General Yuzuru Chat

1 minute ago, Erin said:

Yuzu often bringing up his critics makes me feel torn. It's like admitting he's affected by bad media. I mean of course anybody would be, but isn't it a kind of strategy to not let your enemies know your weakness and that you're affected because they'll just become harsher and fiercer? On the other hand, i'm glad he's honest with us and feels comfortable enough to admit it. Ahhh Yuzu, don't mind your detractors, those who love you are 100x more. 

Or maaaaybe, that's just his way of saying "fuck off" to the bad media. Yeah Yuzu, you go do what you want! We're in full support! 

those who love him are a 100000000000000000000000000000000x more XD 

I gotta admit tho, even I haven't seen much hate stuff, I've been drowning in bliss this few weeks lol (well sometimes not knowing is better for my heart)

3 minutes ago, Floria said:

For real people are unnecessarily mean and rude to him. Like he keeps being labeled as old, veterans, inconsistent and vulnerable when he’s literally the no 1 in world ranking for god knows how long, the world record holder for years, and basically has the most consistent podium placement of all men?!!! If he continues competing untill Beijing, idk what “creative critics” would those people say tbh

5 時間前, kaerbさんが言いました:

Interesting. I didn't like the quad explanation question at all. To me, it's like inviting a famous architect to explain how houses work. He can probably explain it, but why waste that valuable time asking an 'expert' in his field about something so basic? Your job as a journalist is to do the explaining (or the research to find someone who can explain. Go to a skating teacher or a researcher if you want a scientific explanation you know? Would you ask Roger Federer to explain how tennis racquets work?). The boy alluded to a history of racial bias in expressionism, presented a new opinion abt quads/artistry (ie. abt foundations tho I can't remember if that was the JP presscon or the Eng one) and heck, seemed excited to talk about his fellow competitors... ask him about his creative process, the early schedule in PC, his awareness of the inaccessibility of figure skating to many fans...why not ask him about literally any of that??

Ah. That makes a lot of sense. It's hard to disagree with your point here. I suppose if I were a journalist with much better questions to ask but didn't get selected while seeing all those who did waste their precious opportunity like this, I'd probably be super vexed.

But let's face it. Press conferences, especially ones after major tournaments like the Olys, aren't exactly the kind of environment where thoughtful and quality questions like the ones you mentioned can be heard. It's too wide open for that, what with all the newly generated interest. If anything, it's a  breeding ground for novice questions. If you look at it from that angle, the questions he got asked could've been a lot worse. I think for the level of interest, the questions being asked are more on the acceptable end of the spectrum.

5 時間前, kaerbさんが言いました:

The living/dying part was a joke lol, the delivery just needed...a bit of work. Like he had put his life on the line for the medal but...don't worry, he's alive! I actually interpreted it as a good thing she didn't seem to see the need to translate (ie. that it came across clearly enough), I didn't consider perhaps she was being asked to translate into Japanese lol, I think she assumed he'd do it himself if he wanted to. I think it's endearing he's starting to joke around a bit with the press in English, it's a bit clumsy but I think everyone gets it.

Oh! Was that what he was trying to say? I must admit, it went completely over my head, cos it took him so long to come out with it and when he did, I was much too concentrated on the words he was painstakingly trying to utter that I completely missed the entire point of it. ^^;

When the moderator asked her (the interpreter) if she wanted to translate, she was more like, "Nah, I'll pass," which seemed pretty dismissive to me. If she thought he was going to do it himself, she would've checked with him, I think. She seemed too professional not to. Anyway, I don't have any real problem with it. I only felt sorry for Hanyu, lol. But there was also the part of me that was like, well if that makes you feel that kuyashii and embarrassed, Mr. B2B Oly Champ, better go brush up your English like you keep saying you would, then. >_<

2 minutes ago, Floria said:

I don't know what he is talking exactly about, but do you remember those articles in Japanese media comparing his jumps to Shoma's? I have no doubt that he read it. And all the speculation about his injury from people who never saw it in person. 

It truly sucks having your immense hard work and "betting my life" being belittled and put off with a few sentences of random speculations and nonsense. :/

13 minutes ago, yuzuuu said:

those who love him are a 100000000000000000000000000000000x more XD 

I gotta admit tho, even I haven't seen much hate stuff, I've been drowning in bliss this few weeks lol (well sometimes not knowing is better for my heart)

I haven't seen anything too bad either but I think he is most likely referring to things said after his injury. There was a lot of people dismissing him because of it and due to his "inconsistency" :rolleyes: . I can only imagine how painful it must have been for him to see that while fighting so hard to heal and compete again. People in the situation Yuzu was in are more sensitive to negativity than they would normally be.

17 minutes ago, Erin said:

Yuzu often bringing up his critics makes me feel torn. It's like admitting he's affected by bad media. I mean of course anybody would be, but isn't it a kind of strategy to not let your enemies know your weakness and that you're affected because they'll just become harsher and fiercer? On the other hand, i'm glad he's honest with us and feels comfortable enough to admit it. Ahhh Yuzu, don't mind your detractors, those who love you are 100x more. 

Or maaaaybe, that's just his way of saying "fuck off" to the bad media. Yeah Yuzu, you go do what you want! We're in full support! 

Honestly, I think there's more power to him in publicly acknowledging him. Especially if the people doing it might actually be reluctant to do it to his face - ie knowing he knows about it. It's like he's saying: "I know who you are and I know what you are writing about me." Ignoring them would work, too, but it would make people feel free to criticize him even more. It's kind of like the internet. Internet trolls exist because of the anonymity of the internet and most would never dare say the things they type, especially not to people's faces. Reporters, of course, are not anonymous, but it's one thing to write knowing the person you write about KNOWS what you write and it's another to write not knowing that. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, he's not in Japan so maybe he doesn't, or he doesn't really speak English, so maybe he doesn't. But him saying he knows is putting people who write stuff like that on the spot. Especially if he's not naming names. IMO, that's a very powerful stance to take. Although, yes, I'm sure it does affect him, but he's being awesome about it