General Yuzuru Chat

Yes, in the quote from Iron Klaus, it was more that once the doctor told him ‘it can’t  heal more than this’, he snapped into a decision and could focus on his training. My interpretation is that he implies there was certainty and no longer wondering if he has to treat his ankle carefully to aid recovery (like ‘this is what I have to work with now ’). To be able to focus on that is truly strength.

Time will tell if he can recover fully and I hope he does take the time but like. Again, yuzu’s entire season has been about working with what he has now so lets follow his example and focus on minimising worry abt uncertain future events. He’ll be back as long as his health allows so let’s just trust in him and his team. Now, more than ever, we can say ‘have they ever let us down?’

I haven't posted here for some time but I've been watching everything  and I could scarcely believe that that podium really happened. I basically spent the whole night asleep because i just couldn't, since the competition ended 3am here. I didn't have great expectations for this Olympics, I just wanted it to be a great competition, or at least better than Sochi and for top men to give them all, especially with Yuzuru having the cleanest skates that he could possibly do because that was his wish. And of course this would inevitably give him a win, but I just wanted performances that he could be proud from quite possibly his last Olympics. I'm not a big Shoma fan but I've always had a soft spot for him and I like his skating. His little moments during interviews and comments are being an absolute joy and my other highlights.  I'm still a bit sad because of Boyang but his time will come, and the most complete skaters at the night have their medals.  I admit this day was a rollercosater of emotions and really uneasy for me to process in both extremes because I'm also a big SHINee fan just like the other poster here. 

And Chan's comments gave me the feelings. Chanyu is still one of my favourite rivalries since I'm a fan of both, and the fact that now Chan can look at Hanyu and not have any big hard feelings makes his retirement even more meaningful to me. I wouldn't really read much into Patrick's comments. Him and Yuzuru have really different personalities and the excruciation Chan had during his career made him extra sensitive to everything, hence his not so great media moments. But he has a good heart, he really has. The video of Javier saying to Yuzuru that it was his last Olympics with Yuzuru saying that he couldn't do it without him, really got me. It shows how close competition, even without word fights and stones,  can push the skaters to greater heights and the achievements of each of them are also a reflection of their competitive enviroment. So I will always be grateful to all of them for making it possible to watch their brilliance.  The next quad will be interesting with only Yuzuru left from an "older" generation, even if he is indeed the 'middle child' generation wise, but this change of guard happens every Olympics. And I feel it is at least less of a change than the one after Sochi.  

I think Yuzuru will keep skating for at least 1-2 seasons after his ankle heals properly and I'm very excited for new programs and new challenges.   I admit I was a bit disapointed when he choosed to repeat Chopin yet again and Seimei even though I love both programs. But his choice ended up being adequate because of his lack of competition experience this season to test his programs if he had new ones. This whole figure skating season I was kind of out of it partially due to his absence, personal reasons and what happened in december.  I thought my detachment would take away part of my experience watching the Olympics but until now it has been a great experience again. This podium has been my absolute highlight of my week and I'll never forget this men's competition. My favourite since GPF 2015, and the podium gave me flashbacks to this one. It was only natural that the Olympics would mirror the best men's competition of the last quad. 

And I have a question, does anyone have links of the Japanese news? I've already seen some of their long interviews on Youtube.  I lost my bookmars and can't remember the name of those dailymotion channels that always posted news.

17 minutes ago, liv said:

Calm, calm. Just because he said the doctor told him he could not help him more, it does not mean he meant never.  He may have just meant that in their current situation, with the Olympics coming up, he could do no more.. as in, in that specific time frame nothing more was possible. The doctor could hardly tell him to rest more, or that he needed surgery etc., because there was no time left for any of that. At that point Yuzu realized he had to deal with his situation right then and train, and not think that it would get better... it was as good as it was going to get before the Olympics. Now that Olympic are over, there is time for rest/surgery/therapy etc..

Ufff, throwing statements like that, though, without context... "It's not gonna get any better, I'm sorry" sounds like a death sentence without context and it's fucking scary. Reading the Japanese original, it does sound like the doctor's statement was contextualised in a time limit. So, 'it won't get better in this specific moment', AS IN, 'you need more time to heal'. Which is perfectly fine by me. 

I think Yuzu is mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausted right now, which is why I really think it is unfair to have him do so many interviews one after another. He needs time to unwind, process what happened and think about what he wants to do as well as what he needs to do. I think if they talked to him in a week we may get different answers because he would have had time to rest and think and not just react like he is doing now  

Spoiler bc I'm quoting am old Post

Spoiler
10 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Translation of the Nippon Instagram Q&A

Again with Wada Kouji, Yuzu... Another of my favorite songs, I kinda get the feeling of why he was listening to it. The lyrics can't apply 100% but along with the music... Gives me a feeling of telling yourself 「もう少し…」

4 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

Just Patrick being Patrick till the end ... haha, he admitted hating Yuzu, omg

That feels like the end of an era too hahaha

28 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Ufff, throwing statements like that, though, without context... "It's not gonna get any better, I'm sorry" sounds like a death sentence without context and it's fucking scary. Reading the Japanese original, it does sound like the doctor's statement was contextualised in a time limit. So, 'it won't get better in this specific moment', AS IN, 'you need more time to heal'. Which is perfectly fine by me. 

Thanks so much for giving us your interpretation of this. I agree that reading the English translation of that statement was extremely upsetting--how could it not be for anyone who loves Yuzu as much as we do?

Going to use a spoiler tag, because I'm also quoting from earlier posts:

Spoiler

1) Ah, ice network, why do you never fail to disappoint me. However, as a Todd Eldredge fan, I knew there was a reason I liked him. =) I'm inordinately pleased with his straight forward answer.  Besides, considering one of the GOAT title contenders uses Yuzu as a teaching example, I think it says it loud and clear. By the way, has anyone ever showed Yuzu the clip of Plush using his own spins to show students? It would cheer him up. Or maybe, there is a distinct possibility Plush already told him? 

3 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

2) Patrick...oh dear lords. I don't know but ya know, after some of the recent statements, much as I love you, if you and Javi opened 2 competing schools of figure skating, I might consider sending my kids to that school instead. I want them to have a nice attitude towards fellow competitors as well, and viewing everyone else as a nemesis is not conducive. 

2) He really is a light eater. Am I the only one who finds the way he holds his chopsticks up kind of cute? It's a very polite and dainty way of holding them. Good upbringing. Also, I remember there's some superstition in China bout how far away you hold your chopsticks being how far away from home you will end up going. He holds it pretty far up, and well, he's in Toronto. 

8 hours ago, MrPudding said:

I feel sad that Yuzu was skating with still injured ankle and had to take painkillers. But I am not crying and worrying, I am happy because he achieved his goal and satisfied and happy. At this point, I believe he won't go to Worlds and I hope he won't (what do I do with my platinum tickets :confused:). He will heal and continue skating for sure, I truly believe that. So, I hope all the fans would be happy and enjoy this moment instead of worrying. :) 

What TCC and Yuzu did for media play is called strategy, not lies. it's just playing mind-games, I am an economist and studied game-theory. they did use similar theory. Without this strategy, Yuzu might not win this, I am sorry I won't go into detail, i am such a lazy person. But yeah... Let's ENJOY this moment guys!!! 

7 minutes ago, Hanmgse said:

I imagine this forum as a building that catches a fire until someone comes and puts it out, then the building catches fire again and so on so on :dpooh:

I think it's because the building was filled with very dry cacti for too long of a time. 

1 minute ago, ThiriYuzu said:

I feel sad that Yuzu was skating with still injured ankle and had to take painkillers. But I am not crying and worrying, I am happy because he achieved his goal and satisfied and happy. At this point, I believe he won't go to Worlds and I hope he won't (what do I do with my platinum tickets). He will heal and continue skating for sure, I truly believe that. So, I hope all the fans would be happy and enjoy this moment instead of worrying. :) 

What TCC and Yuzu did for media play is called strategy, not lies. it's just playing mind-games, I am an economist and studied game-theory. they did use similar theory. Without this strategy, Yuzu might not win this, I am sorry I won't go into detail, i am such a lazy person. But yeah... Let's ENJOY this moment guys!!! 

International relations here, and whomever decided that strategy in TCC was good. The execution was even better. We should put TCC's method as an example for game theory application. =)

Personally, I choose to interpret that doctor statement as more of a "I'm sorry, but this is as good as it can be at this point, under these circumstances". That could be too much positive thinking, but... yeah.

It'd be incredibly ironic, though... after Sochi, he was saying he definitely doesn't want to compete beyond Pyeongchang. But now that he does, this happens. I do know he'll do everything possible and impossible to heal, though.

PS: on Hero's they had footage of Daisuke Takahashi reaction from the audience and he was crying. I would have loved a hug between them, too...