General Yuzuru Chat

11 minutes ago, ruruzest said:

Hi there, welcome to the Planet!

irc, commentators seem not to be able to say Yuzuru’s name correctly so Yazuki maybe what they callled him :hachimaki:

All kinds of Western media, usually. Yuzuri, Yazuru, Hanro...

But Yuzuki also has a slightly different history. It involves Yuzu doing partof an ice show wearin a skirt, his female alter ego, a potential twin, and much more. :biggrin: It did all kind of make sense at the time.

6 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

@Hydroblade Do it.

:sadPooh:it's on the other side of the country, very expensive and you have to know how to skate 💔💔💔 (which wtf, that place is very hot and humid why do they have ice rinks and we do not?!!!)

5 hours ago, Floria said:

We shouldn't be greedy. We got our miraculous 2nd OGM, nothing can top this. And he will take back his title next year. 

I will feel the same way I feel about the last two jnats 

5 hours ago, yuzuonice said:

yeah there was this pic with him and KNB manga.

po5xiwrlx2ocan3bg475tthggumbyzzt_hq.jpg

To be honest, I wonder what other mangas/animes he is into... please release these info to us Yuzu, we just want to throw merch at you!! :peekapooh:

Aaaaåaah my heart 💔 that's so cute!! 

I was watching that feet-focused video of Chopin and, hot damn, boy does turns all over the place for fun. What even is this alien overlord.

ETA: So he basically took a break from recovering from injury to, oh, I dunno, just defend his Olympic gold medal. 

Again. What even is this ExtraTM alien overlord.

54 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Guy gives his much-ridiculed fans a lot to be proud about. I saw quite a bit of mean-spirited wishes from non-fans hoping he'd fall or lose not because they had anything against him (not exactly) but they wanted it to happen simply out of spite for his fans whom they felt were obnoxious (which admittedly some of us can be a little but no reason to wish ill on an innocent and hardworking athlete cos of that). Now that he's gone and done us proud instead, and we've pretty much gotten the last laugh (which is funny cos I remember seeing more crying than laughing), I don't see fans spiting right back (in the same media I saw the spite being directed at us anyway...dunno about other more cesspooly parts of the interwebz), something I feel the guy himself can be proud about. :)

One thing amused me during this Olympics was that a person in Japanese media who had been a bit cynical toward Yuzu and Yuzu fans in Japan, who had been persistently trying to give them a nickname many of them didn't really like has changed his attitude completely after he saw Yuzu's free skating live in PyeongChang. He cried a bit after that and suddenly became very serious when he talks about Yuzu. The show hosted by him started putting their focus more on discussing the technical side of figure skating than other fluffs like fans fangirling etc. :68468287:
I don't know how long he will be that way, but it was still nice to see he changed his view, and it happened because of Yuzu's performance.

22 分, sweetwaterさんが言いました:

One thing amused me during this Olympics was that a person in Japanese media who had been a bit cynical toward Yuzu and Yuzu fans in Japan, who had been persistently trying to give them a nickname many of them didn't really like has changed his attitude completely after he saw Yuzu's free skating live in PyeongChang. He cried a bit after that and suddenly became very serious when he talks about Yuzu. The show hosted by him started putting their focus more on discussing the technical side of figure skating than other fluffs like fans fangirling etc. :68468287:
I don't know how long he will be that way, but it was still nice to see he changed his view, and it happened because of Yuzu's performance.

Well, if they decide to award him the National People's Award thingy and he chooses to accept (it's a 50-50 toss up with this dude), wouldn't it be rude to make fun of him, and by extension his fans (cos that would be indirectly making fun of him), in Japan?

But whether or not he ends up with it, I think his pretty dominating and history-making second straight win despite a long absence and still-healing injury has pretty much shut up most skeptics with any sort of standing in Japanese society for good. Cos I would think the backlash for it now would be incredible otherwise.

Would you mind divulging which used-to-be-a-cynic personality you were referring to? I wanna know if one of the many post-PC programs I saw was his.

New program?  Old program remodeled?  As much as there are some programs from the past, sometimes distant past, that I'd very much like to see again, I think considering the time shortening and jump limiting, Yuzu would do better to go with a pair of completely new programs.  Since he often does the music editing himself I think the very act of doing the mixing for a shortened program will get his creative juices focused on the positive aspects of the new duration, particularly since, according to him, he is often laying out a broad choreographic structure of his own before consulting with a choreographer.  Kurt Browning, in a remark he made one day about choreographing Yuzu, said that Yuzu is good because he actually listens to what the choreographer has in mind, which implies that Yuzu already has done a lot of work in sketching out a sequence of moves.  I think for Yuzu working with a choreographer involves initially letting the choreographer know what his thoughts are and then the choreographer shows and tells him the possibilities Yuzu's ideas have for further development.  It becomes a back-and-forth cooperation.  That is I think why Yuzu's programs are so good.  They aren't so much constructed as they are evolved.

As for another reason to go for the new, I think Yuzu has to see himself as starting afresh.  We're now into a new Olympic cycle.  If he's going for a threepeat he needs to focus on the future rather than the past.  He did not recycle any of his pre-Sochi or Sochi programs after 2013/14.  He started afresh with Chopin and Phantom.  He needs to do the same here.  Exactly what kind he should do, I  think at this point he should look for somethings non-Japanese, in order to put the past to rest.  That doesn't mean he won't do anything Japanese in later seasons, but he has to clearly differentiate what he's doing now from what he's done in the past, particularly the most recent past.  The problem for Yuzu though is that his programs' musical styles are so broad that it will be hard to come up with music that one can't say 'been there, done that' in terms of style.  I do think I'd like to see for his long program something over the top in drama, like RJ1 or Phantom.  Seimei's virtues are it's elegance and understatement.  He doesn't need that so soon again.  He needs something violently passionate.  Movies offer plenty of musical opportunites.  I wish he were into Tolkien.  There's lots of good music in LOTR.  But that's my own inclination.  There have to have been movies (specifically non-Japanese movies) he's really gotten into.  He should go to those since he's already 'invested' emotionally into them.  I think, though, that it is necessary that he gets music that's off the beaten path, since if the music is well known the audience might already have expectations of how he should skate to it.  He needs the audience to 'discover' the music through him, rather than remember it through him.

What is particularly hopeful to me, though, is that his treatment and rehab means that he will have to be doing a lot more thinking about what he has to do before he gets out on the ice and starts doing it.  We have to remember that the rehab does not involve total absence from the ice, but rather a gradual working up to full training mode, how gradual being dependent on how his ankle is coping.  Slight signs of trouble - slow down or pull back.  No problem showing - move to the next level.  What this means is that as things evolve to the point where Yuzu is not simply training, but actually starting to practice specific programs for competition, he will be doing so with a full sense of what the programs need to accomplish.  One thing working to Yuzu's advantage if he should decide to go to Beijing is the fact he's already been through TWO Olympic cycles.  Nobody currently alive has ever entered an Olympic cycle with two consecutive gold medal cycles already under his belt.  For Yuzu it is definitely a case of 'been there, done that, time to do it again'.

2 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Yep, that was me. And I did check out the transcript. I've edited my original post with my thoughts after reading it. I still don't quite get why he made the leap to it but I guess it's mainly cos I never actually got to see the full breadth of these mocking fan coverage you mentioned. I could only link it to what I do know which is fanvids. And I never doubted it. With your revelation, though, I think I can now sort of see why he said that, if they also cover those who don't get to see him live in comp (which I suppose now makes more sense than fanvids) and he was doing his part to defend his fans. :) Most of all, I can now watch fanvids again. I've never been more glad to be wrong, lol. Thank you!

(I'm now mighty curious about these shows that offer up inaccurate representation of his fans though...I think if I saw one or two, I'll finally really get what he's trying to convey back there.)

I’m catching up on all the footage so I haven’t had a chance to watch this press conference, but just reading the bits translated and this talk about whether he meant tv specials about his fans or fan made videos when he talks about the fit of the music got me thinking. TV Tokyo followed @Danibellerika And I at the Olympics and included us in their short TV segment about fans and it was interesting to see what did and didn’t make the cut, and how certain things were edited. 

When I saw the segment it was definitely made to be more humorous than I expected (although I enjoyed laughing at it all since it was exaggerated for humor on purpose and I probably have an odd sense of humor), a lot of the questions they asked us didn’t make it onto TV. They also very deliberately edited in footage of my tears after he was announced the winner while I was in my seat INTO scenes of Yuzu skating Seimei to make it seem like I was crying while he was skating. I know they were fishing for tears as they asked us during the SP if we cried and I told them specifically that I save any tears for after the free as I’ve learned my lesson.  This makes me wonder if Yuzu meant he notices the odd cut and splice into they do with their footage on fans. Perhaps he’s noticed sometimes their background music doesn’t fully match the video they show because it actually has been edited in. 

24 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Well, if they decide to award him the National People's Award thingy and he chooses to accept (it's a 50-50 toss up with this dude), wouldn't it be rude to make fun of him, and by extension his fans (cos that would be indirectly making fun of him), in Japan?

But whether or not he ends up with it, I think his pretty dominating and history-making second straight win despite a long absence and still-healing injury has pretty much shut up most skeptics with any sort of standing in Japanese society for good. Cos I would think the backlash for it now would be incredible otherwise.

Would you mind divulging which used-to-be-a-cynic personality you were referring to? I wanna know if one of the many post-PC programs I saw was his.

Spoiler

Seiji Miyane of Miyaneya and Mr. Sunday. Miyaneya invited former competitive skaters and Olympians as guest commentators to analyze what Yuzu has done in PyeongChang spending so much airtime. I think I have a few recordings of Miyaneya aired during Olympics but haven't rewatched them because their discussions were all so long.

2 分, sweetwaterさんが言いました:
  Reveal hidden contents

Seiji Miyane of Miyaneya and Mr. Sunday. Miyaneya invited former competitive skaters and Olympians as guest commentators to analyze what Yuzu has done in PyeongChang spending so much airtime. I think I have a few recordings of Miyaneya aired during Olympics but haven't rewatched them because their discussions were all so long.

Spoiler

So it *is* this dude. His program was one I've never seen in all the programs I've seen that featured Hanyu on the internet. Guess seeing the performance and witnessing the victory live must have left an impact. He even cried, didn't he? Guess he must now be able to empathize. >_< He should know the feeling even better than me, even, given I've never seen Hanyu skate in person before even in a smaller setting, never mind the Olympics.

https://figure-skating-confessions.tumblr.com/post/171611125169/yuzuru-hanyu-is-an-amazing-skater-and-all-but

“Yuzuru Hanyu is an amazing skater and all but honestly, he is SO overrated and all of his costumes lowkey look the same.."

:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

okay but in all seriousness, the "overrated" part I can sort of see where they are coming from. Yuzu's fandom proportional to every other figure skaters is just ridiculously huge and there are many other amazing skaters who don't get nearly enough recognition unfortunately.

But the costumes thing had me :rofl: esp given they used a Chopin picture and just.... LOL 

16 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

https://figure-skating-confessions.tumblr.com/post/171611125169/yuzuru-hanyu-is-an-amazing-skater-and-all-but

“Yuzuru Hanyu is an amazing skater and all but honestly, he is SO overrated and all of his costumes lowkey look the same.."

:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

okay but in all seriousness, the "overrated" part I can sort of see where they are coming from. Yuzu's fandom proportional to every other figure skaters is just ridiculously huge and there are many other amazing skaters who don't get nearly enough recognition unfortunately.

But the costumes thing had me :rofl: esp given they used a Chopin picture and just.... LOL 

Wow, that kinda makes that entire comment not that credible...?

His costume style might not be your cup of tea, but at least it's never boring...