General Yuzuru Chat

33 minutes ago, robin said:

We’re mostly adults but a lot of us are in their early twenties: 

Reminds me, we might want to make an updated demographics poll

Thanks! I noticed we have below 17yo. IS MY NIECE HERE???? :embSwan: 

33 minutes ago, robin said:

(How do we recruit those fanboys from Yuzu’s arrival, btw.)

Haha they're awesome! I'm working on my 17yo nephew. :snmouchotto: He likes to play the piano and he loves Chopin Ballade no. 1 and he expressed admiration for Yuzu's interpretation of it. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

4 時間前, kaerbさんが言いました:

Apparently @gladi and tadaxkid on Tumblr are jointly translating that and also the NHK Road to Gold docu and I'm so excited to both check my understanding and so everyone can understand it.

Yeah, the translators have really upped their output and pulling through even for long interview vids so I can't wait for everyone to see this one. 

4 時間前, kaerbさんが言いました:

That was a wonderful presscon, and I was glad the JP media actually asked him thoughtful questions after the newbie mess that was the Foreign Correspondent's Club (seriously, I really liked their Sochi presscon because they asked some interesting, new questions but this time....you waste your opportunity to question the Olympic champion with a question like 'can you explain the 4A for people who don't know about FS....' and 'what's your favourite food' :facepalm:)

To be fair, there were a couple of decent questions, one of them even food related, in the FJCC (just realized I messed up the order the first time around xD) presscon. I like the one where the older gentleman questioned him about his diet management and the one that asked him for his take on the new rules and artistry vs technical argument. The one that asked him to put into layman's terms how difficult jumps are in figure skating (tough question #1) was actually a very interesting one as well, albeit a bit of a tall order since coming up with easy analogies on the fly, unless you have a flair for it, isn' the easiest thing to do. But the journalist wanted to help put into perspective to casual viewers just how tough it is and I can respect that.

And the moderator gave some very deep input as well, despite not knowing much about what Hanyu does. Like the guy seemed to be a casual viewer who was genuinely moved by both his performances and his achievements and perhaps bothered to do some very quick research. That and he actually seemed pretty shook being there seating next to Hanyu and talking to him, most clearly evidenced by some uncharacteristic linguistic slip-ups, despite being a native speaker of English. >_<

The interpreter was also super top notch. I kinda had to feel for Hanyu though when she declined to translate his intro into Japanese. The guy worked so hard and she just swept it all under the rug, and right at the beginning, too, hahaha. His face literally went like, "Omg...she didn't get me. After all the effort I put in, I still suck (ಥ_ಥ)" xxD Not that I can blame her, seeing as I don't really get what he meant by the living and dying part either but it would have been kinder for her to clarify and then do him the courtesy of translating it to the Japanese journalists. Hope this gives him enough kuyashii to fuel his motivation in bettering his English. He's been talking about wanting to improve it forever now and while not dismal, he seems to be stuck in a neither here nor there command level for some time now.

The quality of the questions in JPC presscon was markedly higher overall but there were a lot of semi-repetitive questions as well. The ones that kept recurring were always asking about his motivations in some form or another. And I give him mad props for finding  the different nuances in each and addressing them all differently and, even at the risk of being harshly criticized by those who make a living out of finding fault (sometimes even when there's really none to be found) in his honesty (he kinda also put it out there that he's fully expecting this to happen since the media has time and time again lived down to his expectations), gave us great insight into his mind palace world.

Oh, and the moderator for this one, while more well-versed in what Hanyu does, also seemed shook to be there in the same room, although in a demeanor that's different from the FJCC one. I guess slaying uncles everywhere is just part of the job for one Yuzuru Hanyu. xD

45 minutes ago, GreatLakesGal said:

And I want to see him drinking soda and eating chips at McDonald's. (Who would have guessed?!)

There are, as you would expect, gazillions of Mcdonald's in Toronto... but it would absolutely be the highlight of my day to walk into one and see him in a corner drinking pop and eating something. At least the possibility exists, lol!!

53 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

poor jack :laughing:

omg 98% of his tweets are yuzu...he even calls it "Yuzu's practice" when there are other skaters there too.... xD he has such a man crush on him xD

1 hour ago, GreatLakesGal said:

And I want to see him drinking soda and eating chips at McDonald's. (Who would have guessed?!)

Makes me want McDonald's right now....but I must be strong :tumblr_inline_mm2wbbdJC51qz4rgp:

2 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

omg 98% of his tweets are yuzu...he even calls it "Yuzu's practice" when there are other skaters there too.... xD he has such a man crush on him xD

Say, since when did Jack like Yuzu? I remember reading a web article written by him where he kind of dissed Yuzu. After Boston World's iirc. Please do correct me if i'm wrong. 

Hace 2 horas, Erin said:

I thought most of Yuzu's fans are adult, e.g. moms and grandmas. But i guess by now, many teenagers might have become his fans too. I'm ready to fight them should they turn against Yuzu. :hachimaki: 

In a mature way of course. :devilYuzu:

Well, I'm 17.. in my defence though, when my favorite korean idol was caught dating in early 2016 I was totally indifferent to the news. I supported him while most of his fandom turned their backs on him. After the scandal he injured his foot while practising- when he was seen on a wheelchair at the airport, knetizens claimed that was a stunt and that he was faking an injury for sympathy. They humilliated him and he got the reputation of being lazy when he's one of the most hardworking dancers I know. That year was hell, he's talked about how depressed he was back then.
I don't understand why his relationship was so controversial, and I can't begin to imagine how much worse it'd have been for a same-sex couple
I'm not sure if dating scandals are as severe in Japan but I really hope Yuzu's love life will remain private unless/until he wants to announce it 

1 minute ago, Erin said:

Say, since when did Jack like Yuzu? I remember reading a web article written by him where he kind of dissed Yuzu. After Boston World's iirc. Please do correct me if i'm wrong. 

Did he? :(

You mean here?

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/04/05/figure-skating/bogus-boston-robs-miyahara-medal/#.WpYIoxMrLp4

Well, I'm guessing news of his injury hadn't come out yet, so there wasn't much to say. A lot of people thought it was just headcasing. Also, Jack isn't exactly an unbiased journalist, is he? :P 

1 minute ago, ICeleste said:

Well, I'm 17.. in my defence though, when my favorite korean idol was caught dating in early 2016 I was totally indifferent to the news. I supported him while most of his fandom turned their backs on him. After the scandal he injured his foot while practicing- when he was seen on a wheelchair at the airport, knetizens claimed that was a stunt and that he was faking an injury for sympathy. They humilliated him and he got the reputation of being lazy when he's one of the most hardworking dancers I know. That year was hell, he's talked about how depressed he was back then.
I don't understand why his relationship was so controversial, and I can't begin to imagine how much worse it'd have been for a same-sex couple
I'm not sure if dating scandals are as severe in Japan but I really hope Yuzu's love life will remain private unless/until he wants to announce it 

Gosh that's so... wrong? crazy? I'm sure there's a word for this. 

Thank you for being mature enough to not join that madness! :2thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Did he? :(

You mean here?

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/04/05/figure-skating/bogus-boston-robs-miyahara-medal/#.WpYIoxMrLp4

Well, I'm guessing news of his injury hadn't come out yet, so there wasn't much to say. A lot of people thought it was just headcasing. Also, Jack isn't exactly an unbiased journalist, is he? :P 

I don't think that's it. I remember it being the focus on men's skating and he implied Yuzu had a mental breakdown or something. And yes, i think he didn't know about Yuzu's injury back then. I only became Yuzu's fan last year and i noticed Jack was a fan from his tweets. I only read that article sometime last year and i looked for the comments but the comment section in his article was closed already. I think fans have already informed him by then. So i'm wondering if Jack's been a fan before Boston, then felt disappointed in Boston, then became a fan again in Helsinki. 

7 minutes ago, getsurenka said:

I am really curious... so does Yuzu get paid from all those magazines that feature him?

I would say definitely not. The only way a celebrity gets paid for stuff is when it's huge and it's a complete exclusive. Like marrying royalty and giving exclusive access to wedding shoot kind of huge. Or giving the juicy details of a big scandal, also as an exclusive.

Yuzu doesn't do scandals and he doesn't do bombshells that shake the tabloid world, so I'd say there's no payment involved.