General Yuzuru Chat

I have just caught up looking at all the pics, gifs and videos uploaded and the interviews already translated: I have no words to describe what Yuzuru, his team and his family (and mostly mama Hanyu) have done.

Yuzuru is a true champion and a great person: luckily for him, he is supported by true champions, in sport and in life. So I am totally with Ambesi in this: Yuzu is a living legend and we are really blessed to have him now (to me he was a true legend already before and also without second gold Oly but, you know, in some other parts of the world it seems so hard to recognize it).

I would also like to thank all the satellites of this Planet for all the infos, videos ( @Raomina you are my savior!), translations and emotions shared in the last days: Yuzuru truly deserves a so passionate and generous fandom <3 :thanks:

I'll be randomly coming in and out to say things as they come to my mind.

What a blessing was it that he ended up choosing Chopin instead of LGC? I know most of us would've liked LGC on Oly ice. But can you imagine the strain that amazing but unforgiving program would put on him?

That said, Zu, please take your time to heal properly. If you wish, we'd like to see LGC again, perhaps in show settings?:snonegai:

QUOTING MYSELF HERE TO PROVE WHAT I SAID IN NOVEMBER. I told ya, years in this sport, I know the history.

On 11/15/2017 at 9:41 PM, meoima said:

It is not about whether you won WC the year before Olympic or not, it is the human mentality. When you win the biggest events right before the Olympic, you suffer the hype and the expectation from the media and your whole country if you're the star. 

Usually, the reigning WCs or the GPF winners get a lot of hype before Olympic. Everyone expected them to do well at the Olympics, the attention can be over the top. In my opinion, that kind of attention and hype were not ideal.

Evan was the reigning WC and GPF was an exception as the risk of a high BV layout plays a huge part as well. Evan did not jump quad at Vancouver, so the chance to mess up was very low. So overall the hype and attention on Evan were low... overall the less hype the better. 

Attention and hype can be a double-edged sword. Too much pressure is very harmful. Yuzuru clearly felt that at Boston. And the Russian commentators at GPF 2015 nailed it so well, the God mentality (the pressure to repeat WR) is not easy to handle. People praised Yuna for her Vancouver performance, but not many people remember how she bombed totally at WC 2010 one month after that. People praised Yuna for skating clean at WS 2013 and Sochi (tight landings whatever) but in my opinion, avoiding GP was one of the reasons. At Sochi, even though under pressure as the reigning WC and Olympic champion, Yuna did not bear the highest expectation. She came back from injury so people who bet on her were not overwhelming, and Mao won all the events before that, so it somewhat calmed Yuna down too.

I think as Yuzuru does not have to suffer the hype of GP series anymore, he will have more time to calm his mentality down and analyze what should be analyzed. Yes they will still pay attention to him as the reigning WC and Olympic Champion, but less hype from GP series is still somehow useful. Yuzuru will be fine. 

---------

On 11/11/2017 at 4:37 AM, meoima said:

Just saying it might be one of the possibilities. For example 

1994, Urmanov won by simplifying the layout. He turned 4T into 3T.

1998, Kulik won by simplifying his programs

2002, Yagudin won also by simplifying his layout

2006, Plushenko simplified his layout 

2010, Evan simplified his layout 

2014, Yuzuru won not because of his BV, he scored the same with Patrick in the free (because both were messy), he won because his SP was cleaner (and, in a way, not doing 4T3T but 3lz3T for SP instead is also simplifying the layout). 

2018?????

So yeap... IF (just IF, because I don’t know the true context) Plushenko intentionally told NBC that Yuzuru only need 4T and 4S, he might have a point. 

Of course I still expect Yuzuru to do all the quads he can if he recovers fast in time, because he wants that. Challenging is what he is. 

And of course, I don’t rule out the % that Yuzuru will skate clean his 5 quads layout at the Olympic. So... fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, beki said:

I disagree. Yuzu and Brian came in with a strategy of psychological warfare and Nathan fell for it. They bluffed him. All the others were more prepared to skate from within themselves. He was too inexperienced and unprepared. He hadn’t beaten these guys at Worlds yet either. I knew the top 4 could handle the big moment because we’ve seen it before.

This. Is. My. Favorite. Analysis. Of. This. Whole. Journey. 

Yuzu didn't show a moment of weakness until he had the free and then touched his ankle and told Borser how hard it was. Until then he was so smiley and giggly and so carefree. (part of the giggles could have been the high potent pain killers. Lol jk). Anyone who is there to win it without proper outlook of competition and introspection into one's plan would be SHOOK. Amongst the top 5, the only one who plans his layout according to the competition is Nate. I want to say he deserved the sp. Its harsh. But he do. For overhyping himself, setting himself in the pr bandwagon for more sponsorship, for dragging the sport through literal mud, talking about mastering artistry when he had to know that he is a baby there, for not respecting SLB's beautiful choreo, for being American and belonging to usfsa and their ridiculous politics directly or indirectly... And I don't get the redemption arc. He skated without any pressure because he knew he would lose and he did 5 quads?? I'm sorry, a redemption arc needs a character development. Not this. 

Basically I have been keeping a boiler in my heart for Nathan since CoR. Look at athletes like Shoma with much less talent than Nathan doing so well bc of hardwork and then Nathan with his ridiculous jumping abilities and careless attitude towards the rest of the sport. (Not gonna start on the costume at all. OmfJesus)

8 minutes ago, Yolo3a said:

This. Is. My. Favorite. Analysis. Of. This. Whole. Journey. 

Yuzu didn't show a moment of weakness until he had the free and then touched his ankle and told Borser how hard it was. Until then he was so smiley and giggly and so carefree. (part of the giggles could have been the high potent pain killers. Lol jk). Anyone who is there to win it without proper outlook of competition and introspection into one's plan would be SHOOK. Amongst the top 5, the only one who plans his layout according to the competition is Nate. I want to say he deserved the sp. Its harsh. But he do. For overhyping himself, setting himself in the pr bandwagon for more sponsorship, for dragging the sport through literal mud, talking about mastering artistry when he had to know that he is a baby there, for not respecting SLB's beautiful choreo, for being American and belonging to usfsa and their ridiculous politics directly or indirectly... And I don't get the redemption arc. He skated without any pressure because he knew he would lose and he did 5 quads?? I'm sorry, a redemption arc needs a character development. Not this. 

Basically I have been keeping a boiler in my heart for Nathan since CoR. Look at athletes like Shoma with much less talent than Nathan doing so well bc of hardwork and then Nathan with his ridiculous jumping abilities and careless attitude towards the rest of the sport. (Not gonna start on the costume at all. OmfJesus)

I think you are blaming Nathan too much. He is young and doesn't have control over many things, he is just trying to do his best like everyone else, maybe you don't like his approach to skating but I wish we Yuzuru's fans don't become like Patrick fans and other skaters fans that bash a skater just for being too good at the technical stuff. Nathan has good qualities besides his jumps so let's hope he can improve them after some years of hard work. Just as Yuzuru's artistry suffered when he became a senior for the jumps, it was until he gained experience that he was able to become the great skater we know now, so the youngsters still have a lot ahead them.

I've been celebrating in other threads but never did drop by on the main to wish Yuzu huge congratulations for just being his stubborn, lovable, determined self and seeing his efforts paid off. Thank you for making me suffer like this. 

I've been finding the most interesting articles around, some quite good, actually. Of course, with them being from US media, you can expect Nathan mentions, but there's a few good ones to share, if you haven't seen them yet:

Golden roar: Japan's Yuzuru Hanyu displays mastery in defense of his Olympic title

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-olympics-figure-skating-mens-20180216-story.html

McCarvel: While Yuzuru Hanyu owns the night, men's event finishes with a bang

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/mccarvel-while-yuzuru-hanyu-owns-night-mens-event-finishes-bang

Then there are the uncanny ones:

NBC showed one of the world's best figure skaters as he prepared for his routine, and nobody knew what he was doing

http://www.businessinsider.com/yuzuru-hanyu-figure-skating-winter-olympics-baffling-warmup-2018-2