General Yuzuru Chat

12 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

yup felt like being punched in the stomach again..

I tried to calm myself down like 838390 times since yesterday but I just can't anymore. FUuuKKKK. What I heard months ago that his injuries had been much better and that he would be 100% at Olympics is all lies ?????? I feel betrayed and I hate this feeling so much. 

On 17.02.2018 at 5:05 PM, getsurenka said:

I hope this can help you! The first is the recording (I believe), and the second tweet is the transcription of it. On GS, Sorrento and Marin had translated the words.

Thank you so much!:thanks:  I posted the sources on reddit, though I don't know if anybody will read it, redfit moves fast. Bookmarked for future reference!

It's the way he's always been - I'm astonished we're finding out now rather than in a book or an aside in an interview in 2 years time or something similar.  Probably because he's going to have to skip the gala and possibly worlds.  But he's not planning to retire so it's ok - he'll be back if he possibly can.

20 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

yup felt like being punched in the stomach again..

while I know this cues ugly cries and endless worry, I hope we all could send prayers and positive thoughts and feelings for his foot instead, there's not much we can do about it anyway so I think sending positive thoughts and prayers from all of us to support him in feelings will be so much better and the power of our collective minds could trigger some sort of supernatural healing power or something :P and it's way healthier for us too, lol

either way, I'm sending virtual hugs to all of you! :10742289: knock on all woods he'll recover to 100% soon!

5 hours ago, dorkyiceprince said:

Even worse is trying to explain this to people who find figure skating interesting because of an anime. I mean how people get into really doesn't matter but sometimes the things the say..

I have two friends who're crazy fans of Yuri on Ice and they got interested in Yuzu because of it and were watching the Olympics. One of them, after the SP said "Wow...they did a lot more jumps in YoI" :facepalm: 

And naturally because of that they were super impressed with Nathan's FS :facepalm::slinkaway:

off topic so under spoiler

Spoiler

As someone who got into figure skating fandom about 2 months before YOI aired (I was into anime prior to that, so for me this was a beautiful culmination of getting to know figure skating while also watching YOI), I must comment on this:

Sure, there are many ignorant fans like your two friends, and I feel sorry for them, but I'd just like to add: they're not all like this. My twitter timeline is filled with people who got into figure skating thanks to YOI, these are people that cared enough to do their research, they got invested into the sport, and are now diehard figure skating fans, supporting various skaters. I don't think it is fair that fans like this are scared to even admit how they got into the sport because of fear of being judged by other fans who were there earlier. I really dislike this kind of gate-keeping, especially when you see people making an actual effort to get to know the rules in detail and then somebody stomps on them for being newbies/only liking figure skating thanks to YOI.

Meanwhile I can't say as muchabout  those who only watch it every 4 years at Olympics...

@kaerb: thank you for the translation of his interviews. It's a lot more positive than I thought. But then again, we've all been fooled by his smiles before, so I hope this time it's genuine. 

Also regarding his pain and his decisions so far:

1) He needs time to heal, but if he decides to continue figure skating, he will. Never doubt Mister Yuzuru "I am men's figure skating" Hanyu. And he said he still has dreams to fulfill, and I doubt Nessie is the only one. So more or less, he's probably going to return. We're looking at a guy who essentially *willed* his way to his 2nd OGM. Have we no faith in his willpower? :facepalm: 

2) He made it pretty clear in all interviews and books and everything so far, that he *loves* figure skating. So he's not going to just fade into the background. In the recent interviews, he essentially said he's willing to help coach someone to be No. 1. He wants to travel too. You know what? I think in some recent interview, Tracy (?) said they had him teach other people how to hydroblade to relieve pressure, and he loved that. What if he and Javi go do skating seminars to promote figure skating across the world. Maybe coming to a rink near you? He loves figure skating, probably more than figure skating community deserves. So I don't think we've heard the last from him anyways. Imagine a future, 10-12 years later, where he, Javi, Nobu (who coaches too) and Lambiel compete in the coaches-boards-antics competition. We need a coach-cam. 

3) I have some serious suspicions that he lurks on social media (Brian's warnings not withstanding) because a) the shade at the news articles and b) he's very responsive to his fans. So let's continue to cheer him on. If the injury is going to take a long time to heal, maybe even ruling out worlds or shows this year, then we should show our solidarity for his health first. 

And when in doubt, go back and read point 1. When there is a will, there is a way.  We're following and doubting a guy who by sheer willpower alone, got his 2nd OGM. 

7 minutes ago, yuzuonice said:

off topic so under spoiler

Hide contents

As someone who got into figure skating fandom about 2 months before YOI aired (I was into anime prior to that, so for me this was a beautiful culmination of getting to know figure skating while also watching YOI), I must comment on this:

Sure, there are many ignorant fans like your two friends, and I feel sorry for them, but I'd just like to add: they're not all like this. My twitter timeline is filled with people who got into figure skating thanks to YOI, these are people that cared enough to do their research, they got invested into the sport, and are now diehard figure skating fans, supporting various skaters. I don't think it is fair that fans like this are scared to even admit how they got into the sport because of fear of being judged by other fans who were there earlier. I really dislike this kind of gate-keeping, especially when you see people making an actual effort to get to know the rules in detail and then somebody stomps on them for being newbies/only liking figure skating thanks to YOI.

Meanwhile I can't say as muchabout  those who only watch it every 4 years at Olympics...

I think I came off as bashing YOI. :facepalm:

Trust me I have nothing against that or how people get into the fandom. The more the merrier...as long as they are in for more than "Victor jumped like that!" or "This could be made into Yuri's story" 

I loved the animation (and soundtrack) for YoI. I was just pointing out how diff it can be to talk to people like that without turning them away :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

1 hour ago, Sombreuil said:

It's the way he's always been - I'm astonished we're finding out now rather than in a book or an aside in an interview in 2 years time or something similar.  Probably because he's going to have to skip the gala and possibly worlds.  But he's not planning to retire so it's ok - he'll be back if he possibly can.

I was quite surprise at the timing of his admittance as well, but he probably doesn't want it to come as a surprise to the media or fans if he has to withdraw from Worlds or take an extended break. (Or perhaps he just needed an outlet to cope after everything he had been through.) 

What is heartbreaking to me though, is he spoke these scary words with the same cheery smile and crinkled eyes that he always does, so I can't help but think of how scarily strong he is. I read somewhere that in one of the interviews he said that it would be easier if he just broke his ankle, instead of this injury that he didn't know the extent of, and I thought to myself that was how much uncertainties and psychological stress he was under and enduring during the time off-ice. It is possible that the physical injury might not be as severe as it sounded, but the psychological stress he was under is definitely not exaggerated. For a top athlete like he is, nothing is worse that not knowing where he stands and whether he is able to continue. Like he said, once he knew it wasn't going to heal, he was able to train fully for the Olympics and not cared about anything else. IMO he probably felt relieved at the news even if it was negative because at least he knew what he has to do instead of being plagued by the unknowns and the fear of uncertainty.

But because he is strong, I have full trust that he is able to recover fully, take this injury as another learning experience (which he already did), and come back stronger. 

ETA: Personally I was most heartbroken when he said he had abandoned everything to pursue figure skating and the second OGM, so when he thought he couldn't keep skating, he didn't know what his life was going to be like outside of figure skating. (I have to recheck what he said exactly.) But yet he never thought of giving up, even when all the circumstances seemed to be forcing him to, and for that I can never stop admiring him. He said he was mentally weak, but it is really the opposite. He is one of the strongest person I know.

2 minutes ago, Xen said:

@kaerb: thank you for the translation of his interviews. It's a lot more positive than I thought. But then again, we've all been fooled by his smiles before, so I hope this time it's genuine. 

Also regarding his pain and his decisions so far:

1) Guys, snap out of it! He needs time to heal, but if he decides to continue figure skating, he will. Never doubt Mister Yuzuru "I am men's figure skating" Hanyu. And he said he still has dreams to fulfill, and I doubt Nessie is the only one. So more or less, he's probably going to return. We're looking at a guy who essentially *willed* his way to his 2nd OGM. Have we no faith in his willpower? :facepalm: 

2) He made it pretty clear in all interviews and books and everything so far, that he *loves* figure skating. So he's not going to just fade into the background. In the recent interviews, he essentially said he's willing to help coach someone to be No. 1. He wants to travel too. You know what? I think in some recent interview, Tracy (?) said they had him teach other people how to hydroblade to relieve pressure, and he loved that. What if he and Javi go do skating seminars to promote figure skating across the world. Maybe coming to a rink near you? He loves figure skating, probably more than figure skating community deserves. So I don't think we've heard the last from him anyways. Imagine a future, 10-12 years later, where he, Javi, Nobu (who coaches too) and Lambiel compete in the coaches-boards-antics competition. We need a coach-cam. 

3) I have some serious suspicions that he lurks on social media (Brian's warnings not withstanding) because a) the shade at the news articles and b) he's very responsive to his fans. So let's continue to cheer him on. If the injury is going to take a long time to heal, maybe even ruling out worlds or shows this year, then we should show our solidarity for his health first. 

And when in doubt, go back and read point 1. When there is a will, there is a way.  We're following and doubting a guy who by sheer willpower alone, got his 2nd OGM. Rinse and repeat. 

:goe: 

I am bookmarking this. Pretty sure I am going to end up reading this everytime we get a snippet of his injury. (which given the number of interviews he's doing...should be around 4 times a day)

Calm, calm. Just because he said the doctor told him he could not help him more, it does not mean he meant never.  He may have just meant that in their current situation, with the Olympics coming up, he could do no more.. as in, in that specific time frame nothing more was possible. The doctor could hardly tell him to rest more, or that he needed surgery etc., because there was no time left for any of that. At that point Yuzu realized he had to deal with his situation right then and train, and not think that it would get better... it was as good as it was going to get before the Olympics. Now that Olympic are over, there is time for rest/surgery/therapy etc..

4 minutes ago, dorkyiceprince said:

I think I came off as bashing YOI. :facepalm:

Trust me I have nothing against that or how people get into the fandom. The more the merrier...as long as they are in for more than "Victor jumped like that!" or "This could be made into Yuri's story" 

I loved the animation (and soundtrack) for YoI. I was just pointing out how diff it can be to talk to people like that without turning them away :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

I don't have a problem with people finding fs through anime or any other medium, it doesn't matter how you found it.  How you carry on afterwards does matter - the odd YOI reference doesn't bother me but the idiots who change the Wikipedia page etc do.