General Yuzuru Chat

14 minutes ago, Yolo3a said:

Am I the only one happy with the Nathan hype? The least pressure on Yuzu, the better no? 

I'm hopeless at merging my posts

It is true, but we are selfish fans and want the pressure off Yuzu so that he have to prove himself (in his opinion, not ours), and evenly spread across all his rivals, so none of them flop, because if they do good -> scores before Yuzu are good -> Already fueled by the need to prove himself Yuzu is further fueled by successes of his competitors -> ASTRONOMICAL PERFORMANCE from Yuzu :biggrin:

1 minute ago, ralucutzagy said:

Tbh, I don't think he will stay in the Olys Village ... at Sochi he stayed at a hotel iirc ...

half and half. During the post-compettion interview he said he shared room with Machida, then later something happened and Machida was sharing with Dai-chan (and apparently one day they were so lazy they just went out of beds to eat burgers together, tho I need fans of the two from that time to confirm my memory)

So he said in an interview afterwards - I hope he goes to a good hotel, drinks bottled water from Japan and eats at the team Japan kitchen for obvious reasons

edit - and wears his mask at all times off the ice

I feel like the BESP commentators from the early days  before they all got glaucoma - wrap him up in cotton wool - sterile, antiseptic cotton wool- until he gets back on a plane to Toronto.

2 часа назад, Xen сказал:

Nah, I don't think Yuzu would end up that direction. From his interviews, it seems his musicality cannot be contained, it'll burst out sooner or later. Plus he's opinionated, and a bit OCD about how *he* wants to skate. This seems a bit different from Nate, Shoma and even Boyang-at the very least the latter 3 have not stated what their ideal in skating is, I think; with only Boyang so far saying he chose and insisted on his SP music. That ideal about transitions and difficulty was already in his mind from the time he was with Tuzuki (sp?) sensei. Plus you factor in that Nanami sensei is a choreographer too, and I don't think we'd be too far from now. Maybe a bit slower progress wise, but at some point arrive at the same place.

But overall, the younger guys in their 2nd/3rd season seem artistically *behind* Yuzu when he was in his 2nd/3rd season in seniors level. At the very least that's my impression. 

Well, we'll never know. Of course Yuzu always had great musicality but it's also important to find "your choreographer". I like how Yuzu works with Jeff - for me it's a match made in heaven, even though in the first year PW maybe was to soon, but it was great on the second one, Chopin and LGC are also masterpieces. And of course I'm forever grateful Shae-Lynn for SEIMEI and how thoughtful she was making choreo for it.

47 minutes ago, Aotoshiro said:

I love how we put so much meaning to this 'got irritated by US media' comment :biggrin: It's like the ultimate Beware of The Nice Ones trope done in real life.

If that was true, we wouldn't get David Wilson complainign about Yuzu wanting to skate to POTO in his first year, and melting over the letter asking to choreograph R&J2. Also, there is a difference between 'doing what you were told to" and "Doing what you were told to and adding a bit if Extra from yourself" which I believe is also what Yuzu has said about his first years. As to Nanami, and finding it challenging to skate to that music, it was actually pointed that a lot of young skaters have to be directed in their music choices, because they're influenced by the outside (I think there was an article where coach complained that all of his Junior females wanted to skate to Frozen after movie release), and branching out even in the directions that might not be comfortable for a skater is also part of the development. Also, there is that one interview, I think after Sochi, where he said that while now he is recognized as a jumper, when he was younger that was the element he sucked at the most and everybody recognized him for his spins. So, while it's possible he did focus on jumps before coming to Canada, it might be just because he wanted to power through his weakest point (Yuzu Style!) and his atypical flexibility and spin positions covered enough points in 6.0 system for him to not worry about steps.

Wasn't both R&J2 and POTO both his first choices too? Also R&J1 was a choice by Abe-coach, but he agreed on it after listening to it, even though he still didn't quite catch the concept of love (he went to watch that film specifically to check if he can understand it, lol, this nerd)

Oh, I didn't mean to say he rolled over and went with whatever. I don't disagree with you. I was just arguing that in the earlier days of his career, he wasn't as different from the 'youngsters' as he seems now. He wasn't as involved and assertive as he is now, I also think that's perfectly normal and it was probably very smart of him to go "hmm... these people do have more experience so maybe they do know better". I think in a way that also shows maturity. But with his own experience also came confidence and the desire to do things his way. I think before he was gathering knowledge, and after he started using that knowledge to reach towards his ideal. Now, he is beyond remarkable and the way he seems fully in control of EVERYTHING he does, on the ice and off is one of the reasons I admire him. But he wasn't always like this and, like I said, there's nothing wrong with it. That's actually why I like his apparent dynamic with Brian this year. I think they've both learned to give and take. Yuzu has learned to listen to Brian, because Brian has more experience, while also asserting himself and Brian has learned what Yuzu wants exceeds what Yuzu needs and sometimes you have to trust that he does know what he's doing. That's why I think the 4Lo experience last year was great for them. It's too bad 4Lz didn't work this season... despite saying he didn't really want Yuzu doing 4Lz, Brian looked so happy and proud when Yuzu landed it at CoR.

Anyway, back on topic, there are many years and phases to Yuzu's 'when I was younger'. By focusing on jumps, I meant pretty much since he started training quads. Maybe even before, a bit, but mostly as a senior. And I don't disagree, but it's still focusing on jumps and putting the rest second, so it's not unreasonable to question whether he would have reached the same kind of skating skills levels he has now, if he hadn't moved to Toronto. And again doesn't make him very different from Shoma and co. Which makes sense, because he was in a somewhat similar position.

The big difference is Yuzu had four years to become OGM Worthy and halfway through he even made the big decision to move to Canada, which IMO, played an essential part in reaching this goal. The others had much less time - especially Nathan - and I think also less drive. Yuzu was a train on a track and nobody and nothing was going to stand in his way to aiming for gold. The others seem less... passionate about it and more fearful. I'm not sure if any of them actually believe they can win. I'm pretty sure Yuzu did. And that might actually be the big difference between him and the rest. He probably believes he can win and then works hard to make it so. The others work hard in order to see if they can win, but they start from "I don't know if I can, but I'll try." Yuzu starts from "I can and I will do my best to".

(and sorry, I got a little carried away :headdesk:)

3 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

It is possible that Brian is casting doubt on the 4Lo because it sounds quite plausible (we're mostly believing it, aren't we), and it makes the idea of a clean Yuzu across two skates quite likely. That would prompt any gold contender with undecided layout to realise that they do absolutely need to go clean. It's the only way to beat a clean Yuzu. That might make them consider using a lower BV layout as their main plan, with anything else as backup. And then Yuzu might do the 4Lo anyway.

Possible. Is it likely that he's trying a kind of double bluff like that? I dunno, might depend on just how much the TCC erasure annoyed Brian, I suppose.

I think that Brian may be toying with people's minds a bit – a mixture of truths and half-truths – to counter unhelpful media hype and to keep the opposition guessing.