General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, VyVy99 said:

As much as I want to see him in Beijing 2022, I can't ignore the concern to his health. He'll be 27 by then, and do you guys remember what Javi said about skating at 26?

He said jumping quads by 26 is completely different than when he's 20. They become harder, and he fell harder...

And here Yuzu is, having to keep the game up by then and strive towards 4A and even quints in 4 years time.

Ok sorry I'm probably killing the mood :81:

You're just posting what many of us are thinking but, like you, don't want to upset others with our concerns. Sometimes I wonder if that's the case with Yuzu--i.e., if there's something he's not telling us because he doesn't want to upset his fans right now. 

8 minutes ago, GreatLakesGal said:

You're just posting what many of us are thinking but, like you, don't want to upset others with our concerns. Sometimes I wonder if that's the case with Yuzu--i.e., if there's something he's not telling us because he doesn't want to upset his fans right now. 

No one is 100% honest in interviews like these, so everything he says should be taken through a media lens/with a grain of salt. Despite this he's mentioned having more injuries than the average skater, and his body not being able to hold up for very long doing all these quads. And seeing how he's the only skater AFAIK older than 20 years old adding quads every year, I can see why. The others don't even dare because they don't have Yuzu's passion nor his solid technique to try without potentially seriously getting injured. And even with Yuzu's pure technique, he still gets injured. 

He says that if he competes in Beijing he'll want to win, which is very classic of him, but it also implies that if he can't win, then he won't compete. Yes Javi is 26 and competing at his 3rd Olympics but I don't think Yuzu would settle for a bronze medal after two golds. But I do believe him when he says he loves skating and doesn't want to retire (I can never doubt his passion for skating, lol), so I see him trying as hard as he can to heal and improve but when it comes to a time when he no longer can, he'll probably leave the sport at the top.

I am 99% percent sure he is just trolling the media at this point. They keep asking about 4A, quints and the next Olympics and he keeps on upping expectations every time (which IMO clearly shows he is having fun at their expense) 

I am willing to bet money on Yuzu not having thought of what he was going to do after the Olympics at all, and that he is just saying whatever now because he has to answer those absurd questions. Give him a couple of months to rest, heal and think and we will know what he really wants to do. For now he is having fun so let us enjoy the ride as well  :biggrin:

Ps. I left a 1% for Yuzu being Yuzu :shrug:

He said he wanted to retire when he was at his peak. To be honest I'd rather him do another season, lands 4A (whether it be the first or not) then retire if he's satisfied. I don't want him to continue for 2022 if he himself is not up for it and only doing it for the JSF or the fans. And his life at TCC will have 180 change without Javi although this might only effect 10% of his life, we can't deny Javi played a part in his success aside from his own effort. We don't know how he'll cope with the change with the addition of the injury.

The idea of going to Beijing will probably be thought through properly in 2 or 3 years to come, definitely not now.

He doesn't need to prove anything anymore, and he can still do ice shows.