General Yuzuru Chat

23 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Demand skyrockets for sweets, masks and sports goods popularized by Japan’s Olympic athletes

A flu mask also attracted attention after it was worn by figure skater Yuzuru Hanyu, who won gold in the men’s singles event at the Pyeongchang Olympics.

The 2018 version of the mask starts from ¥21,600. Although the product is unusually expensive for a flu mask, 2,000 people are currently on a waiting list to buy it. The company is unable to keep up with the pace of orders, even though workers are giving up their holidays to produce more masks.

Amazing and all but I can‘t believe fans are spending all that money on a mask they don’t need :1:

29 minutes ago, robin said:

Amazing and all but I can‘t believe fans are spending all that money on a mask they don’t need :1:

I read somewhere that the mask was very efficient and good for your health. Japanese also wear masks regularly, so at least it's a better investment than mosy things. I always wish my country made wearing masks to prevent sickness and to stop from spreading it a norm.

28 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

I read somewhere that the mask was very efficient and good for your health. Japanese also wear masks regularly, so at least it's a better investment than mosy things. I always wish my country made wearing masks to prevent sickness and to stop from spreading it a norm.

Same here. I would love to wear a mask when I’m sick or don’t want to be sick and not be stared at like I’m about to rob a bank.  :3:

3 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Then what the hell motivation is there for me to become super rich enough to join TCC and sit in the sippy sippy area to watch practices? Toying with my life, here! :tumblr_inline_mfy930ntA01qid2nw:

Yeah that was what I was thinking too LOL.  I also thought TTC keeps it quite private but when I saw that there is some sort of restaurant area beside the ice rink in the videos, I wanted to ask just in case it is possible /usual to be able to watch :)  I did feel hesitant that it may invade Yuzu’s privacy a bit.

Thanks everybody for your warm welcomes!  And thanks to those who post and translate stuff.  

Many pages back someone said that they think Yuzu’s popularity will become much bigger and more international and I couldn’t agree more; I am a good example of that!  I really hope Yuzu stays around for a few more seasons because I have missed so much.

4 hours ago, holina said:

Hi everyone, I am a newbie here (I just registered!)  I fell hard for Yuzu after seeing his SP in Pyeong Chang, and so I was really rooting for him during the FP.  Ever since then I discovered Planet Hanyu and so I have been catching up on this thread and watching many youtube videos (his skating and interviews) till the middle of the night!  His skating just touches my heart and to add to that he is so humble, polite, gentle, hardworking and smart, and cute!  The complete package.  I didn't really follow figure skating before, so it's been fun reading about this sport (all the jumps, BVs, scoring, GOE, PCS, the different skaters and their relationships). 

I want to ask a few questions if it is okay -

• I actually live in Toronto and so I am wondering if it would be okay to go to TCC and watch Yuzu practice?  I am not a member there though.  TCC is about 20 minutes drive from where I live.  I tried google and there is usually an "open practice" in August when he reveals the new programs for the season?
  • Are there any ice shows / competitions in Canada coming up?  I think there is a thread in here showing the schedule but I can't find it anymore.  I think there is the GPF in Vancouver in December, anything else?

Thanks a lot! 

Welcome to the Planet! Always nice to have new satellites go into orbit!  I live in DC, so we're on the same time zone. Your best bet to see Yuzu practice is attending practice sessions for competitions.  I went to Autumn Classic last year in Montreal and it was generally a great time. We got to see Yuzu break a world record in a small venue so it felt really intimate and special. There is also Skate Canada which he tends to frequent. But he isn't always at his peak earlier in the season. I have tickets for the Grand Prix Final in Vancouver in the winter so if he goes I may build in time to go to the practices.  He's so exciting to watch in practice because he sometimes works on combinations he doesn't do in competition.  And his skating skills are wonderful too so he is great to watch even when he isn't jumping.  You probably will get the most opportunities to see him practice at World Championships and that's when he and other skaters try to be at their very best.  Next year Worlds is in Japan and they don't offer open practice so you wouldn't have much of an opportunity there.  However, he has won 4 GPF titles in a row with some of his best scores there so if you can get to the other coast and qualifies, you should try for it!  I was at the Olympics and got in early enough to see the practices on the event days and it's really great, but the skaters typically keep it light and don't really give 100%, waiting to do it a few hours later when it counts.  But it's still worth a watch.  

6 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

Next year Worlds is in Japan and they don't offer open practice so you wouldn't have much of an opportunity there. 

Looking at the Saitama 2014 website, there were open practices in the main rink for holders of the 4 day pass. :) Let's hope it's that way again in Tokyo!

2 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Demand skyrockets for sweets, masks and sports goods popularized by Japan’s Olympic athletes

A flu mask also attracted attention after it was worn by figure skater Yuzuru Hanyu, who won gold in the men’s singles event at the Pyeongchang Olympics.

The 2018 version of the mask starts from ¥21,600. Although the product is unusually expensive for a flu mask, 2,000 people are currently on a waiting list to buy it. The company is unable to keep up with the pace of orders, even though workers are giving up their holidays to produce more masks.

:LOL:

35 minutes ago, holina said:

Yeah that was what I was thinking too LOL.  I also thought TTC keeps it quite private but when I saw that there is some sort of restaurant area beside the ice rink in the videos, I wanted to ask just in case it is possible /usual to be able to watch :)  I did feel hesitant that it may invade Yuzu’s privacy a bit.

Thanks everybody for your warm welcomes!  And thanks to those who post and translate stuff.  

Many pages back someone said that they think Yuzu’s popularity will become much bigger and more international and I couldn’t agree more; I am a good example of that!  I really hope Yuzu stays around for a few more seasons because I have missed so much.

Hi Holina! Let me chirp in and welcome you to the planet too!

Yes, from what we've heard TCC is pretty private, and hard to get into I imagine, so the athletes can really concetrate on their practice. Added layer of security and privacy for Yuzu.

Autumn Classic is pretty close to Toronto this year I hear, so maybe you can consider going there, depending on the skaters attending. =) It's a really neat little competition, and you do get to run into skaters (other than Yuzu) since it's a small venue, sometimes get photos and autographs from them. Maybe you can join us at 2018 GPF? Also seconding Danibellerika that watching Yuzu (and other skaters) in practice is a pleasure. You get a real sense of how much speed they pick up from just a few simple strokes-the TCC boys and girls have quite extraordinary speed on ice, and gain speed almost effortlessly. By the way, Yuzu and Javi both have very quiet blades-you rarely hear any scratching noise when they land jumps.

6 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Not quite sure what the program is about... measuring athlete's....speed?

I'm not sure exactly what it will be but it says "video revolution - 100 minute special program" so probably showing the VR jump analysis etc they used during the broadcast.

1 minute ago, Danibellerika said:

Oh nice!! Well I'll cross my fingers they'll do it again. Though I'm sure getting tickets will be their usual hunger games of a process.

:headdesk2: Praying for a miracle.