General Yuzuru Chat

Just now, Murieleirum said:

So basically the only jump he will have to concentrate for is the 4Loop. Good that he's taking out the 4Lz then. But I want two +3GOE 4Loops in the Short and the Free then. 

He has to concentrate for all his jumps since he's off ice for one month and that is his landing leg. But that 4lo need a bit extra attention I think :biggrin: ( and its "new" compare to 4S 4T 3A)

2 minutes ago, Katt said:

His injuries affect on lutz, loop and flip and considering he just back to full training in early Jan, it make sense that he decide to take out 4lz to focus more on other jumps, especially 4lo since he has to do it in both program and he failed to land both in COR

After a series of bad news since November, I'll *blindly* trust any positive one, and why shouldn't I when it comes from his coach. Sometime analyzing too much will take away all the positive vibes.  

I'd think avoiding a jump that he landed just once in competition, then fell/popped in practice about a hundred times though he did fine in TCC with it, is a smart decision for an Olympic comeback. It's a strength to recognise that it could be a weakness under that very high pressure situation and avoid it. He's going with the jumps he has landed in competition so many times. It's good, especially because hopefully the loop has started behaving again.

Frankly, I'd prefer to think it's not a physical issue. A mental block can be overcome, especially after the pressure cooker of the Olympics has been navigated successfully. If his training hasn't progressed enough that he can't jump the 4Lz because of the pick, then I'd rather he didn't risk himself at all, for even an Olympic gold. :shrug: That's just how I feel. I hope he's avoiding it because he can but he doesn't want to.

1 hour ago, xeyra said:

Really people, all jumps are GOOD except 4Lz. Don't be anxious, be excited that his jumps are GOOD! This is GOOD news! 

If Brian can say that, it must be because it's good by Yuzu's standard too. And Yuzu's good is VERY GOOD!

And I'm still not fully convinced that Yuzu won't go for 4Lz, after he spent the last off season denying OUTRIGHT that he's not including 4Lz.  We'll see what Trollzuru brings! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

1 hour ago, MrPudding said:

ok but can someone please assure me that he can still win over a clean 6 quads fs

If he's clean or clean-ish, Yuzu will win. Period. South Korea hasn't forgot about the Sochi scandal about Yuna's silver. They will not allow a deja vu, especially since Yuzu's bv isn't trailing as much compared to Nathan/Shoma/Boyang.

1 hour ago, xeyra said:

:rofl:

not this again :dpooh:

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

Actually, it could be strategy, following Nathan's "I'll decide on my layout after practice." Like Lutz isn't perfect - cue in rivals feeling a bit relieved - but not saying he won't do it. And we know he landed it on his first competition, so it's not impossible he'd do it again - cue in rivals confused.

I just want Yuzu to make whatever decisions he needs to make to try to not have any regrets at the end of the day.

I'm still a bit worried about loop, though. It was very moody in the beginning of the season, even though it was supposedly good in practice, too.

I agree with this, it might be strategic.. cause who knows? not like he said he'll do 4Lz at media day either :shrug: 

but whatever, I'm just glad that all the other jumps are in good conditions now, it puts my mind at ease :tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp: whatever layout his bringing, I believe it will be the best for him that yuzu and his team has thought hard at..

also:

31 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Apparently the article says both that all jumps are good except 4Lz AND that he'll avoid 4Lz at the Olympics. To clarify, from the same translator:

this article doesn't direct quote that brian says he will not do 4Lz tho...

the direct quote is that yuzu will participate at olys and all the jumps are good except 4Lz and yuzu will aim for gold.. while the not bringing 4Lz is only stated as the source (brian) also said that 4Lz is being avoided(?) which is a bit gray area of saying so imo :14066882: it doesn't say like yuzu will not attempt 4Lz or something in a straight manner.. someone else who's more versed in japanese can check it out: (I bolded the words down there)

Spoiler

【平昌共同】平昌冬季五輪のフィギュアスケート男子で2連覇が懸かる羽生結弦選手(ANA)のコーチ、ブライアン・オーサー氏が5日、会場のある江陵で取材に応じ、右足首故障からの復帰を目指す同選手について「もちろん個人種目は出る」と明言した。故障の原因となった大技の4回転ルッツは回避するという

9日からの団体は回避する方向となっており、16日のショートプログラムに照準を合わせる。年明けに練習を再開したばかりだが、オーサー氏は「(ジャンプは)4回転ルッツ以外は全ていい状態だ。彼はトレーニングがよくできている。驚きだ。当然、金メダルが狙える」と太鼓判を押した。

ETA: I took too long, some satellites have already answered this on the last page :P

I was getting really wary of the sudden explosion of posts in this thread because I couldn't check it at work, but fortunately is is not bad news :smiley-scared003:

Also, I feel that we are overthinking everything lately (understandably so) because we are worried. However, the only thing I needed to know was that he is healthy and that is what Brian confirmed so you have a very happy Neenah here  :happy:  Anything else will be clear shortly and I am totally ready for this whole mess to be over for Yuzu's and our sake :drama:

1 hour ago, MrPudding said:

i'm here and i'm feeling sick rn.. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

why would Brian suddenly disclose something that major...

it's reported that every jump.is fine except 4lz, so is there a chance that he could put it back?

after soooo much secrecy why suddenly this...

Well it's a week before the big event and most of his rivals are already preparing to skate in two days. I think it's ok now ^-^

Just now, WinForPooh said:

I'd think avoiding a jump that he landed just once in competition, then fell/popped in practice about a hundred times though he did fine in TCC with it, is a smart decision for an Olympic comeback. It's a strength to recognise that it could be a weakness under that very high pressure situation and avoid it. He's going with the jumps he has landed in competition so many times. It's good, especially because hopefully the loop has started behaving again.

Frankly, I'd prefer to think it's not a physical issue. A mental block can be overcome, especially after the pressure cooker of the Olympics has been navigated successfully. If his training hasn't progressed enough that he can't jump the 4Lz because of the pick, then I'd rather he didn't risk himself at all, for even an Olympic gold. :shrug: That's just how I feel. I hope he's avoiding it because he can but he doesn't want to.

We don't know how his practice goes and how he feel so I won't make any speculation about it. Like I said before I'm so happy to hear that his training is going well so I don't care about 4lz or not. I trust Yuzuru and his team to come up with the best decision with his current condition :smile:

45 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Yet another panic over English to Japanese and back again. 🙄

In Japanese, we can omit the subject and we can use hiragana and katakana (ETA: I meant "hiragana and Chinese characters") quite freely. In a situation like this, our language itself is a troll :facepalm:  However, if Brian can say this to the press, English-based media will also report this soon, (hopefully with direct quotes), and even if they won't, we'll know what he'll do in about a week.

But If he has regained most of his jumps, that means he is getting quite well. I’m very happy to hear that.

1 minute ago, sweetwater said:

In Japanese, we can omit the subject and we can use hiragana and katakana quite freely. In a situation like this, our language itself is a troll :facepalm:  However, if Brian can say this to the press, English-based media will also report this soon, (hopefully with direct quotes), and even if they won't, we'll know what he'll do in about a week.

But If he has regained most of his jumps, that means he is getting quite well. I’m very happy to hear that.

I think if by now, as of early Feb, Yuzuru has regained most of his jumps aside from 4lz, then he will mostly not bring 4lz to the Olympics. It’s just a week anyway. They get to decide by now. I think it’s fine. His top priority is to skate clean. 

I'm so relieved that we have confirmation that all the other quads are good:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: (not to be taken for granted these days:tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:)

I'm relieved his 4Lo is good too, it means not only that ankle is 100% healed but also that there aren't many issues with using that right foot for the 4Lo take off too:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

That 4Lz isn't going that well isn't a surprise, it's the most recent jump he added to his program, and he has done it only once in competition. Per Yuzu's words it was a moody jump even when he was healthy, after that long off-ice time it likely is the hardest jump to recover, even without taking into account that it adds much more strain on his recently injured foot, too, because of the insane time of flight he has on the jump (with his darn pure picking technique and delayed rotation:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw::13877886:)

No wonder if he/his team think re-training the jump in barely a month, when there is so much to be done, it's an unnecessary risk to take. It's a matter of "not enough time/higher risks in terms of stability and injury" vs "being the 4Lz", and I'm sure Yuzuru pondered everything and if he's not going to bring the 4Lz to Olys it is the best decision in his current situation, without doubt and if instead he's going for it...:peekapooh:well, it still would be the best decision, because it's Yuzuru we're talking about:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

tbh some of his 4Lz landings (WTT practice, some COR) looked like accidents waiting to happen to me:tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw: I love his 4Lz but I feel less panicked more calm if he isn't going to do those kind of landings after his recent injury. Of course such landings can happen with other jumps, too, but they are more frequent with a new jump

Also, that Brian is surprised by Yuzuru's training going well actually makes me a bit :tumblr_inline_mm2wbbdJC51qz4rgp: because it means he (Brian) himself wasn't feeling that optimistic when Yuzu first went back on the ice...:tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid:

:hachimaki:

11 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

Also, that Brian is surprised by Yuzuru's training going well actually makes me a bit :tumblr_inline_mm2wbbdJC51qz4rgp: because it means he (Brian) himself wasn't feeling that optimistic when Yuzu first went back on the ice...:tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid:

:hachimaki:

Well Brian's definition of Yuzu's training going well might be "He's not so taken over by Kuyashii that he's kill everything in a ten KM radius. My hair, Javi's hair, effie, the ice at TCC get to live a bit longer." Brian might be more concerned about Yuzu's mental state than physical state-is my guess, so maybe he means Yuzu's doing better mentally/calmer than he expected (given Yuzu's general intensity).

6 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

It's either an indication of Brian's expectations (low), or an indication of how much Yuzuru was burning from Kuyashii and evolved into a supersayan that allowed him to regain his top form in the shortest amount of time. In any case, it's great news. 

From Brian's direct words here he doesn't say Yuzu won't do 4lz, just except 4lz everything else is good. I don't really buy Jpn articles so unless they quoted Brian saying he would leave 4lz out I keep skeptical. 4lz is risky, it strengthens bv but if he can't pull it off cleanly it it might affect his mental at the start and ultimately, the rest of his perf. But having a stronger bv might give him more confidence... Idk, in the end no one knows Yuzu well but himself, can only trust he will make the right decision.

18 minutes ago, Xen said:

maybe he means Yuzu's doing better mentally/calmer than he expected

Thanks for putting this beautiful spin on coach's words. I think he means the same too, for posterity's sake. 

But good news I suppose? I really really don't have very optimistic outlook on Oly. I feel like the injury was much more severe than what we knew and some time in the coming off season, we will get a docu or tell all book and cry a new River on the planet.