General Yuzuru Chat

The sample size is small, but it's nice to know Yuzu has a positive image - coming across as smart being one of them (not that he isn't, he totally exudes in his speech and answers, but how the public view somebody can totally be out of the individual's control sometimes).

That Samantha brand that bought his boots are savvy - they managed to donate to charity and also associate themselves with Yuzu without having to sponsor him.

wow the Yuzu effect

1. Samantha thavasa

Good job to invest under Yuzu's name :snpeace:

Btw I hope some staff takes pic of him with 2 OGMs quick, plssss. I'm afraid when the Oly hotness is over we might never get a chance to see 2 of them tgt as he won't show them up on TV anymore :Poohgaveup:

I wouldn't be surprised if, after/if he gets the 4A stable, he'll decide to get 4F as well. Brian saying that means nothing, since Brian also said no 4Lz this season :P. But right now, I'm sure he's not thinking about it and why would he? In many ways, he's done. He doesn't really feel he has anything left to prove - and rightfully so - I think, so everything he does now will be for himself, for pleasure, for enjoyment and for personal challenge. If the world likes and appreciates it, fine, and if they don't, just as fine. He's in it for fun now, most of all - or that's what he seems to be saying and what I hope for - with no more external pressures. And THAT I think is why we might still see truly mindblowing things. Because Yuzu having fun is more likely to produce amazing stuff than Yuzu stressed and pressured. See the Seimei choreo sequence at Olys or Parisian Walkways in Sochi (although he was nervous then, but was able to ignore it and just have fun).

11 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

The sample size is small, but it's nice to know Yuzu has a positive image - coming across as smart being one of them (not that he isn't, he totally exudes in his speech and answers, but how the public view somebody can totally be out of the individual's control sometimes).

That Samantha brand that bought his boots are savvy - they managed to donate to charity and also associate themselves with Yuzu without having to sponsor him.

I think despite the sample size, it's far more impressive because it's Tokyo University which is one of the top universities in Japan (together with Waseda, Keio... I'm not sure about the current ranking, but I think generally, getting into any of this is a :knc_yuzu1: thing, that's how good they are. So for their students to think Yuzu is a genius (not just smart, but a genius) is pretty big, too. (That said, is Sanma that smart? I've never had a great impression of him... but I've also never really watched him lol)

And Samantha Thavasa... I will now spend all day with Yutaka Takenouchi's voice in my head, saying "Otsukare Samantha Thavasa" (which his character in JDrama BOSS usually said) :1:

1 minute ago, KatjaThera said:

(That said, is Sanma that smart? I've never had a great impression of him... but I've also never really watched him lol)

I'm not sure they necessarily meant intellectual genius, perhaps more people with a genius talent? I love the guy, though, he cracks me up, even when I can't understand everything he's saying. :biggrin: Language barriers don't matter when someone is naturally hilarious. I highly recommend watching the vs Arashi SP he was on. My whole body hurt from laughing! 

1 hour ago, micaelis said:

This autumn he has to prove himself which means he has to come up with something that is far above what any other skaters are doing.  A 4A would be a good starter but not a guarantee.  A SP and FS which in combination use all six quads would be sufficient to make a dazzling statement.  A

We all say that our Zu is extra, but I'd like to point out that he is not delusional or crazy. And also, he is not a kangaroo. 

Personally, he doesn't have to make a statement ever. He has 2 OGMs that does that for him. And he doesn't have to prove a point anymore. He would skate for the joy of it and honestly, as much as 4A is his personal baby love, I don't think he feels so strongly about the flip or having jumped all 6 quads. Maybe that could be his motivation after the 4A. But i think not so soon and certainly not on his debut next season. 

17 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

I'm not sure they necessarily meant intellectual genius, perhaps more people with a genius talent? I love the guy, though, he cracks me up, even when I can't understand everything he's saying. :biggrin: Language barriers don't matter when someone is naturally hilarious. I highly recommend watching the vs Arashi SP he was on. My whole body hurt from laughing! 

Good point, I forgot the Japanese don't always use genius literally lol And I'll check that out, then :) (I admit Japanese comedian humor often leaves me :waffle: rather than :LOL:, but that's just personal taste lol So I've rarely sought it out myself lol)

Just now, KatjaThera said:

Good point, I forgot the Japanese don't always use genius literally lol And I'll check that out, then :) (I admit Japanese comedian humor often leaves me :waffle: rather than :LOL:, but that's just personal taste lol So I've rarely sought it out myself lol)

:5a7ce9d358326_offtopic1:

(A good rule is to check that they're not signed with the Yoshimoto agency before wasting your time. :biggrin: I find most comedians from any country pretty awful but there are always a few who are worth watching.)

37 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I wouldn't be surprised if, after/if he gets the 4A stable, he'll decide to get 4F as well. Brian saying that means nothing, since Brian also said no 4Lz this season :P. But right now, I'm sure he's not thinking about it and why would he? In many ways, he's done. He doesn't really feel he has anything left to prove - and rightfully so - I think, so everything he does now will be for himself, for pleasure, for enjoyment and for personal challenge. If the world likes and appreciates it, fine, and if they don't, just as fine. He's in it for fun now, most of all - or that's what he seems to be saying and what I hope for - with no more external pressures. And THAT I think is why we might still see truly mindblowing things. Because Yuzu having fun is more likely to produce amazing stuff than Yuzu stressed and pressured. See the Seimei choreo sequence at Olys or Parisian Walkways in Sochi (although he was nervous then, but was able to ignore it and just have fun).

I think despite the sample size, it's far more impressive because it's Tokyo University which is one of the top universities in Japan (together with Waseda, Keio... I'm not sure about the current ranking, but I think generally, getting into any of this is a :knc_yuzu1: thing, that's how good they are. So for their students to think Yuzu is a genius (not just smart, but a genius) is pretty big, too. (That said, is Sanma that smart? I've never had a great impression of him... but I've also never really watched him lol)

And Samantha Thavasa... I will now spend all day with Yutaka Takenouchi's voice in my head, saying "Otsukare Samantha Thavasa" (which his character in JDrama BOSS usually said) :1:

1) good strategy on Samantha Thavasa's part. They got me checking them out on Amazon JP, and I may consider buying something when I need a bag or wallet switch. Though I'm failing at locating the pooh wallets (those look nice and are one of the few non-pink items).

2) Agreed about the 4A-->4F bit. We don't know what his full goals are for the future, and for all we know, the boy might decide to go get all the quads, since he's um, not too far from it. He's only not landed a 4A and 4F in competition yet, with 4A being in-progress.  I'm not sure I fully buy the no-external pressure though; external pressure will always exist, simply because he's 2-time OGM, and people still view him as a "goal" to obtain (or beat in competition). But so long as he views skating as a true joy,  and has fun, then I'll be happy.

I was watching Yuzu's Asaichi interview, where they chatted about the blue bird on this R+J costume.

He seems to hint that it's his designer signature (but didn't reveal it). Wonder who that might be..?

Edit: I'm cross-posting on the Costume thread, so as to not distract the passionate chat about 3A/4A/new rules etc that follows...

53 minutes ago, Yolo3a said:

We all say that our Zu is extra, but I'd like to point out that he is not delusional or crazy. And also, he is not a kangaroo. 

Personally, he doesn't have to make a statement ever. He has 2 OGMs that does that for him. And he doesn't have to prove a point anymore. He would skate for the joy of it and honestly, as much as 4A is his personal baby love, I don't think he feels so strongly about the flip or having jumped all 6 quads. Maybe that could be his motivation after the 4A. But i think not so soon and certainly not on his debut next season. 

lol Not a kangaroo. :xD:

Sometimes when even his fans talk about him, I feel like I'm watching the real life figure skating life story version of this ad. Shifting goal posts, like... Not even subtle anymore.

Spoiler