General Yuzuru Chat

13 minutes ago, Lambari said:

Saw this and I thought it was interesting. Thoughts from a chinese person living in Japan about how people there may perceive the femininity in Yuzuru's skating. 

http://doramaticbites.tumblr.com/post/171551859613/to-the-japanese-hanyu-may-not-be-gnc

This is a wonderful read, I think I've only had someone brought up this perspective once a friend who used to teach in Japan, but this is the first time I've seen someone elaborate on this more, good stuff :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

12 minutes ago, Anony said:

lScg21Q.jpgthe bidding has slowed down for now but I can't believe it's still going up...

update: we're officially at 35M :13877886:

Truly impressive!! Tbh I thought it wouldn't reach 10 million lol

2 hours ago, Lambari said:

Saw this and I thought it was interesting. Thoughts from a chinese person living in Japan about how people there may perceive the femininity in Yuzuru's skating. 

http://doramaticbites.tumblr.com/post/171551859613/to-the-japanese-hanyu-may-not-be-gnc

Thank you for the interesting read. =)

Actually what is amusing is last weekend, a couple male rinkmates were talking about which skaters they viewed as "feminine" and which skaters they viewed as "masculine." For these guys, Yuzu is not feminine. He always had movements that stuck and worked well with the music, so his movements and expression were considered graceful, and gentle, but not necessarily feminine.

And going back to what the article said, the "arts" was never considered fully masculine or feminine in Chinese confucian culture. Similar to japan, public performances of the arts was a right given to males traditionally. Gracefulness, regalness, gentleness is not something exclusively given to females or considered feminine; rather, it was simply an expression of your professionalism in the arts. Hence, a male actor can be utterly "feminine" (by western standards) when performing, but it would not be considered part of his sexual/gender identity. It would simply be considered a "professional" and responsible representation of his craft. There is nothing that would be inferred to him as a person directly.

Another way to even view gender identity, to a degree, is to think of the tai-chi symbol. There is a bit of yang inside the ying part, and ying inside the yang half. Also, under confucian and even taoist principles, the scholarly, polite, diginified gentlemen took dominance over the soldier/general/warrior class. In Chinese history, bueraucrats and scholars were considered "higher" than generals, and most nobles or large estate families were from the scholar class, not the general class of western history.

8 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

http://the-real-xmonster.tumblr.com/post/171575443804/i-just-came-across-someone-who-said-yuzus-spread

lol i love real-xmonster!  :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: I identify with her indignation at the thought that anyone could call Yuzu's spread eagles ugly SO MUCH!! :4:

I saw the ask and laughed because it was as if I wrote it. I showed the same disbelief on here earlier. I think the person who asked probably saw the same comment I did. Thank goodness for Alice.