General Yuzuru Chat

At World's, I'll support Shoma and Boyang (safe assumption Javi and Yuzu don't go). If Javi is there, well, I"ll root for Javi to go out with a bang. The judges have shown they will go with an all around program, and maybe his coaches will come up with some encouraging words that will motivate him (he said they'd need to for him to go). Nathan may have learned all those quads, but he sure needs to learn a lot about everything else.

I've posted this in the FS thread but I'll share it here too, to lift up the mood... Here's my translation of the Spanish MARCA CLARO commentary after Seimei and during the Plushies ceremony:

"Yuzuru Hanyu... is a complete ARTIST. What he does on the ice and the way he executes every single movement is truly a delight. Also, we realized he's a mortal since he had a few slips, an incredible performance nevertheless. You can enjoy his full choreography, there were many details. It's not just about the difficult elements and jumps, but rather the full balance of what you do. It's about having excellent skating skills, being able to interpret, to connect and merge with the ice to be able to do what he can do.  It's beyond the jumps, you stop focusing on the jumps because everything he does is art, it's magic. Look at the height of that 4S, the way he lands and the speed with which he glides afterwards. 4T, also spectacular. He has an incredible technique. We have been waiting for him and we're thankful. The fact that he didn't participate in the Team Event and saved his energy and strength for this moment is very important. And he was enjoying this routine, you can see it in his face, the way he was surrendering himself to the crowd, because he isn't just a skater, he's a performer."

"All the work he has done in the past 4 years to repeat this and above all, the fact that he didn't felt defeated and chose to compete at the Olympics is... I'm left speechless. He was extraordinary yesterday and magnificent today. He's still so young... Imagine if he goes for his 3rd OGM at 27 years old... The way the full crowd here in the arena acclaims him... It's incredible how sensitive Yuzuru is and how he surrenders himself completely to people and to doing what he loves, which is skating. And it's a complete joy to observe him, to be able to be a part of this moment in which he wins another OGM. And the way he can gather with his mates...(referring to the podium moment with  Javi and Shoma) it's unbelievable."

4 minutes ago, raebia said:

I like your post but I donˋt take being sorrounded by stupid people as an excuse at his age.

The remark was disparaging I think, and not sportsmanlike, not nice. And he is long old enough to know.

Sorry, had to get it off— now going to sleep and will hopefully forget about Nathan and my next thought will be happier:)

It's just that, freedom of thinking by yourself and creating your own opinions is not a characteristic which you are born with. You aquire it through personal experience. So it's not an excuse for me, it's just an explanation of his words. It's probably not 'his personal opinion'. It's something he's grown up with, something other people around him told him, and he simply absorbed those things. That's my impression and my opinion. Doesn't change the fact that what he said is incorrect and disrespectful. It's just that, understanding why certain people behave and say certain things, helps me not to get angry at them and see them in a more rounded way. 

14 minutes ago, raebia said:

I like your post but I donˋt take being sorrounded by stupid people as an excuse at his age.

The remark was disparaging I think, and not sportsmanlike, not nice. And he is long old enough to know.

Sorry, had to get it off— now going to sleep and will hopefully forget about Nathan and my next thought will be happier:)

Well, when you're young, it's easy to brainwash you

1 hour ago, Ladysci said:

I also have tickets for Milano, but also hope that Yuzu skips Worlds this year. As we all feel, his health comes first and am cautiously optimistic (or as much as anyone can be reading all the news on this forum:smiley_hairpull:) that in time, things should improve. It has all been a rollercoaster, but satellites moral support during this whole competition helped a lot---I was here on the forum all along, but haven't posted much.

On the bright side, I probably won't need to get up so early to attend the mens practices during Worlds and finally after a long time, I can watch the competition stress-free. My husband will be happy to hear that I'd also be willing to do some touristy things instead of spending the whole week at the rink.

Same here, I was so gutted at first to hear he probably won't be going but having read all these interview translations I know it's for the best. It'll be nice to enjoy all the skating without feeling sick the whole time as well lol. I do hope Javi can be convinced to go though, especially since it's in Europe...

Anyway I'm glad that it seems to be a bit calmer now, reading the past 50-odd pages (!!) has been a rollercoaster but ultimately positive. 

27 minutes ago, beki said:

I don’t think Rafael Arutunian is terrible. He was a great help to Michelle Kwan, Jeffrey Buttle, Mao Asada, Ashley Wagner and Adam Rippon. The difference there is they were grownups with artistry. He’s probably not the best at molding young people.

I don't think Raf should get anywhere near younger skaters, especially those with tiger parents.

One of the many reasons I admire Brian Orser so much is that he's made it clear that he doesn't see his skaters' victories as his own and his behavior with them reflects that.  Unfortunately I don't think this is the case with Raf.

28 minutes ago, raebia said:

I really wish skaters who start out in hockey would just stay in hockey. 

I also hope the new scoring changes that are implemented will prevent someone with such limited "artistry" from reaching the top mainly on the strength of their jumps. Brian mentioned that the changes that are coming could be a factor in whether Yu decides to keep competing or not. 

18 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

It's just that, freedom of thinking by yourself and creating your own opinions is not a characteristic which you are born with. You aquire it through personal experience. So it's not an excuse for me, it's just an explanation of his words. It's probably not 'his personal opinion'. It's something he's grown up with, something other people around him told him, and he simply absorbed those things. That's my impression and my opinion. Doesn't change the fact that what he said is incorrect and disrespectful. It's just that, understanding why certain people behave and say certain things, helps me not to get angry at them and see them in a more rounded way. 

Ageed.

It’s pretty well known that your environment affects how you think. People may argue that he’s already 18 but he’s spent these past few years with this team and that’s got to have an effect as well as the fact that when he was interviewed about that the media was going ‘QUAD QUAD QUAD what artistry? QUAD QUAD’

I hope as he grows he realises that his opinion is wrong and won’t get him any super high PCS points or praise for his artistry. Maybe he can spend next season, if he carries on, like Boyang who realised that he needed to improve his artistry and has really grown this past season. 

and this might sound rude but I hope he gets away from people like Ashley who’ll happily bash one skater from a different country but not hold her countrymen to the same standard. 

1 hour ago, liv said:

Nathan may have learned all those quads, but he sure needs to learn a lot about everything else.

This might be off-topic for this thread but it needs to be said - Nathan is not the only master of the quads around.  Nathan's got a major threat up and coming, that thirteen year old Brian's training who, according to Brian, does all the quads currently being done.  If the kid is doing quads now I can see him doing quints somewhere down the road (after the authorities set a base value for them).