General Yuzuru Chat

5 hours ago, raebia said:

I will go to Ravenna!:)

5 hours ago, SydneyH said:

Same I need to do some visit planning now lol :laughing:

Guys.. if you want some accompany to go around and if our destination coincides, I am up for it, I will be going to Italy alone. Would love to spend time with you guys to gush over Yuzu and celebrate his Olympic win. :10636614:

2 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Tbh, Yuzuru's musicality is something I have yet to see in another skater, both male and female. Feels like he's one of the people who, when listening to a piece of music, have to walk to the beat, do everything to the beat, and when he moves with the music you can see it's not the choreography that's "imposed" to him, but it's a feeling from within that motivates each movement. 

(Aaaah such a wonderful musician he would have been... better as an athlete though, he's finish competition soon with music lol) 

I've said much the same before but it bears repeating.  Yuzu, with a few additional inches and with training started early, would be a world-class ballet dancer today.  I see him in the same class as Nureyev and Baryshnikov, both of whom I've seen in performance.  He has the memory for movement,  the musicality and the dedication.   It's that musicality which is not merely icing on the cake, as with so many others who mechanically react to the music, it's the cake itself.  Some years ago I was working on a novel which had as its lead a young, uber-talented ballet dancer who was dancing professionally at the age of fourteen.  He's taking his driver's test on his sixteenth birthday and he says to the examiner while gesturing down the length of his body, "I want my body to sing."  That is precisely what Yuzu is doing at his best.  The only skater today who approaches Yuzu in that respect is Shoma, but Shoma's range is limited.  Yuzu can do rock and classical, piano and symphonic, in short his versatility is across the musical board.   If you look at the range of things he's done over the years you can see that Yuzuru is not only a skater, not only a dancer, but like a highly-skilled actor he can handle any kind of choreographic role he's handed.  Similar remarks have been made about highly talented inidividuals in other fields, sometimes inappropriately, but with Yuzu it is absolutely appropriate - Yuzu is a skater's skater.

3 hours ago, micaelis said:

In looking at Yuzu and Stephen at TCC we should not forget that both of them began training there at roughly the same time.  True, they were definitely different ages but they were both essentially strangers in a strange land (I'm not sure exactly when Stephen's family moved from Russia to Canada, but Stephen was seven years old when he began training with Brian).  So the two of them, wildly disparate in age, were united by the fact that they were from cultures different from that which they found in Toronto.  Since they were working at different levels when they arrived - Stephen, we must remember, was only seven but I also think he must have shown something very very special for Brian to undertake training him at such a young age - in any case we have to realize that Yuzu and Stephen have been part of each other's lives since they first arrived at TCC.  I doubt there was ever any really close relationship at first but as Stephen moved into competition and began moving up in terms of the levels at which he was competing, I would not be surprised if he didn't start seeking out Yuzu for advice on how to handle things, and by that I don't mean skating skills, but coping with situations as they arrive.  We should not forget that Yuzu was very much a prodigy as he rose on the international circuit.  He was just fifteen years of age when he won the World Junior Championship, as also the Junior Grand Prix and everything else he was in that season.  Stephen is also a prodigy and if he needs anybody to give him advice and reassurance and to do so from having been through all of that himself, I can't think he'd find anybody better than Yuzu, particularly taking into account Yuzu's essential generosity. 

Basically I see Yuzu reacting to Stephen's example as a goad not to match him in jumping but to make Yuzu work hard on other aspects of his skating.  A quad Axel might be his apparent goal, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind getting a PCS of 50.00 or 100.00 and if anybody is ever going to do that my money would be on Yuzu.  That is the core of what I think Stephen's presence will have in affecting Yuzu.  Thinking that because his age is taking a greater toll on his body he just can't keep up with a jumper like Stephen he'll pursue a strategy of making himself into a perfect Complete Skater, maxing his GOEs and PCS, making himself the Absolute Champion he once was talking about.

It's hard for me to draw any conclusions or make any assumptions about Yuzu's relationship with Stephen because we have seen absolutely no interaction between them. Unless we count Stephen falling right in front of Yuzu during that Seimei runthrough during the open day, where Yuzu didn't really look particularly... anything. I know people thought he seemed fond or amused, or, alternatively annoyed. To me he just looked like "oh... someone fell". Just observing without thinking or feeling anything in particular. Of course, that doesn't mean anything and everything you said could be true. But we just have no proof of it whatsoever. I also think being 7 in a new country - assuming Stephen hadn't been there longer - and being 17 in a new country are completely different things. I'm not sure how much culture shock a 7 year old can have. But who knows...

As for PCS, I don't think Yuzu aspires to perfect PCS scores as a goal, because he surely knows best that it's virtually impossible, the way judging is these days. He does aspire to doing programs that meet his own standards of artistry, but I'm not sure he'll care that much about scores from now on. Of course, in the process of that, the scores should follow, but maximising PCS and overall scores was a big point in the goal for a second OGM. I'm not sure it'll matter as much from now on. He's said it himself, he's pretty much reached the maximum for PCS, aware that it's unlikely judges will ever give him more. That's why he needed the TES increase, hence 4Lo and 4Lz.

i want a girl skater as good as zagitova or evgenia to go to TCC to train with Yuzu. He must be so lonely there. Maybe Rika Kihira? I really wnt a japanese skater to accompany his training cuz hes always inside his house other than training which makes his social life in Toronto less interesting. It would be nice if Yuzu was personally close with someone in TCC

I don't think anybody has mentioned this in regards to the health and injury issue facing Yuzu, - Should he or shouldn't he compete at Milan?  There is one incident Yuzu experienced several years ago that I think might have great influence with Yuzu as he makes his decision, and that is the literally last-minute withdrawal and forced retirement from competition by  Yuzu's idol, Yevgeny Plushenko, due to severe back problems, just as the short program competition was about to begin at Sochi.  He was there.  He saw it all, and the fact that Plushenko was his idol made it even more meaningful.  That incident, I feel, might have a decisive influence on Yuzu as he does not want to suffer the same fate.  Not that it would necessarily happen in Milan, but in aggravating his current injury he might be laying the groundwork for a similar experience for him in the future.