General Yuzuru Chat

6 hours ago, micaelis said:

I've had a couple of responses to my contention that Yuzu would want something spectacular to set the pace for next season, thinking it might be a command of all six quads.  The responses basically said that Yuzu's holding of two Olympic golds, two World Championships and sundry others were enough to make the case for him.  My own reasoning was based on the fact that he wanted PC to be a 'landslide', he wanted to bury his opponents in much the same way he had done so in NHK and GPF 2015, and indeed I think his choice of Seimei and Chopin, his two most successful programs, was for him a means to precipitate such a desired landslide.  It didn't happen that way and while Yuzu's public statements afterward said he was satisfied with the result (who wouldn't be, after all, he won it, didn't he?) I think inside he wasn't satisfied.  I remember statements he made on more than one occasion some time ago where he talked of being the 'absolute champion'.

He said he was more satisfied with his Olympics FS than anything else he has ever done, any other competition he has ever skated in, any world record he has made (NHK 2015 and GPF 2015 where he skated badly injured too or his perfect Worlds 2017 FS). That's a powerful statement.

I distinctly remember he said that he couldn't have landed those 2 jumps he stepped out on, that that was the absolute limits of his ankle at the time- hence why he has no regrets.

6 hours ago, micaelis said:

I think of those and I am personally convinced that Yuzu is consciously pursuing becoming the GOAT (though not telling anyone about it). 

I agree and disagree...I don't think he's explicitly pursuing becoming the GOAT but should he fulfill his skating ideals and goals, he will become the undeniable GOAT.

I can't think of an example where someone who became the GOAT did so with the goal of becoming the GOAT. It just happens. When an individual has the talent, drive, commitment and competitiveness to challenge what people believe is possible in a sport, then it happens. Michael Jordan didn't think about his stats or his legacy. He wanted to win. As many games as possible, as many titles as possible and in doing so, he challenged the possibilities of how to get a basketball into a hoop. In a league dominated by big men, he changed the status quo, the belief that only centers could dominate scoring in basketball. Kohei Uchimura did it with his goal of robotic perfection. Perform any routine on any apparatus perfectly, so perfect that even in slow motion, every toe is pointed properly and every position held perfectly. Yuzuru will do it by wanting to push the boundaries of what is technically possible in figure skating and in doing so push what is artistically possible with his philosophy that technique is for the sake of art.

36 minutes ago, Fresca said:

I can't think of an example where someone who became the GOAT did so with the goal of becoming the GOAT. It just happens. When an individual has the talent, drive, commitment and competitiveness to challenge what people believe is possible in a sport, then it happens. Michael Jordan didn't think about his stats or his legacy. He wanted to win. As many games as possible, as many titles as possible and in doing so, he challenged the possibilities of how to get a basketball into a hoop. In a league dominated by big men, he changed the status quo, the belief that only centers could dominate scoring in basketball. Kohei Uchimura did it with his goal of robotic perfection. Perform any routine on any apparatus perfectly, so perfect that even in slow motion, every toe is pointed properly and every position held perfectly. Yuzuru will do it by wanting to push the boundaries of what is technically possible in figure skating and in doing so push what is artistically possible by using technique for the sake of art.

well said, made me think of a quote I saw on Twitter today

Yuzuru wouldn't be who he is if he only had title accumulation in mind, it's the greatness of his vision and the blood, sweat and tears he pours into wrenching the impossible into reality that makes him exceptional; the titles are almost a byproduct and I think as long as he's willing and able to keep chasing after that vision, as long as that vision keeps growing and changing as he grows and gets closer to it, we will keep being surprised again and again. For however long it'll be, it'll be a blessing to witness.  

Thanks so much, @kaeryth! I was looking for this too.

I got confused between this one and the other NHK documentary that everyone bashed (the one aired just before the Olympic, feature Shoma eating stakes etc).

Edited: @kaeryth: the video doesn't work for me (it says private content...) Any clues?

Btw, I really admire those of you who don't speak Japanese at all yet still watch all of these documentaries unsubbed. (Livestream even!)

That's DEDICATION guys! :clap:

4 minutes ago, wingman said:

May I ask how does the streaming party work? (What are we watching exactly...?)

usually it's streamed via rabb.it, where everyone can join and watch a playlist of videos (usually with a theme) and with a chat on the side so we can crycomment together :peek:

13 minutes ago, wingman said:

Thanks so much, @kaeryth! I was looking for this too.

I got confused between this one and the other NHK documentary that everyone bashed (the one aired just before the Olympic, feature Shoma eating stakes etc).

Edited: @kaeryth: the video doesn't work for me (it says private content...) Any clues?

Btw, I really admire those of you who don't speak Japanese at all yet still watch all of these documentaries unsubbed. (Livestream even!)

That's DEDICATION guys! :clap:

They might've set their DM account to private so you can't watch from there directly but you can watch it while on twitter.

13 hours ago, xeyra said:

Did the news talk about the fake bids? What was their take on it?

The guy said that it had some fake bids, but it was a great result and they are in debt to Yuzu.

He had some comment about the amount being the most something ever, but I missed the key kanji.. :headdesk2:

It wasn't explicit in the news segment (or I missed it), but they said that this is "Hanyu's favorite pair of boots that made history". I wonder if they are the pair of boots he wore at the Olympics? Anyway, retail price is ~ 700USD.

And, oh, Samantha Thavasa's stock price hasn't gone up yet... maybe we should buy some? :pouty:

28 minutes ago, wingman said:

@kaeryth: the video doesn't work for me (it says private content...) Any clues?

15 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

They might've set their DM account to private so you can't watch from there directly but you can watch it while on twitter.

If you click play on the video (via the tweet) and then click on the description that shows up underneath it'll take you to the (playable) DM page :9: