General Yuzuru Chat

1 minute ago, swanbeau said:

did he give it to all the skaters too, or was it only javi lol

I tend to think those were sold at the venue and it was people throwing them on the ice. But Yuzu probably gave some of the ones thrown for him, to the volunteers. Javi's was probably thrown for him on the ice. (I think the label on them was Korean?)

Finally caught up, it took almost two days  and I still have FS and fluff threads to finish :facepalm:.

These Olympics have been probably the biggest rollercoaster of emotions in my life and I am still processing everything that happened in the last three days.

Many of the things I wanted to say were already expressed in this thread so I'll try make it short :).

Second OGM is an amazing achievement by itself, but given the circumstances it is absolutely unbelievable, I am still shaking just thinking about the mental strength it required to fight till the end and win. I believed it was possible since ACI and CoR, somehow these defeats were just small sacrificies on the road to gold. Even after the NHK accident I still thought it possible. And before the competition I had a feeling that everything will fall into place this time, that this gold was destined to be his. Of course I had my doubts and fears, I am quite a negative person actually, very good at predicting bad outcomes, but this time deep at the bottom of my heart I knew that this victory was meant to happen.

I was the happiest person in the world until the injury news started coming out. It was devastating at first, but now, after reading all the translations and comments I feel that things are not as bad as I thought initially.

Yuzu skated two programs and landed perfectly  +3goe jumps on his injured foot, he did difficult spins and steps. Yes, it was pure will and also painkillers, but if his ankle didn't collaborate at all he would not be able to do anything of it, you can only push your body that much. I may be compeletely wrong but for me it means that his ankle is functional although there is a lot of pain. And probably it feels much worse now after the strain he put on it in competition.  But there is no damage beyond repair. I can feel his fears in those comments about the injury, but we have to take into account that right now he is extremely tired and emotionally exhausted.

He will do everything to recover, he stated clearly that skating is everything to him and there are things he still wants to conquer. Do you remember that genuine happiness to be on ice again at his first practices in PC? This wasn't part of the Brian's plan, it was a sincere joy. He will be fine. Just wait.  

Just now, KatjaThera said:

I tend to think those were sold at the venue and it was people throwing them on the ice. But Yuzu probably gave some of the ones thrown for him, to the volunteers. Javi's was probably thrown for him on the ice. (I think the label on them was Korean?)

oh that made sense! i was thinking it would be such an extra thing to do if he brought all of it by himself (or more like, his team)!

2 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Kana-chan reacting to Yuzu's performance. I can't wait for Tatsuki's comments..

Kanako during SP

'My heart was beating so fast it felt like it was about to come out of my mouth'

- I think he was probably suffering so much (with his injury). When you're injured, even if you don't show it, you would definitely ask yourself 'what should I do?' So to be able to put out such a wonderful performance like this... I just think 'sasuga - as expected [of Yuzu]'

Kanako during FS

'No matter as a person or as an athlete, he is truly wonderful.' (I saw a more complete clip on Twitter earlier and iirc she gets emotional again and is like 'ahh I'm remembering our times together' and also 'Yuzu and Shoma really worked hard/congratulations' (something along those lines)). 

I'm really looking forward to Machida's commentary ahaha ;; 

17 minutes ago, liv said:

Was it him who named it or did the restaurant claim this? If it is just a pic of food, well, that is probably served in 1000 restaurants in Toronto. 

Oh good point, I assumed it was a photo from the actual restaurant of what he eats (there's galbi which is Korean iirc? so slightly unusual to find in a Japanese restaurant though maybe not when it's in Toronto). In which case...the fans will hunt it down LOL. But if it's just a generic photo of sushi and yakiniku, then that's fine. 

2 hours ago, xeyra said:

Fresca! Long time no see!

Hi! :smiley-happy085: I stopped posting for a while because RL got too busy but I had to come back for the Olympics!

So happy for Yuzu and what he's accomplished despite all the setbacks he's had! No matter what others say, the fact is when it mattered the most, he rose to the occasion in the worst of circumstances, injured ankle and all, and others crumpled. It was Yuzu who had to climb the furthest to win against healthier competitors who had the luxury of practice and previous competitions and he still went above them.

I'm so sorry about his ankle. I hope its not as serious as it seems and he takes the time off to properly heal it before coming back. He should skip Worlds if he needs to. If he chooses to go to get Japan 3 spots for 2019 Worlds in Saitama while still having ankle problems, then the goal should be to finish top 7 which he can do with a very simplified layout (who am I kidding...)

Maybe in the long run, this ankle injury will teach him not to take unnecessary risks. Who practices 4Lz when it's a new jump with a 39-40 degree fever???

I can't tell you how scary his 4Lz is to me...he opens it up later than his other quads because of delayed and slightly slower rotation. This gives him less time in the air to fix any alignment issues in the jump. Any alignment issues need to be fixed by adjusting his alignment once he's landed already which can cause strain to the ankles/knees. Even if his alignment is correct, because he opens up later, he lands lower and needs deeper knees to land the jump properly. The deeper the knees, the harder it is on the thighs and butt to land the jump. For you dancers, think about doing a classic pirouette from 5th vs a pirouette from a deep lunge in open 4th a la Balanchine. It's a lot harder... Shoma saves his jumps with his deep knees all the time but its easier for him because he's short with short legs. Yuzu is much taller with long legs so it's more difficult for him than Shoma to land his jumps lower. 

I don't think he should be practicing 4Lz until he comes back to peak condition. The jump is risky enough as it is.