theme.

Also, check out Yuzu's broken leg spin,  the position is pretty low and he sticks his leg out straight.

Oh yes, once he has his skate, his doughnut spin is great. And that way of catching his skate, it's just how he's been doing since his junior days. The not-quit-doughnut could be a macaron - slightly curved, but not round.

I love his broken leg spin. It must take a lot of strength to hold that position, too. 

20 hours ago, eagle said:

Actually even the full title "Continues with Wings" is a bit off English wise. Yuzuru chose the theme himself its ok.

I wouldnt, for the sake of my job and company's reputation, lol. Maybe sthing like 'Soar higher, breakthru(refering to the 66 yrs thingy) .'' Or 'Soar with wings, no limits/conquer the universe/limitless possibilities' .

Then use the 2X and 66 yrs , maybe 2018 to make some cute hashtag.

If its a company, along the lines of 'Passion. Connected' for Olympics is expected. The promo vid was 'People, Possibility, Power, Peace. Passion- Connected' Thats it, 5P and 1C. 

Oh for sure, I can think of a bunch of better ways to convey the sentiment but if Yuzuru Hanyu approached you and was insisting on the title because it was personal to him and he had spent a long time thinking about it... I doubt anyone would be interested in changing his mind, especially because tickets selling out is really not the problem when it comes to him, nor is raising awareness since the media report on every tiny update lol (sadly they don't seem that interested in marketing outside Japan)

2 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

I was wondering the same thing the other day while rewatching his sp at the Olympics! He touches his skate to his forehead more frequently now, but actually iirc he did a lot of nice ones for LGC? He did a really great one at 4cc last year! I think it's just that he doesn't do it /all the time/. And at the beginning of this season, he had that knee pain, right? I forgot which leg tho... But he uses his left skate to do that, so I'm not sure about the ankle injury being the reason as to why he didn't do it at oly's, but who knows?? I'm still curious if it stems from discomfort on injuries as you mentioned or if it's flexibility. Or maybe just that he doesn't feel he needs to do the full stretch if he at least gets the idea across? Though yuzu doesn't seem the type to do the bare minimum or half-ass anything so... :13877886: