General Yuzuru Chat

I’m not saying I’m already retiring, because I have no intention of doing so and I have more things to do, but if I were to simply say “I’m retiring!” I feel that I could leave it to Shoma. I feel that he’s reliable. But… He’s a little… He sleeps when he has to appear in front of others and such, so he still has a little to learn. I think I have to look after him for a little longer.

— Yuzuru on Shoma, 2.27.2018 (Translation by @yukirin1408)

Source

:smiley-laughing021:

But also such a Senpai thing.

I don't know if I am the only one (or one of the few) that think Yuzu will be a good researcher if he choose to pursue that route? While I am sure he would become quite a good coach or commentator, I also think he will have so much to contribute in the world of science and research especially in figure skating. I am not sure if his personality will allow him to do behind the scene research work for a lifetime, but his life experiences as an elite figure skater as well as one who had been exposed to various difficult situations can probably serve as a good foundation to the topics he does research on. I think right now, at the era of quads and possibly even quints, scientific research is desperately needed in order to investigate the impact of these jumps on young skaters that had begun doing them at such young age and how to minimize the injuries and stress they have on their bodies.  I already had this thought before when I heard him using and incorporating various researches and the theories he studied in class into his figure skating career, but today after listening to his thoughts on the lack of scientific research on figure skating and how majority of them are individualized (like his own) that my impression became stronger. He is so knowledgeable about the figure skating, and we know he also like to expose himself to other sports as well, and he already formed the habit of recording his movements during practice to review them that it may not be hard for him to take another step further in that direction. In fact, I am not sure how Japanese education system works, but it will be interesting if he can be a professor that lectures while does research on the side. (That way he can satisfied his urge to talk elaborately and be in the center of attention as well lol.) Another good profession can be an educational or advocational speaker considering how eloquent and thoughtful his words are. That way he can even travel across the world and speak to different audiences on figure skating and inspire people that way. I mean, there is only so much you can do as a commentator and the amount of people you can reach is quite limited. I think being a coach or a commentator is something he can pursue when he becomes much older if he is interested. Right now the possibilities for him are infinite.

Of course, he himself is the only one that can choose the path he thinks is best for himself. He has so much to contribute to figure skating even after he retires (if he chooses to remain involved in this field) that no matter which career he chooses to pursue I am sure he will continue to be inspirational and respected by people.

(Sorry I am rambling for quite a bit, I desperately need sleep.)

ETA: In his second interview, the one with the Japanese press, he had mentioned something about how he loves to critically think, and to investigate where the problems lie within and to find their solutions, which I personally think it is an important trait in research!