General Yuzuru Chat

For the kpop question:

I am a kpop fan so this is my take. In 2014, Yuzu literally was a bomb. Like he was super popular on twitter after his team event sp performance and even more popular after he broke the world record. And guess what? Twitter is the home base of kpop fans. Also, yes he looks so different than kpop idols but his lean body is super similar. He also looks cute. Kpop fans adore aegyo (acting cute) and well i guess Yuzu kinda fits in that category if u don’t really pay attention to his actual athlete life. Also, this might be super sensitive but in Kpop, there is this big thing of being androgynous and leads to this imagination of gay couple between the boy group members. I don’t really want to talk more into details about this bc I feel like this is one of the thing I still find it hard to comprehend. But yeah, Yuzu has this baby face, cute looks, he also has lean body type and well outside his “I MUST WIN” “I WILL SACRIFICE ANYTHING” and “KUYASHII” things, he basically has this cute boy next door attitudes and personality. And all these qualities, really attract kpop fans. 

I live in a country where nobody talks about FS, it's not on TV, I've never seen a competitive skater from my country. YOI only made me curious about the sport but Yuzuru actually made me fall in love with it and be an active fan.
I'm also a fan of kpop and I don't think there's any correlation between these interests. I enjoy them all separately- I can't stand when people compare real skaters to idols or anime characters.
I think Zu attracts a lot of attention not only from kpop stans, but from non-fs stans in general because he's just so... charismatic and easy to love? I might sound biased but... He's humble, polite, incredibly talented, inspiring, hardworking, sweet, goofy, and of course, he's really cute too. It's a mix of all factors.

Hace 1 hora, getsurenka said:

http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/winter/20170623-OHT1T50280.html

I can't remember who was it that asked about the reward money Yuzu will get as an Olympic champion, but this article talks about it. For PC Olympic, JSF raised it's monetary reward from 3 million yen to 5 million yen as an effort to raise their athletes' motivation (silver medalist receives 2 million yen and bronze medalist 1 million yen). Added to that JOC also rewards 5 million yen. So Yuzu will receive a total of 10 million yen (USD ~100,000) as an Olympic champion.

I didn't know about the sum of money but that's more than I thought... SO well deserved though:clap:  and I imagine he's excited about getting many new earphones

1 hour ago, getsurenka said:

http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/winter/20170623-OHT1T50280.html

I can't remember who was it that asked about the reward money Yuzu will get as an Olympic champion, but this article talks about it. For PC Olympic, JSF raised it's monetary reward from 3 million yen to 5 million yen as an effort to raise their athletes' motivation (silver medalist receives 2 million yen and bronze medalist 1 million yen). Added to that JOC also rewards 5 million yen. So Yuzu will receive a total of 10 million yen (USD ~100,000) as an Olympic champion.

I don’t think Yuzu needs this for motivation tbh this kid is a pure athlete that competes bc of the challenge. JSF is so lucky to have him

43 minutes ago, cinemacoconut said:

Yuzuru has an anime face which is rare for any asian boy to have. Even japanese idols dont look as anime as yuzuru. 

Not just his face, but his entire body has anime proportions. 

6ab9003314d1ba2ab97e1b39fca6785c13925681

Perhaps it is because anime will often draw the ideal proportions, since he also has the "perfect" proportions for jumps.

I am a manga otaku and a big fan of Tokyo Ghoul. Sometimes years ago, I watched Daisuke Takahashi's FS and found the waking and tripping movement in the beginning of his program very cute. Never did I imagine, male skating could be so delicate, soft, playful, and artistic. Looking for other Japanese skaters, I stumbled upon Yuzuru Hanyu 2012 World FS.  He floated, motored, and flew across the ice, with the proportions and passion of an anime hero. Then, after his performance, acts cute. How could I not fall in love?  

Like some other fans say, Yuzuru is actually very masculine, but is unafraid of showing traditionally feminine behavior. To me, that makes him even  more courageous and strong  or "manly", than traditionally handsome men. 

Yuzuru is of course greater than an anime hero and there is no need for one based off his life story when we see it in real life. 

23 minutes ago, b138oo said:

I don’t think Yuzu needs this for motivation tbh this kid is a pure athlete that competes bc of the challenge. JSF is so lucky to have him

Believe it or not, 100k $ is less than what he needs for training for one year, it's actually around half! So it'll come in very handy, even in Zu's position.

2 минуты назад, Yatagarasu сказал:

Believe it or not, 100k $ is less than what he needs for training for one year, it's actually around half! So it'll come in very handy, even in Zu's position.

I think the most money he receives like all famous people from advertisements?

After Sochi Olympics, he had donated all his monetary reward as Olympic champion toward Tohoku reconstruction, so I won't be surprise if he does the same this time around (not that he has to, of course). Yuzu also donated both Aoi no Honoo I and II's royalties to Sendai Ice Rink, which was roughly 26 million yen combined. He has relatively few endorsements/CM so even though his "price" was high he wasn't earning that much either compared to other popular athletes I think. He also participated in relatively few ice shows during the summer, and ice shows don't pay as well as endorsements/CM. So he really isn't that motivated by the monetary reward. I am just glad ANA is financially supporting his skating related costs, so he is free to focus on his skating and not the financial aspect of it. 

ETA: By the way, when Yuzu won the Sochi Olympics, ANA gifted him a family vacation as a bonus. Recently there was an article saying ANA is trying to come up with a gift that is better than before since it is his two-peat. I wonder what they come up with. (To be honest, I quite adore ANA's relationship with Yuzu. I know they are in a symbiotic business relationship(?) but ANA's public support for Yuzu throughout the years had always been quite creative and very thoughtfully done. I am still quite moved by the heartwarming message ANA put up after Yuzu lost the WC in 2016.)

3 minutes ago, Lilona said:

I think the most money he receives like all famous people from advertisements?

Yes.

The ANA deal covers all his skating expenses; IIRC it was around 300k at the time and has probably only grown so that, plus everything else and he has no real issues. Of course, he's an exception, not the rule. Skating's a wicked expensive sport but the prizes aren't all that much and it's often difficult to stay afloat. 

Boy isn't motivated by money, skating is so expensive but he got all financially funded by ANA while doing some endorsements on the side, he might just donate the money like last time. With his status he might've been as BIGGGG as a public figure like Mao but he actually limited public exposure to the very least.

I'm surprised Yuzuru is quite popular in the kpop community as I also like kpop but never in my life I have admired or follow someone as much as I have with Yuzuru. There is something about him so magnetic, the first time you see him you know he is something else, that happened to me and it was a very strong feeling.