General Yuzuru Chat

Seems like Yuzuru was also featured in a radio program. I'm not really sure what program this is but he seems to be really happy and excited. From what I could understand, they seem to mention about Yuzuru watching Tokyo Ghoul anime and his love for video games (they mentioned Monster Hunter too). Maybe someone could tell us in detail about the content?

Even if you didn't understand Japanese you should hear it. You could hear that he's laughing and smiling and generally being his dorky self :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

4 minutes ago, matchanodoame said:

Seems like Yuzuru was also featured in a radio program. I'm not really sure what program this is but he seems to be really happy and excited. From what I could understand, they seem to mention about Yuzuru watching Tokyo Ghoul anime and his love for video games (they mentioned Monster Hunter too). Maybe someone could tell us in detail about the content?

Even if you didn't understand Japan you should hear it. You could hear that he's laughing and smiling and generally being his dorky self :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

He sounds sooooo sleepy and tired tho 

4 minutes ago, matchanodoame said:

Even if you didn't understand Japan you should hear it. You could hear that he's laughing and smiling and generally being his dorky self :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

The male host of the radio program (Natsuki Hanae) voices Kaneki, the main character of Tokyo Ghoul (and the person on the mug that Zhenya gave Yuzu) :biggrin:

As a hopeless anime / games nerd, I think I need to give this radio cast a couple re-listens so that I can hear Yuzu geek out...

3 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Reveal hidden contents

GANGNEUNG, South Korea — At a figure-skating competition in Moscow last October, Yuzuru Hanyu was told that he resembled to some a heroic character, delicate but fierce, from the Japanese tradition of anime.

He did not see himself that way, the slender, long-legged Hanyu said in an interview, his hair flopping over one eyebrow. But with a smile, he added, “I like to win with some drama.”

He could have had no idea how much drama lay ahead.

Less than three weeks later, Hanyu sustained ligament damage to his right ankle while rehearsing a difficult four-revolution jump. Nearly four months elapsed before he could compete again, here at the Winter Olympics, but he showed little erosion of skill or victorious determination from the layoff.

Skating on Saturday, Hanyu, 23, did not perform flawlessly before what was essentially a home crowd, in an arena where fans waved dozens of Japanese flags. But he displayed sufficient stamina, jumping ability, elastic spins and ethereal grace to win a second consecutive gold medal, becoming the first men’s repeat Olympic champion since Dick Button of the United States in 1948 and 1952.

The ankle is not completely healed, and Hanyu said he worried at times before the Games whether he would be able to skate again. But the injured joint held up enough to support another winning performance, with 317.85 points. Afterward, Hanyu said playfully, “I’d like to thank my ankle, you did a good job.”

He prevailed with a strategy of restraint, avoiding the riskiest quadruple jumps in his four-and-a-half-minute routine and relying on the completeness of his ability. His countryman, Shoma Uno, 20, took the silver medal with 306.90 points. And Javier Fernandez, 26, a training partner of Hanyu’s, won Spain’s first Olympic skating medal, taking bronze with 305.24 points.

Even though Nathan Chen of the United States, who was among the early favorites, did not reach the medal podium, he did find some measure of redemptive satisfaction — and perhaps some sting of regret — with a performance of audacious ambition that brought him fifth place over all. Vincent Zhou of the United States finished sixth, and Adam Rippon, also of the United States, was 10th.

With nothing to lose after finishing a disastrous 17th in Friday’s short program, Chen became the first Olympian to land five quadruple jumps cleanly in a routine and actually attempted six, but he put his hands to the ice on a quad flip. He still won the free skate.

He made the decision to attempt six quads on Friday night, after the short program. Relieved of expectation and feeling “just an anger,” he told himself, “I’ll just go for it.”

“I definitely did want to redeem myself after the two short programs that I did here,” Chen said in reference to his mistake-filled performances in the team and singles competition.

He added: “As much as I tried to deny it, I felt the pressure a lot before the short program, especially thinking about scores and placement and all that. And that was completely out of my control. That just tightened me up and made me really cautious on the ice. I just had to completely forget about expectations and allow myself to be myself.”

By contrast, Hanyu was every bit himself in both the Olympic short and long program — unhurried, resolute, staking a claim to be the greatest skater ever with his speed, artistry, coverage of the ice and technical skill.

Reached by telephone in New York, Button said of Hanyu, “I think he’s beautiful; he moves like a dream.”

Wearing a white tunic on Saturday, Hanyu performed as a character out of Japanese folklore: Abe no Seimei, a spiritual adviser and astrologer from the 11th century with Merlin-like mystical powers. He received one perfect score of 10 for musical interpretation and two 10s for the design of his program.

Hanyu can appear so relaxed on the ice that Julian Yee, a Malaysian skater, said he “looks like he wakes up from bed and goes and jumps.”

On Nov. 9, though, Hanyu’s Olympic chances grew uncertain, when he landed awkwardly while rehearsing a quad lutz before a competition in Japan. It is the most difficult of the four-revolution jumps currently being performed. Hanyu was trying to perfect the lutz, in part, to match Chen’s magnificent jumping ability.

But Hanyu’s legs pretzeled upon landing the jump. He would not be able to train again on the ice for about two months. As he recovered, he rehearsed the jumps on the floor of his training center in Toronto and used visualization techniques to imagine himself completing the maneuvers in competition.

“My strength is, I’m able to really analyze myself and have that image and try to match that with the physical skating,” Hanyu said Saturday.

He arrived at the Olympics, having been able to practice his triple axel for only about three weeks and his quad jumps for two weeks. He avoided the risky quad lutz at these Games, performing instead two quad salchows and two quad toeloops, which are considered easier and more reliable, in his long program.

In the end, the injury “could be the best thing that ever happened” for Hanyu, said Jackie Wong, a prominent blogger from New York who is a former skater and skating judge and who is covering the Olympics. “He wasn’t going for unnecessary difficulty.”

Hanyu disregarded any talk about being the greatest ever in his sport, saying, “I’m not the best skater.” But others were not so reluctant.

“If you want him to be, you wouldn’t be wrong,” said Kurt Browning of Canada, a four-time world champion in the late 1980s and early 1990s. “Why not. He’s everything. He’s the skater, he’s the jumper, but quintessentially, he’s the performer. He seems to have the superpower to take all the pressure, all the expectations and all the lights and all the cameras, and somehow he’s able to use it as a competitor.”

Thanks @kaeryth:thanks:

46 minutes ago, micaelis said:

Being American I have only congratulations for Nathan.  He managed to redeem himself.  But also, considering Nathan's FS score, I think Yuzu dodged a bullet here.  Had Nathan not had that utterly disastrous SP he would be the one with the gold.  So I must also congratulate Nathan for that lamentable SP.  He cooperated with the skating gods and sacrificed himself for the good of Yuzu's gold.

Honestly there are MANY "what ifs" that I kept thinking after Yuzu won. Actually the "what if" of Javi delivered a better LP and won over Yuzu is higher than Nathan w better SP (as Javi was more experienced, in better start w only 4pts under Yuzu, and he actually DID that in Worlds 16 in which the situation was pretty similar, Nathan failed SP twice, not once, he can't help it). So many "what ifs" but Yuzu won Oly not only becuz he's good in scoring (which Nathan could too with tons of quads), but becuz his tough mentality defeated the Oly nerve (which the rest failed, Shoma be exception lol). And he defeated it TWICE, not ONCE to get 2 gold medals, it's fair as skaters = human + ability and should be tested on both, as otherwise they're skating machine, not skaters anymore.

11 minutes ago, robin said:

He sounds sooooo sleepy and tired tho 

I think he does sound tired but at the same time excited. He mentioned that he's more nervous talking with the host(s) compared to FS :smiley-laughing021:

12 minutes ago, souyouki said:

The male host of the radio program (Natsuki Hanae) voices Kaneki, the main character of Tokyo Ghoul (and the person on the mug that Zhenya gave Yuzu) :biggrin:

As a hopeless anime / games nerd, I think I need to give this radio cast a couple re-listens so that I can hear Yuzu geek out...

Ah, that's why he keeps calling "Kaneki-kun" again and again :laughing: 

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Tokyo Ghoul so I don't know what he's referencing but he's definitely making some references. I like that confirming his weeb status is a priority :laughing:

• Yuzu calls the seiyu 'Kaneki-kun' as someone said above, says he of course knows Hinaka-san but (something went 'Pa'???)
  • Says 'I'm relieved' about getting the gold medal but stumbles when he says it either because he's exhausted or - like he says - because he's nervous - 'more nervous than during my free' LOL
  • The hosts say they heard he was a huge fan of Tokyo Ghoul and he says 'hahahaha...haha..haaah' (either slightly embarrassed or referencing something in the anime) but confirms that he's a huge fan of Tokyo Ghoul and says he often watches anime
  • The host also asks him excitedly if he owns merchandise and he sort of reluctantly admits he owns a lot (lmao he's totally a weeb)
  • He got into Monster Hunter after doing the CM and has been playing it ever since
  • He hasn't gotten the latest work (version?) says he wants it but..... (trails off in a sort of 'but I can't get it/it's hard to get' sort of playful inflection - my interpretation)
  • The weapon he uses in Monster Hunter is a Charge X?? And Roman?? (idk man, he's bonding with the male host about it tho)
  • Says 'Kaneki-kun!' (which is from Tokyo Ghoul) and probably some other weeb phrases LOLOLOL
4 hours ago, Moria Polonius said:

Guys, do you remember that story about Yuzuru apologizing to TAT on his knees for losing Boston Worlds? I mentioned it on reddit in the context of Yuzu hugging TAT now, and I've been asked for source. Was there a tweet by TAT or a translation of an interview? Does anyone have a link to that?

I hope this can help you! The first is the recording (I believe), and the second tweet is the transcription of it. On GS, Sorrento and Marin had translated the words.

Marin's translation:

First part is about Javier and his preparation for Boston, then she says:
"I was sitting having rest from endless TV live streaming when Yuzuru came to me he kneel down and apologized , I am not his coach but it doesn't matter, I am his fan and he is perfectly aware of this. I even brought music for him , maybe one day.. maybe one day.." Grishin - "apologized for what? for disappointment? (not making your hopes?) " Tat: "yes, but it doesn't matter , this is not end of the world".

Sorrento's translation:

First part is about Javi how he managed to win and that he approached TAT and said like all men do- that everything fell into place, in the right time- all of his efforts and hardwork paid off.
"TAT: Yuzu also had approched me. I've been sitting there trying to relax and unwind in between our multiple broadcasts. I've been having my rest and he approached and... he just came to me, kneeled down on the floor and said: "Forgive me" (you can say "I am sorry" here but the meaning would be slightly different, I think he did a dogeza poze. Is it called like this in Japanese?) I am not his coach but anyways I am huge fan of his and he sure knows that. And that was it, I even brought a music for him here (to Boston) so who knows, maybe, maybe... Grishin (male commentator): He was sorry for what? That he did not meet your expectations? TAT: Yes. Well. No big deal, really. Not the end of the world."

Source